Switch to Pings

Started by Zohn, November 26, 2008, 03:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone tell me what year did JCL start using the (controversial?) Pings? I say controversial because at some time, there were a couple of threads discussing disapproval and  alternative upgrades. Gotohs seemed the popular solution, and another suggested an (expensive) upgrade to Waverly Slotted machines to a Traditional-series guitar, and even on a 000-15 Martin. When paging through the photographs of Mike's terrific OM-10 Cedar posted elsewhere on the forum, I noticed on the detailed headstock photo taken from the back, that it has Schallers fitted. Were they furnished originally to all Larrivees, or could this be part of a seemingly custom order?
Mike, I'd for sure like to know the history of that guitar, that is one fine specimen!  :wave
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I think they went to Pings about 2002 or so
D-02E

I switched to Pings a year ago and my approach shots have never been more accurate!
Um...this IS the golf forum ...isn't it?

Quote from: boloten on December 05, 2008, 01:50:50 PM
I switched to Pings a year ago and my approach shots have never been more accurate!
Um...this IS the golf forum ...isn't it?
:roll

like it!  The thing is that I have a ping putter, and it really is about as accurate as the tuners on my OM-03!  Sigh
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

When I look at the description for my guitar on the larrivee home site
http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/products_loadMovie/50%20series/OOO50/load%20movie/OOO50.html
it says "Custom Milled 3-on-a-side tuners"

Does that mean it has custom milled pings, or am I using turners they made in the factory?

just a little confusing,
Radkin

pings are on the 03 series, Schallers on the 05 and up, but the traditional series have more unique ones.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on December 05, 2008, 05:07:33 PM
pings are on the 03 series, Schallers on the 05 and up, but the traditional series have more unique ones.

Oh Ben,  :blush: I so hoped you were right, then went back to have a look at all my catalogues from 2005, those all have them listed as Ping 18:1 ratio, except the traditional series, which merely specify them as "open-back-style on the D and OM bodies, and 3-on-a-side on SD, 00, and 000 bodies. The current PDF catalog on the Larrivee web-site specifiess them on some models only as 18:1 ratio tuners.
Ben can you substantiate your post regarding the Schallers on the 05 series and up? I would really like to know...
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

My D-09 ws completed in April 2008 and has schallers.  I think where it says Larrivee branded 18:1 tuners they are pings, but simple 18:1 tuners should hopefully be the schallers - the just have the script S on the back.

Maybe I am being niaive, but it seems to me that the Canadian factory uses pings, and the California factory does Schallers.  The upgrade is easy, and costs very little if I am wrong.

Sorry if I am wrong, this was just my understanding of it.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on December 06, 2008, 04:39:27 AM
My D-09 ws completed in April 2008 and has schallers.  I think where it says Larrivee branded 18:1 tuners they are pings, but simple 18:1 tuners should hopefully be the schallers - the just have the script S on the back.

Maybe I am being niaive, but it seems to me that the Canadian factory uses pings, and the California factory does Schallers.  The upgrade is easy, and costs very little if I am wrong.

Sorry if I am wrong, this was just my understanding of it.
Thanx Ben
I must say, come to think of it, I have no problem with my tuners, but it seems elsewhere on the forum many threads have covered alternative retrofits of supposedly unhappy owners. I must admit though that I've seen a photo of a limited edition L03 with Gotoh 510's fitted, which looks awesome!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Problem seems to be inconsistency.  5 of mine are OK, and one (B string) slips and feels loose all the time.  pain in the neck to be honest.  I will be upgrading to gotohs in due course, once the dust has settled on the forum guitar purchase.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I had an older OM with Gotohs. My parlor has pings, and I've never had trouble with them. My newer OM had pings and 2 of them were not good. I switched them out for Gotohs from StewMac. You'll find endless tuner threads around here. My experience is that quality control seems to be better on the Gotohs. I once played a much older Larrivee that had Schallers. Nice!

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R