Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Uke's  (Read 15915 times)
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »

G'day P & P, how about some pics? Sounds great
Cheers
Fongie

It's not that special, but I'll try and get around to taking a few pictures some time.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »

Hey P&P, all ukes the same with me, as long as it sounds ukey thats all that matters, and I'm sure yours does. As I mentioned, I've restrung me Tenor Kamaka with Aquilas, very nice, but sure takin' a long time to settle. But I'm sure it's worth it.
Cheers
Fongie
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »

After changing the tuners on my ukulele, I replaced the same Aquila strings (left them attached at the bridge end) and, having relaxed, they are now all stretchy again and need to be tuned up again every day.  Maybe that's why they are such good strings, because they have a certain amount of elasticity.  Whatever the case, they sure do sound very good.

By the way, here in the UK, most people regard the ukulele as a joke instrument or at best a novelty instrument.  It is rarely taken seriously, although is gaining in popularity thanks to the excellent Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain (there's loads on the internet, look them up).

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

G'day P&P, yeah man, your right, the same in Australia, it's only catching on downunder. I'm lucky, cause I was fortunate to have these instrument's around me when I was a child growin' up. And the songs we we're associated with has alot of ukuleles as the main instrument in it. I'm glad to hear things are turnin' out with your uke. Yes, I'm sure the Aquilars will sound even better.
Cheers
Fongie
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »

I noticed also that after relaxing the Aquilas they need to settle in again.
I usually need to trim excess string from the tuners after the initial stretch, then wait for them to stretch again.
I have found that if I tune the uke up a full step before putting it away the strings stretch back to pitch while in the case.
I do this for a few days until new strings quit stretching.

I put a set of the DGBE on my tenor, great sound and have guitar chords too.
I just got a new KoAloha concert with a tenor neck, I am using GCEA Aquilas, spent all weeekend stretching them as they settle in the sound is getting better too.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »

Hey Port H., that concert sounds interestin' with a Tenor neck, I wouldn't mind havin' a look see. Yes, these strings of mine hasn't settle yet, but it's all good.
Cheers
Fongie
P.S How about pics?
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »

G'day Folks, still waitin' for my Aquilers to settle, boy', it's soundin' like a dream, just so nice and crispy, nice to strum too.
Cheers
Fongie
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »

As requested by Fongie, here's a couple of shots of my Ashbury Tenor and the Gotoh machines I installed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »

Second picture herewith.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »

I put the GOTOH friction Uke pegs on mine.....

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »

G'day folks, it's nice to be back on this thread, it sure has been a while. And it was nice hearin' from you ukeheads again. Anyway, back to serious business. Thanks for them pics P&P, Thats a bloody nice uke you got there. Whats this nonsense, that it's nothing special? It's a bloody beauty. What sort of wood used on this uke? It looks stunning indeed. I like the inlays around the sound hole and those new Gotohs look good, how are they holding out? I bet they're much easier. I've got a 60's uke with the old peg method style. To tune, you had to pull the pegs out slightly, tune, then push back and lock in. Bloody pain. It's good to hear from you again, on this thread. I've been praticeing a song called 'Listen to the rythem of the falling rain' on me uke, Man, it sounds awesome.
Cheers
fongie
Hey' Walkerman, I like those Gotoh Pegs, looks awesome. I might put them on me 60's uke. Thanks for the pics.
PortHueneme, thats a good idea turning the tuners a full step before putting the uke away. It does stretch back to pitch. I usually pull the strings (just before the sound hole), tune back a step, pull the strings again and then step up, doing this method till it reaches pitch. Especially on new strings, I find it reaches pitch faster and removes any slack. But I've been useing your method before I put the uke away and I like it. Cheers
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 11:34:54 PM »

Hey Mr. Admin.
I think we need a new thread for other Larrivee instruments.
Since the ukes are not currently in production and the mando's are so new they can probably reside together.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:37 AM »

I think your so right, there have to be a better solution, there seem to be alot of lookers on this thread, I don't know about responses, I think most of it was from me Anyway, your damn right, lets unite. We should see if the administration would put aside a thread just for us.
Cheers Man
fongie  bowdown bowdown bowdown
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 04:25:15 AM »

I've wanted a Larrivee uke for a long time, but they are out of my price range - but I do keep my eyes open, and maybe, if I am in the right place, at the right time, and my wife isn't, I just might get one- 

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »

Hi Tad, YES! The 'Missus', thats what you have to be careful off, not the price. Anyway Mate, have you thought of other options? Or have you already got yourself a uke? Definately, me too, would dearly love a Lav. uke. But, my Kamaka's are priceless, and would never swap for anything, not even for a Lav. Uke.
Cheers
fongie
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

Hi Fongie,
In response to your query, my Ashbury tenor ukulele is allegedly koa wood, but I have some doubts.  Anyway, I say it's nothing special as it is a laminate model and only costs around £120 here in the UK.  However, it does sound very good indeed for the price.  It holds its own against various other models in a (new) little ukulele band that is evolving out of a folk music session where I play a little uke, but mostly my Larrivée Rosewood Parlor guitar.  One of the other players who normally plays fiddle has invested in a fantastic koa Kanile'a concert ukulele.  The sound it produces is awesome.

The Gotoh tuners make my instrument far less top heavy and more comfortable to hold.  Whilst big, heavy and ugly, the old tuners seemed to function OK, but I think in the long term the quality Gotohs will prove to be a noticeable upgrade.

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

Hi again P&P, definately, I do believe that laminated instruments sound alot better then most solid wood. Because it takes solid wood (especially new wood) to mature with age. Thats when they sound good. I have seen alot of laminated instruments, and they look awesome. Yes, I am familiar with the 'Kanile'a ukes', I've also got a concert model and it is also solid Koa, (click to page 2). Yes, they are very nice, and very good sounding, especially with Aquilas. Hey, thats great to hear that you guys have a little uke band. I truely envy you guys. I associate with alot of my friends that plays ukuleles, but everyone just want to strum a guitar or play drums, my drums. Have you heard of 'Universal Soldier' by Donavan, 'Isle of islay', 'Jennifer Juniper' and 'Lalena', they are great folky musics, useing finger picking. Thats what I play sometimes. Anyway, good to hear from you again.
Cheers
fongie
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2009, 03:01:27 AM »

Hi fongie -

No uke yet, but a friend has a few of 'em, mostly older Martins. I'm waiting patiently until I find something he really wants, or he finds it and needs some cash quick -  - but whenever I do the ebay/Larrivee search, I always bookmark the ukes!

The wife just started hula lessons ( no idea where that came from ) so maybe I'm gonna have to start shopping a bit more seriously.

But I don't need any excuse to go look at anything Koa!

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2009, 03:23:26 AM »

G'day tad, 'Martins' good, infact they are real good, I have often thought of purchasing one myself, if the price is right, maybe one day soon. As for the missus takin' up 'Hula' thats awesome. There you go mate, no more excuses from both parties for not buying a uke. Hey, thats a brilliant idea, I should encourage my missus' to do the same....'Ah, more ukes', bloody brilliant! Anyway, I hope something good comes your way soon.
Cheers
fongie
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »

Anyone here like to exchange Uke music and chords? Maybe simple, laidback sorta music that everyone can play. Heres a couple.....
Iko Iko - G & D chords
Rhythm of the falling rain - C, F, G7, chorus - F, Em7, Dm7, G7, C, Am, D7
Cheers
fongie
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: