Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switch to Pings  (Read 798 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »

Can anyone tell me what year did JCL start using the (controversial?) Pings? I say controversial because at some time, there were a couple of threads discussing disapproval and  alternative upgrades. Gotohs seemed the popular solution, and another suggested an (expensive) upgrade to Waverly Slotted machines to a Traditional-series guitar, and even on a 000-15 Martin. When paging through the photographs of Mike's terrific OM-10 Cedar posted elsewhere on the forum, I noticed on the detailed headstock photo taken from the back, that it has Schallers fitted. Were they furnished originally to all Larrivees, or could this be part of a seemingly custom order?
Mike, I'd for sure like to know the history of that guitar, that is one fine specimen! 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 04:24:45 AM »

I think they went to Pings about 2002 or so

D-02E
boloten

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »

I switched to Pings a year ago and my approach shots have never been more accurate!
Um...this IS the golf forum ...isn't it?
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:59:04 PM »

I switched to Pings a year ago and my approach shots have never been more accurate!
Um...this IS the golf forum ...isn't it?

like it!  The thing is that I have a ping putter, and it really is about as accurate as the tuners on my OM-03!  Sigh

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
radkin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »

When I look at the description for my guitar on the larrivee home site
 http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/products_loadMovie/50%20series/OOO50/load%20movie/OOO50.html
 it says "Custom Milled 3-on-a-side tuners"

Does that mean it has custom milled pings, or am I using turners they made in the factory?

just a little confusing,
Radkin
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »

pings are on the 03 series, Schallers on the 05 and up, but the traditional series have more unique ones.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »

pings are on the 03 series, Schallers on the 05 and up, but the traditional series have more unique ones.

Oh Ben,  blush I so hoped you were right, then went back to have a look at all my catalogues from 2005, those all have them listed as Ping 18:1 ratio, except the traditional series, which merely specify them as "open-back-style on the D and OM bodies, and 3-on-a-side on SD, 00, and 000 bodies. The current PDF catalog on the Larrivee web-site specifiess them on some models only as 18:1 ratio tuners.
Ben can you substantiate your post regarding the Schallers on the 05 series and up? I would really like to know...

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:39:27 AM »

My D-09 ws completed in April 2008 and has schallers.  I think where it says Larrivee branded 18:1 tuners they are pings, but simple 18:1 tuners should hopefully be the schallers - the just have the script S on the back.

Maybe I am being niaive, but it seems to me that the Canadian factory uses pings, and the California factory does Schallers.  The upgrade is easy, and costs very little if I am wrong.

Sorry if I am wrong, this was just my understanding of it.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »

My D-09 ws completed in April 2008 and has schallers.  I think where it says Larrivee branded 18:1 tuners they are pings, but simple 18:1 tuners should hopefully be the schallers - the just have the script S on the back.

Maybe I am being niaive, but it seems to me that the Canadian factory uses pings, and the California factory does Schallers.  The upgrade is easy, and costs very little if I am wrong.

Sorry if I am wrong, this was just my understanding of it.
Thanx Ben
I must say, come to think of it, I have no problem with my tuners, but it seems elsewhere on the forum many threads have covered alternative retrofits of supposedly unhappy owners. I must admit though that I've seen a photo of a limited edition L03 with Gotoh 510's fitted, which looks awesome!

[attachment deleted by admin]

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »

Problem seems to be inconsistency.  5 of mine are OK, and one (B string) slips and feels loose all the time.  pain in the neck to be honest.  I will be upgrading to gotohs in due course, once the dust has settled on the forum guitar purchase.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »

I had an older OM with Gotohs. My parlor has pings, and I've never had trouble with them. My newer OM had pings and 2 of them were not good. I switched them out for Gotohs from StewMac. You'll find endless tuner threads around here. My experience is that quality control seems to be better on the Gotohs. I once played a much older Larrivee that had Schallers. Nice!

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: