Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building an acoustic guitar  (Read 1065 times)
Pulvus

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »

Hi guys. Some month ago I started too view a lot of video on youtube about lutherie and how to build an acoustic guitar and I think these vids are very helpful... finally I'd like to start to build my guitar and I plan with my father to start just with some prototype. I want to read some books about that but I can't find any one really good. Have you got some  books to sugget?
and most important:
Is it possible to find some free blueprint on the internet (pref. dwg file, or any autocad format)?
Can someone send me one of yours blueprint?  bowdown

I know that build a guitar is very difficult challenge but I'm an engineer and my father work in a  joiner's shop since he was I child...maybe we have a chance...

Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »

ever thought about starting with a kit?
CF Martin Kits
Stewart-MacDonald Kits
You will need far fewer specialized tools and some of the toughest things will be done for you. Then if you like it, you can move on from there. Investment in tools can be significant.
Stew-mac.com is a good source for those, too.
Check out their selection of books and plans here.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »

Cumpiano & Natelson's book 'Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology' is the bible of guitar building. However it was written like 20 or 30 years ago and some of the techniques are outdated or just uncommon by today's standards. The Stew Mac instruction manual for their kits is available on their site and I've found that helpful. What I really recommend is getting some DVD's; Robert Obrien's steel string guitar DVD is excellent and I haven't used them but I've heard great things about John Mayes' DVD's. You can buy plans from places like Stew Mac and LMI (don't buy the Antes plans). Also visit the OLF http://www.luthiersforum.com for a wealth of knowledge.

Pulvus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »

thanks guys!!!!  afro
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

Jeremy - how is your project coming along ?

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
bscur

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »

Hello,
Here are two books I've read and found helpful.
Brad

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarmaking-Tradition-Technology-Construction-Steel-String/dp/0811806405/ref=pd_sim_b_7
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/0634054635/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Currently-

D-10
D-15
00-50
OM-05

Pictured:
Previously owned OM-05MT
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 08:38:21 AM »

bowdown I'm not worthy to comment here.

Just pure admiration for any person who moves beyond owning, playing and liking acoustic guitars to actually building one!
I should interview a local lad who went on a 3-month camp in Saskatchewan to build an acoustic guitar with a master luthier.

Best wishes as you embark on your guitar project!

ricky
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »

Jeremy - how is your project coming along ?

Sorry, I didn't see this post. I should be posting an update anyday now with pictures.

Pulvus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »

So Jeremy, are you building a guitar?  I'd like too see some pics... Finally I found 2 complete plans on the net....
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »

So Jeremy, are you building a guitar?  I'd like too see some pics... Finally I found 2 complete plans on the net....

Yeh I'm building one from a LMI kit, which is the same thing but some of the steps are done for you. I guess the most difficult step that's already done is the jointing of the top and back plates. The sides are pre-bent, that's suppose to be easy but you have to have the equipment to do it. A few other things are done for you that require special equipment(mainly a jointer) but a lot of the stuff that's already done you have to alter anyway like the neck joint. What I like about it is the none of the pre done steps are really sound determining steps or steps where one could express individuality except for maybe the 3 ring rosette channels but even then you've got options. I make the braces how I want and determine the arches of the plates and rim, I route the bindings and decide what to put in, I determine the neck width and profile and the headstock shape. With th LMI kit you can decide to leave any of the steps off that you want to, you can even get an unserviced get which is just raw materials- same thing as scratch but you buy it all at once. Here's the link to the older thread with pics http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=23018.0
I'll have an update ready in the next day or so.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: