Yes, it's another tuner question...

Started by strawintogold, November 15, 2008, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mu luthier wants $30 to change the tuners from Ping to Gotoh Schaller Black (and that's with me providing the tuners). With three guitars being changed plus switching the tusq to bone in both saddle and nut, it's getting up there. Then there's the $30 to remove the pickguard.

So, is changing the tuners something I can do and what would I need to do so? I can't find directions on the web for drop ins.

They had a bit of a time removing the pickguard so I'm reluctant to try myself on the other. No way I'm going near the whole nut and saddle thing.  But, if I do the tuners that's $90 bucks saved right there.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

If you know how to use a screwdriver and a wrench you can do the tuners.

If you understand how a box wrench and a screwdriver function then it shouldn't be all that difficult. You take one off then reverse procedure for the drop in. Just make sure you loosen the nuts prior to taking out the screws and to put the screws in the new tuners before you try to tighten the nuts. There is no need to overtighten the nuts either, just snug them up or you will end up pushing the washers into the wood and mucking up your finish. If you are not comfortable with hand tools just take your time so you don't scar the headstock.

"If you know how to use a screwdriver and a wrench you can do the tuners."

Do you know how to use a foot pedal to rotate a wheel? The I guess you are all set. Start with lace weight.

GA-ME

Thank you, that was just what I was looking for.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on November 15, 2008, 05:47:58 PM
"If you know how to use a screwdriver and a wrench you can do the tuners."

Do you know how to use a foot pedal to rotate a wheel? The I guess you are all set. Start with lace weight.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Exactly. Yes, I know how to do several things with both a screwdriver and a wrench. As I am sure you know how to press down a foot pedal. My point being, none of those things is particulary helpful without the particulars.

You use a foot pedal to turn a spinning wheel. Lace weight is a very fine grist of spun yarn.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on November 15, 2008, 06:13:13 PM
My point being, none of those things is particulary helpful without the particulars.

I answered all the questions you asked, no need to bring up hurtful things like my inability to spin yarn.

Oh, something tells me you are more than capable of spinning a yarn or two....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Ummmm...they forgot to tell you that you will also need a drillpress, a sawzall, a large ball-peen hammer, a micrometer, a medium pipe-wrench and an arc welder to do the job properly.   You've got those don't you ?

Of course, it's all right here in my purse. Along with my hemostat, welder's helmet, calipers, world dictionary and phaser. My plan is do have the luthier walk me through the first one, pay him for that and do the other two if I'm comfortable. Otherwise i will be constantly fidgeting with the tuner to make sure it's right.

I'm one of those people that drive a nail into a wall to hang a picture from and then stands there for fifteen minutes pulling on the nail to make sure it'll hold the all of ten ounces.

I like to think of it as being thorough although I'm sure I've seen it classified as something else in the Big Book Of Psychiatric Disorders.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Exercise executive design here: Just DO IT! I guarantee you its harder to thread a loom than it is for you to change out drop in tuners. Confidence is gained by doing.

Quote from: strawintogold on November 16, 2008, 09:03:16 AM

I like to think of it as being thorough although I'm sure I've seen it classified as something else in the Big Book Of Psychiatric Disorders.

holly

Holly
We are most familiar with chapter 9:   Guitar Acquisition Syndrome and Related Psychological Disorders.
In fact some of us (no names here) could write a few chapters on this phenomenon.,

Tuffythepug

Phaser - that's what my kit is missing - I'll have to promise the wife I'll keep it on stun - Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -