Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Here hehe  (Read 1540 times)
jhk

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »

Hello fellow forumers,

I recieved my OM-03R yesterday, and I spent playing on it (who wouldn't?  bigrin). I was very satisfied with the tone, but there is one major problem: my top string has some serious rattling going on. It doesn't rattle when I strum it lightly, but when pick with medium force, it makes this horrible rattling noise. I don't know what's going on. Maybe the action is too low? The instrument has been kept in a perfectly humidified environment. Also, have any of you tried hammering on/tapping anything 12th fret and higher (numerically)? I keep on getting rattling noises if I tap anything higher than 12th. Any suggestions?

Thnx
dcarey

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 01:45:39 AM »

Sounds like too low action.

BUT...don't do anything for at least a week except maybe humidify the guitar.
Being solid wood, it will take a while for it to acclimate to its new surroundings.
Don't be too concerned at this point.

Dan

"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt
Broadus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:25:20 AM »

Hello fellow forumers,

I recieved my OM-03R yesterday, and I spent playing on it (who wouldn't?  bigrin). I was very satisfied with the tone, but there is one major problem: my top string has some serious rattling going on. It doesn't rattle when I strum it lightly, but when pick with medium force, it makes this horrible rattling noise. I don't know what's going on. Maybe the action is too low? The instrument has been kept in a perfectly humidified environment. Also, have any of you tried hammering on/tapping anything 12th fret and higher (numerically)? I keep on getting rattling noises if I tap anything higher than 12th. Any suggestions?

Thnx

Congrats on your purchase. When you say "rattling," do you mean buzzing? I heard some rattling in my L, but it was the wire from the Baggs volume control on the sound hole. I just bent it away a bit and the annoying noise went away.

Bill

Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)
jhk

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:41:33 AM »

Broadus,

I don't think it's buzzing. It's just some crazy rattling (sounds a bit like the rattle of the snares on a snare drum). The OM-03R I got is just straight up acoustic so I don't have a volume control. I think it's something wrong with the setup of the guitar? I don't know. Thanks for the feedback.
Broadus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 03:23:32 AM »

Broadus,

I don't think it's buzzing. It's just some crazy rattling (sounds a bit like the rattle of the snares on a snare drum). The OM-03R I got is just straight up acoustic so I don't have a volume control. I think it's something wrong with the setup of the guitar? I don't know. Thanks for the feedback.

If it's not string buzz, I don't know what could be loose. We need some expertise here.

I did notice this with mine and it was just poor technique: fretting too far back from the fret produced an annoying "rattling" sound. I just remembered that. It seems that it was on the D or A string. I was really aggravated, saw where I was fretting, corrected it, and got rid of the sound.    I doubt that's your problem, though.

Maybe someone who's been around guitars a little longer will chime in.

Bill

Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)
morgan_hiver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »

I think it's just the poor set-up. I went to a shop near by and tried this model and it sounded great...except for the Low E! It buzzed like a mother. Then I went to Sam Ash and tried the OM-03, OM-03R, OM-03RE and the cutaway. All of them were wonderful. Bring it to a shop and have them look at it. Honestly, there is nothing you can do to fix it yourself. If you were able to, well, you would not be here asking this question. Trust your mechanic! If they can't fix it, return, return, return. wacko
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:30:19 AM »

The same thing happened to me. Humidify it as suggested and then take a close look at the nut. I think there were a few that needed to be shimmed before they left the factory. The tell tale sign in this case is that the nut grooves are way too deep. I think the intern was on it for a while before they caught him. :)

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:49:43 AM »

My money is on too low action as the top suspect;  get a good set-up for your style and for the type of strings you will be using and see if that doesn't help.

Could be a simple truss rod adjustment.     

I have had a similar buzz on my OM-03R a time or two.    Guess what worked for me ...
I pushed each of the bridge pins in pretty firmly and the buzz went away.     A few weeks later when I changed strings I noticed the same thing happening.   Pushed the pins in a little more firmly and the buzz was gone.   I haven't heard anyone mention this before.   Perhaps the bridge pins are rattling in their holes slightly at one or more stings.   That's an easy one to check at least.

Tuffythepug
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »

I had the same thing with a dread I owned. I know that rattle and yeah, it's not a buzz, it's like what the hell is loose in my guitar? The good news is it was a minor fix. If I recall it had to do with how the string was sitting in the nut or the saddle, either way it took like five minutes to resolve (on the luthiers part).

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

My money is on too low action as the top suspect;  get a good set-up for your style and for the type of strings you will be using and see if that doesn't help.

Could be a simple truss rod adjustment.     

I have had a similar buzz on my OM-03R a time or two.    Guess what worked for me ...
I pushed each of the bridge pins in pretty firmly and the buzz went away.     A few weeks later when I changed strings I noticed the same thing happening.   Pushed the pins in a little more firmly and the buzz was gone.   I haven't heard anyone mention this before.   Perhaps the bridge pins are rattling in their holes slightly at one or more stings.   That's an easy one to check at least.

Tuffythepug

blush Now why didn't I think of that??  +1 thanx Tuffy - Another possibility is loose bushing/s or button/s at the tuning machines.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »

I had a buzzing issue with my D-09 when it arrived, and the bridge pins seem to have been the cause.  If you ping the end of a string that's not on the end of a guitar, the ball end buzzes surprisingly loudly and for a long time.  I am guessing it was the combination of this and the slightly loose bridge pins (whihc others have mentioned on here before) that was the culpret.  How could you eliminate it, maybe a tiny piece of sticky tape on the ball end of the string?

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »

I had an issue with a dread at the higher frets of the first two strings.  Truss rod adjustment took care of it, though I wouldn't have called the symptom a rattling, but, rather, very bad intonation high up and only on those two strings.  I'm with the majority on it being a set up issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: