Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instrumental guitar peice to play at my sisters wedding?  (Read 1813 times)
eza

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »

Hey all,

My sister is getting married on the 2/27 (5 weeks). She has asked if I could play her an instrumental guitar piece as she walks down the aisle. So I now need something to play. I have had a little search around and at the moment I am thinking of learning "For my Father" by Andy Mckee. I think this song would go down well even though the title of the song isnt really appropriate. I should be able to learn it, but the problem may be perfecting it in only 5 weeks. Im thinking I should learn one other, little bit easier song just as a back up if I cant perfect for my father.

Id love some recommendations on songs (a bit easier than for my father) that I could play?

Also my future brother in law is the bass player for Josh Pyke (Australian musician) and as Josh Pyke is going to be there I don't really want to embarrass myself (or my new larri) playing a song that is too simple.

Cheers   
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

Keep it simple and don't worry about what anyone else thinks,its all about what the bride wants.Talk to her and make her happy its her day and no one else's.Good luck as I have nothing to offer musically.Maybe you should try and come up with something original just for her.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »

My wife suggested I learn "Here, There and Everywhere", a while ago and people (well, women especially) really seem to like it.  There are a number of fairly straight-forward transcriptions out there, although I got mine from a book called Fingerstyle Beatles.  That version is not too tough if you were considering Andy McKee stuff as an alternative!

Dave

jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »

Dunno if Pachelbels Canon is overdone, but I managed to play my own cover of it at a nephews wedding on the beach last year. Chords are simple. I imagine your dad could do chords and you could do the melody. . .

http://jpmist.blogspot.com/2011/04/pachelbels-canon.html

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
bobsnob

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »

At my brother's wedding, I played "Can't Help Falling in Love".  I played the version from the A Guitar for Elvis CD.
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Elvis-various/dp/B003H590Y2

The discussion about it is here: http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=36216.msg331637#msg331637

I didn't know the song when I agreed to play it, so I had a few weeks of panic.  It wasn't a difficult song to learn, but it still took some time.   
In the end, nobody paid much attention to me at the wedding.  All eyes were on the bride.  It all went well.

Good luck, whatever you decide to play.

Gordon

Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

I don't really want to embarrass myself (or my new larri) playing a song that is too simple.
If it were me, I'd rather play a simple song beautifully than a more complicated song mediocre.  I think I'd prefer the same as a listener.

Dunno if Pachelbels Canon is overdone, but I managed to play my own cover of it at a nephews wedding on the beach last year.
I also did Canon last summer - it's a simple song that you can make as complicated as you like.  The bridal entrance can be short or long depending on the situation.  Canon lends itself well to that because you can repeat it adding complexity.  Here's a basic version.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
darkbar

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »

"The Water Is Wide" is a nice, easy instrumental that would be appropriate for a wedding

www.youtube.com/acoustisongs
Larrivee LV-09ce
Everett Celona
Heyser Custom
G&L ASAT
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »

All good advice. Keep it simple and go for good tone.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:36 AM »

"The Water Is Wide" is a nice, easy instrumental that would be appropriate for a wedding
Beautiful piece and a popular wedding choice - but I don't get it - the lyrics are about love lost/faded - not at all appropriate for a wedding.  Why has this become so popular at weddings?

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
eza

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up going with For My Father by Andy Mckee. I luckily had a week off from uni so I was able to get enough practice in to pull it off. The song went flawlessly though the comment about everyone paying attention to the bride and not the music was spot on, still hopefully my music helped set the mood.

Thanks again,

Ez
eza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:04:16 AM »

I was wanting to put a photo up of my larrivee when I got it a couple months ago but never did. Anyway, here is a photo from the wedding. Its a 1998 c09 Florentine in absolute mint condition. Bought it for $1400 here in Australia, which is a ripper of a deal as everything here is seriously overpriced. I took a risk and bought it without having played it, the risk pay'd off though because this guitar is gem.

Melodeous

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 02:48:20 AM »

I played Noel Stookey's Wedding Song (There Is Love) and Paul Simon's For Emily (Whenever I May Find Her) at my sister's wedding. I sang them as songs but the melodies work out nicely as instrumentals with little work.
Anders451

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »

Great story, advices and picture.
Thanks for sharing  

04' Larrivée L-09 Collectors Edition 26 of 50
90s' Yamaha Classical

Q: How many guitars does a man need?
A: One more.

I'm from Sweden. The home of Levin, Hagström & Sundberg Guitars.
We also ride polarbears to work on a daily basis. Yes, it's true.
darkbar

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »

Beautiful piece and a popular wedding choice - but I don't get it - the lyrics are about love lost/faded - not at all appropriate for a wedding.  Why has this become so popular at weddings?
That's why I said it would be a nice instrumental....

www.youtube.com/acoustisongs
Larrivee LV-09ce
Everett Celona
Heyser Custom
G&L ASAT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: