"Pick" the right one!

Started by ncognito, November 25, 2008, 03:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I put new strings on my old Guild D40 last night.  I put the same set, John Pearse mediums, on as what I took off; when I got it perfectly in tune and began strumming it, it sounded dull to my ear.  Well, what I didn't take into account was the pick I was using was one I'd just bought to try when at the music store the other day, a Fender extra heavy flat pick.  I put the extra heavy down and used what I'd been using before, a generic heavy, ( I don't know the exact mm thickness) and what an amazing difference in tone!  With the generic heavy pick the guitar sounded brighter and more articulate which is definately more to my preference with the type of material I do.  I wonder though if maybe for more bluesy stuff the muddier sound would be more appropriate.  Do any of you use different picks on different songs to alter the effect, emotion... ?

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

As a matter of fact I do use different picks.  For my workhorse, all-around pick I use a heavy Fender celluloid 346.  I'll use that for anything, but mainly for unplugged acoustic play.  For plugged in acoustic play, and especially for electric guitars with piezo's added, I'll use a Lignum Vitae pick.  It's very mellow sounding which helps in a lot of plugged in situations.  I also have one manufactured by Obbligato that is a carbon fiber/graphite/carbon fiber sandwich that I use whenever I'm performing on electric guitar.  It's very thin and very stiff giving excellent control and a wonderfully articulate sound that I just love.  The LV and especially the sandwich picks are expensive.  I only have one of each and I keep them in a little jeweler's box, which came with a ring I got for my wife, inside my gear bag.  The 346's I keep in my pocket, my cases, my gear bag, my effects cases, etc.  They're the "Dang, I forgot my picks" or "My son needs to borrow a pick" picks.  I also have a couple of all graphite picks, but I can't seem to come to love them.
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

I get mine from redbeartrading.com (NAYY, blather , blather) you'd be hard pressed to differentiate between these picks and tortoise.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Thanks Strawintogold and wilblee I'll look into those suggestions.  A friend once gave me a polished stone pick, I don't know what kind of stone it is, but it seemed to mute, or maybe damper is the right word, the strings.  It wasn't for me, but in conjunction with certain effects might work well.  Effects aren't really my thing either, but this experience has made me more aware to keep an open mind and more attentive ear in trying different ways to enhance or modify my sound given the right circumstances.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I mainly use extra heavy picks these days. I swap between Fender delrin 1.14mm, Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm and a Red Bear Classic that I think is a little thicker than 1.14mm. The Fender is my go to pick. The thicker picks work well for the bluegrass fiddle type tunes because you get more control out of them and better note separation. The trick to strumming with the heavier picks is to loosen your grip and the tone will be much brighter and lively. If I were laying down a rhythm track I might pick up a thinner pick like a .073(the ultex sound great for this) but I never do when I'm just practicing or playing.