Connection Issues?

Started by tadol, November 20, 2008, 03:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been having problems recently accessing the Forum - I get a message from OpenDNS that nameservers are failing, or that there is a potential problem with the Forum server. When I click on provide report, it frequently indicates that either the primary or backup name server is not responding. It seems to have happened a few times, but generally gets fixed within 10 minutes or so -

I switched a few months ago to OpenDNS servers, and they have worked perfectly for every other site I've tried to access, so I do not think they are the problem. Have there been any problems with the Forum server or the name servers, or has anyone else had any problems accessing the site?

Thanks -  Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

no problems here. Sometimes recent unread threads is whacked.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

happens to me too a couple times a week. DNS and route caching isn't a perfect thing on the internet, or some servers for that matter.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Thanks Randy - thats about how often it happens to me too, but only this site. Maybe guitar pics clog internet pipes easier than others. I'll assume its still something to do with my wife and a conspiracy -  :bgrin:  -  Tad

I have had the problem a few more times recently, and sent a problem report to OpenDNS.com - my report and their response is -

>I routinely use the site Larriveeforum.com - since switching to
> opendns, I have had increasing problems with accessing the forum,
> getting this message -
>
> Nameservers for www.larriveeforum.com:
>
>     * dns.site5.com
>     * dns2.site5.com returned (SERVFAIL)
>

That is definitely an issue to take up with the webmaster of the site, or the site's hosting company. A "servfail" error indicates they have improperly set up their authoritative DNS. OpenDNS only handles recursive DNS services - a different beast entirely.

It works often enough, but I thought I would report this to the admins in case you wanted to check into it -  Maybe its a guitar thing, you always want to try and tweak things just a bit more to make the playing better -

Tad

I've been having a few more problems the last week or so. Sometimes I'll immiediately go to another site and it's fine. Come back and this one's still hosed. It'll clear in a minute or two though.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.