Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $20k guitar  (Read 2621 times)
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »

And i thought an Olson at $12k was expensive

I guess this one is a bit fancier  drool  I like his spanky reply to questions too!  See auction here

D-02E
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »

20K for stump wood...I don't thinlk so.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »

If I had $20K pocket change left after spending my Fannie Mae CEO bonus in the Bahamas, I might might pick it up.....

Fred is a straight guy, btw.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:17:32 PM »

It must be the inlay because you can get a new Santa Cruz with braz for 8k. I'm surprised they're asking this much. Individual luthier built guitars can command over 25K but I didn't think H&D could sell one for that much.

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:23:42 AM »

I'd buy this if I can play like James Taylor (and have his bank account too)  ricky
Nort

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 02:06:55 AM »

I've seen this guitar at his shop,
it's a beautiful guitar, however you're paying quantum $$$$$
for lot's of bling,  does'nt make it sound any better.
That being said, 
to each his own, if you like lot's of bling and have the bucks
Go For It.

My wife says I can buy, sell swap guitars and cars as much as I want...
as long as I don't start swapping wives... sounds like a good deal to me.
bigmo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 03:48:26 AM »

AAAA Braz?  I don't think flat-sawn stumpwood can be rated as such.  Would i take it? Sure, but I'd rather have (4) $5000 Goodalls in a heartbeat! I played a dozen high end guitars Monday at Madison Music in Madison, WI and none of the H&Ds were as nice as the Goodalls. 20k - Nah.

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 04:52:49 AM »

AAAA Braz?  I don't think flat-sawn stumpwood can be rated as such. 

Absolutely, there's no question that set would get a high grade. It's got lots of figuring including those flame type streaks in the lower bout but I think the main reason it would be considered a premium set is the green streaking.

Not as cool as this one though.

bigmo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »

Absolutely, there's no question that set would get a high grade. It's got lots of figuring including those flame type streaks in the lower bout but I think the main reason it would be considered a premium set is the green streaking.

Not as cool as this one though.

If you say so, but I would take this old growth, quarter sawn Brazilian over the "pretty" stumpwood in a heartbeat!

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

It's all about packaging. People are willing to pay $5 for a $2 cup of joe at Starbucks and $50,000 for an alleged SUV when they can buy one for $20,000 less.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »

Isn't flatsawn more unstable?

I suppose if the general market of highend guitars was up there in this range the way it is for classical violins and so on the price would make some kind of objective sense, but who would buy this knowing what is out there for tons less? I guess that's the point, fishing for the the uninformed.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »

I think the major draw for this guitar is the fact that the buyer will have a unique instrument. You will never see another exactly like it. Whether the tone lives up to the uniqueness would remain to be determined. Nort, did you get a chance to play it?

Randy R., Georgia, USA
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

Isn't flatsawn more unstable?

Yeh but it probably won't make a difference like all the brazilian rosewood and quilted maple Larrivee's that are flatsawn.

DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »

At that price does it act like a PLAYER PIANO and play itself?

Can you imagine how you would feel the first time you sat it down by your stand/table and it slips, falls, DENTS????  The worry something would happen to it would drive me not to play it.
I guess that is what we call a collector?  Not us mear mortals who work for a living.
Beautiful for sure!

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »

There are a few articles I've read that suggest that flatsawn is not necessarily weaker than quartersawn.

here's one:  http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/quartersawn.htm

Larrivee has made quite a few guitars out of flatsawn wood of several species, and I haven't noticed any more complaints about warranty problems with them, than with quarter sawn instruments. I have a couple flatsawn back/side Larrivee guitars that are ok after 10+ years.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »

I can't beleive I'm saying this but I think the guitar is well, ugly.  Running away........

Now, anyone see the article in Fretboard Journal about CITES? WOW, you see those guitars and understand. Understanding aside, I think there's a price point where it becomes a bit ridiculous.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
bscur

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »

It's a nice looking guitar, but I agree there is a point of diminishing return on tone. I might buy a painting instead for a piece of art, although I like guitars as art as well. If I was selling a guitar for 20k I think I'd put new strings on it. The grubby old ones stick out to me. Is Brazilian Rosewood the priciest tonewood or is there something else that is used so sparingly that the common fan of guitars wouldn't know about?

Currently-

D-10
D-15
00-50
OM-05

Pictured:
Previously owned OM-05MT
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »

Why does it look so much nicer in the hanging on the wall pic? Is the sitting in the chair pic more accurate because those colors just make me queasy.

I question the price given the maker. Not that H&D isn't awesome, in fact I plan on going there someday and having a guitar made. You know, when the government's plan to save the economy starts working *snort*. My point being that if it were a Martin, for example, would the price seem less extravagant?  Well,as less as $20,000 for any guitar can be. My observation is that in the world of ridiculously 'high end' guitars it's all about name recognition.

I saw a black walnut H&D that was amazing, just amazing, around $6000, I think.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

Is Brazilian Rosewood the priciest tonewood or is there something else that is used so sparingly that the common fan of guitars wouldn't know about?

African Blackwood is pretty expensive but I think premium braz is still the most expensive.

Why does it look so much nicer in the hanging on the wall pic? Is the sitting in the chair pic more accurate because those colors just make me queasy.

I question the price given the maker. Not that H&D isn't awesome, in fact I plan on going there someday and having a guitar made. You know, when the government's plan to save the economy starts working *snort*. My point being that if it were a Martin, for example, would the price seem less extravagant?  Well,as less as $20,000 for any guitar can be. My observation is that in the world of ridiculously 'high end' guitars it's all about name recognition.

The difference in pics is due to the lighting, it makes a big difference in darker woods.

It would seem less exravagant if it was a builder who's average guitar sells for that much. One thing to keep in mind, it's the consumer that sets the prices when it comes to high end guitars, maybe not the H&D but individual luthiers. It doesn't make since to sell your guitars for 6K when people are selling them used for 8K.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »

My point being that if it were a Martin, for example, would the price seem less extravagant?  Well,as less as $20,000 for any guitar can be. My observation is that in the world of ridiculously 'high end' guitars it's all about name recognition.

I saw a black walnut H&D that was amazing, just amazing, around $6000, I think.

holly
Holly, You have it spot on - the "gear junkies" buy them. Collings Braz models are also very sought after.  beats me. I have my sights on H&D too, specifically the 00-SP.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: