Larrivee and string Gauges

Started by Zohn, November 26, 2008, 12:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all! I replaced the strings on my LV-10e last evening with a set of D'Addario EXP Custom Lights 0.011" - 0.052" because I already had them - that's the gauge I use for my Walden. I had Elixir Lights on previously which were OK. The new set sounds brighter, and somewhat thinner (I suppose because it is one gauge lighter) Going through some older Larrivee catalogues, I saw that certain models are set-up for certain gauges. (The L-bodies for Light gauge, and the SD series for Medium) Does that mean those are the best gauges and therefor "suggested" for the specific models, and are there anyone out there that experimented with heavier gauge than "suggested"?
I know that I've always experimented with lighter gauge for better playability (haven't we all at some stage?), but most of the time at the expense of tone and sometimes fret-buzz.
We don't get Cleartones here, and I noticed in Acoustic Guitar Mag that Ernie Ball has got coateds as well, I don't know what they're like, but I must say one thing I like about the D'Addario's, is the fact that they don't "feel" like coateds, and thus are characterized by some string squeal.
The Blue grass guage seems to be a good compromise, but I haven't seen those sets here either (a mix between a Light and a Medium set). Any experience or advice/suggestions from you guys?  :donut :donut :donut
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I like medium 80/20s the best. My favorite are Martin SP+ brand, but I like the D'Addario EXP coated also and they are my string of choice.

There are numerous players who don't like coated strings, but I don't like changing strings every day or even every week, and find that the EXPs are a good compromise for me.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Does anyone leave the Cleartones on the Larrivee until they need to be changed. That's the first thing I remove. Can't stand them. I like D'addario (what's not to like) but am loving the Thomastik Bronze Spectrum.  The only gauge I've used is light. I'm still a bit confused as to the whole Light/Meduim difference.  But since I like a sad sounding guitar I've liked what I've used so far.

Except the Cleartones. I'm sure someone likes them but I get a real 'nail on chalkboard' sensation from them.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on November 26, 2008, 08:22:07 AM
  I'm still a bit confused as to the whole Light/Meduim difference.  

There is no absolute standard for what light/medium/etc mean. But for 6 string guitars, a light set high e will normally be .012inch diameter and mediums will be .013 inch diameter.

http://www.daddario.com/DAddarioFrettedCatalog.pdf
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on November 26, 2008, 12:31:50 PM
There is no absolute standard for what light/medium/etc mean. But for 6 string guitars, a light set high e will normally be .012inch diameter and mediums will be .013 inch diameter.

:+1: And it's annoying when it's any different. The string companies know this yet some still use a confusing naming system; like DR calls lights 'medium gauge'

Quote from: Randy_R on November 26, 2008, 07:57:23 AM

There are numerous players who don't like coated strings, but I don't like changing strings every day or even every week, and find that the EXPs are a good compromise for me.

:thumbsup My thoughts exactly - especially on a slotted head...

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure