Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off The Wall Cd  (Read 795 times)
Frederickmando

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2004, 11:15:24 AM »

Ok, here's one for you. I am a magazine junkie, plain and simple. I recently picked up the latest Mojo Magazine which I usually pass up unless the cover jumps out at me. But, being a Jimmy Page fan, I had to pick it up.
The companion CD is what has me mesmerized at the moment. I would encourage everyone who likes 1960's music to pick this up. It is entitled
The Roots of Led Zeppelin and this is a sample of the tracks:
Bert Jansche--Blackwater Side (I was totally unfamiliar with this guy)
Spirit--Fresh Garbage (My first rock concert was Spirit and The New York Rock Ensemble)
Howlin' Wolf--Killing Floor
Santo & Johnny--Summertime (This is the best version of this song I have ever heard)
Robert Johnson--Travelling Riverside Blues
Anyway, this is some interesting music. Really makes you think where we would be today without the 60's.
--Fred
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 11:32:26 AM »

Fred,

If you're unfamiliar with Bert Jansch, then that probably means you are also unfamiliar with his frequent playing partner John Renbourn or the group they put together known as Pentangle. Bert and John are still playing today, and they just keep getting better.

http://www.bertjansch.com/

http://www.john-renbourn.com/  has sound clips.

I was introduced to these guys when Paul Simon did an instrumental of John's on an early Simon&Garfunkel album known as Cathy's Song, probably the first fingerstyle instrumental I ever learned.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 04:44:07 PM »

Thanks, Randy. When I heard some of the tracks on this CD I thought "I've been living in a cave!"
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
It's funny how your appreciation for music increases when you take up the guitar.
--Fred
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:49:38 PM »

Yes, Frederico,
In the last 5 yrs. with me frequenting many forums (and playing much more guitar), I have really expanded my listening scope.  How much was the mag. w/CD?  That sounds like I might want to pick it up!  
Hey, my third concert (which was on the road, travelling, in Denver), I saw Spirit (the orig. crew) as the opener for the then pretty new Aerosmith!  Spirit blew the house down  B) --we didnt even stay for Tyler and co. we were so satisfied...or was that stratos-fied?!
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 10:31:11 AM »

Awesome! I never saw Aerosmith in their heyday, but my wife and I saw them a few months ago with KISS. Both bands were an experience. Truthfully, I had to be talked into the KISS part! But, we loved it! They are marketing geniuses!
I think that Spirit was one of the most underated bands of the 60's-70's.
I think the mag was about $8 with tax. These  mags are getting expensive, you know? But, I grab most of the Uncut--a British publication--issues and read everything I can. Likewise, the new Acoustic Guitar has a short interview with another one of my heros, Grant Lee Phillips. He was the lead of Grant Lee Buffalo and is a great guitar player. He has done some things with Robyn Hitchcock, in case you haven't heard it.
So, yes, my musical horizons have always been totally jammed up with information. I have a good friend who worked at a CD store that was accross from a major college. He and I have similar tastes so he used to just hand me stuff to listen to. That is how I learned about some bands or artists. The thing that scares me is that I am in my 40's and can listen to anything--that doesn't mean I LOVE everything, but I will give it a try. But, it concerns me when I try to get some of my younger friends to try a CD and they say "no way." I wonder if I was ever closed minded? Maybe!
Well, enjoy! It's a great life, you know?
--Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: