Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Uke's  (Read 16722 times)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »

Has anyone thought of starting up a uke column on this forum? Especially Lav ukes. I love these instruments, they sound great and are easy to play,  light,and most of all they cost less. I have four ukes, two from the 60's Japan, a beautiful Koa Hawaii, and a roustabout which I use for my travels. I come from Papua New Guinea so I grew up with these instuments playing island music, just like in Hawaii....'Beautiful'. So is there anyone interested?
Fongie
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »

Go for it Lawn, they sound great. I also heard Larrivee ukes are powering in price and are most collectable in the uke world. I wish I could get my hands on one of these, unfortunately the Aus.$ is my problem against the U.S. I can see ya' 'Hulaing' in the near future. Let us know what happen's. Thanks.
Fongie
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:24:34 AM »

G'day again Lawn, I forgot to give you the website on you tube, on your search engine just type in "Ukulele weeps by Jake Shimabukuro". Please do us a favour and watch this if you haven't already done so...'Magic'.
 This piece will surely put anyone on ukes if they haven't got one. Especially finger pickers. I play a song called 'Waikiki Tamure', ....'Beautiful'.
Fongie
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »

Saw Jake last night.

The Dude abides.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »

Here's a Larrivee uke......

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:32:38 PM »

Oh, for sure L.J, you are definately bidding on a serious lookin' uke. Curly Koa as well, boy that is sure nice. Yes for sure curly's always look good, John sure know his Koa's. I definately love both ukes shown here, good colouring, grain, charactor, inlays and Lav's to top it off. How cool is that. I'm jealous!
Cheers Fongie 
P.S Go for it L.J 
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »

Where do you find the Larrivee UKES??

it is impossible to find them here

Jeffrey

NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:55 PM »

Why do people desire that they will never have? For me it is Kim Kardashian for others it is Larrivee ukes. I guess I would consider a Larrivee uke if they were to make a tenor 'cause I'm not comfortable with anything smaller. So for now I will be happy with my Tanguy Tenor and my Kamaka Taro-patch (8-string tenor) but no Kimmy.

The Dude abides.

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:42 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I sure love all ukes provided they are made with good wood, name and not from China. You sure got yourself some serious ukes. I like Kamakas, Aren't they suppose to be the Martin of ukes? Anyway, you've done ok.
Cheers Fongie
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »

G'day es-335, found you couple of web sight on Lav Ukes for sale. Big orange guitar http://www.bigorangeguitar.com/ and Vintage Instruments  online Catalogue, click to home page and then click to ukes. A word of warning....'Hope you got a big bank account'.
Cheers
Fongie blush blush
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »

I have a relatively cheap Ashbury tenor ukulele, made in Indonesia and sold here in the UK. (I'd prefer a Larrivée, needless to say.)   I was given a tip on how to improve the sound of any uke - expensive or modest.  I took up the tip and the difference was phenomenal - change the strings for Italian-made "Aquila" strings.  Some of the high-end makers now send out their instruments already fitted with Aquilas.

The difference in tone and volume is quite unbelievable.  I would recommend them to all ukulele players.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »

G'day just received my uke today, very happy. It's a 1960's, Japanese uke, rosewood veneer back and side, hog front and neck, teak veneer fretboard. Purchased from a lady in Melbourne Aust. I named the uke 'Susie', after the owner and because Susie sounds Japanese.
Cheers
Fongie

[attachment deleted by admin]
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:52:27 AM »

G'day P.P, your uke sounds awesome, how about some pics? Thanks so much for your tip on the aquila strings, I'm definately on to it.
Cheers
Fongie
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

G'day es-335, found you couple of web sight on Lav Ukes for sale. Big orange guitar http://www.bigorangeguitar.com/ and Vintage Instruments  online Catalogue, click to home page and then click to ukes. A word of warning....'Hope you got a big bank account'.
Cheers
Fongie blush blush

Oh MY GOSH......

after looking at the price, I don't think I'd go with the Larrivee Uke...

Koaloha or Kamaka would be my choice...

Jeffrey

acoustic6

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »

I just bought my first uke and it should be here today!  I'd of course love to have one of the Koa Larrivee models but they are a bit more coin than I wanted to spend on my first ukulele.  I still ended up with probably more instrument than I need but I bought a Kiwaya KTS-5.  It's made in Japan, all solid woods, and sounds fantastic to my ear.  Had the opportunity to try one in a store here in Seattle but found a smoking deal online.  Modeled after the vintage Martins, mine has all mahogany body and the cool little friction tuners.  They seem to get a lot of positive reviews for their instruments.

Anyone looking for a Larrivee uke should look here:
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

I saw two listed.  One a concert in mahogany and the other a real looker in Koa!

1986 Larrivee L-05
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »

Here are some photos of my ukes.
The Tangi was around $375.00 when I bought it. It is a boomer so much so that when playing with other ukes I have to tone it down. His shop was on the east side of Honolulu but I haven't contacted them in a while. I bought it direct.
The Kamaka was around $750.00 when I bought it but now they are a lot higher I should have bought one when I was at the factory in Honolulu but I was looking at my first uke at the time and the Kamakas were at bit pricey. I purchased the Taro-patch at Gryphon.

Tangi Tenor

Kamaka Taro-patch 8-string Tenor

Don't take this wrong I own two Larrivee guitars and they are my #1 000-50 and #2 0-05 but it is too bad that Larrivee has a habit of building an instrument for a short time then discontinuing it. I guess I was quite lucky when I found the 0-05 because I have yet to see another.

The Dude abides.

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »

G'day, congrats on your 'Kiwaya KTS-5', sounds awesome, believe me you won't regret. It'll take a little gettin' use to, but once you do, you won't stop. Hog body & from Japan , great combo. Japanese are so excellent in their workmanship. I've got two japanese ukes, beautiful. Oh, thanks for the websight, I will check it out.
Cheers
Fongie P.S. How about pics?
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »

Oh Boy, sure love the 'Tanguy' & 'The Kamaka ukes', beautiful. O yes, you should have bought at the Kamaka factory, not to many can say they've been there let alone buy a uke direct from there. Then again who cares, I think you bought well. Thanks for sharing them with us. Boy, I'm so jealous.
Cheers
Fongie
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »

I have a Larrivee uke. The size is between a soprano & concert, beautiful mahogany from the last run in Canada.
There is no inlay on the headstock, but the top at the binding is inlaid well.
For a small instrumet it is loud. AQUILLA strings made a BIG difference. The uke is intonated very well.
I have a Tangi concert, great ukes very resonably priced. I also have a Koaloha D-VI, it is unbelievable.
I would love to have a Koaloha tenor, but can't justify another ukulele. If anyone is looking for a quality uke from Hawaii I highly recomend the Koaloha.
My 1926 Gibson tenor is the crown jewell in my collection.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »

G'day folks, just bought a beaut uke today, I reckon maybe 50's or 60's not sure. The seller not sure either. Not sure if it's 'Koa', I believe it might be, hard to tell till it arrives. Paid $222.00 Aust. WOW, WOW, WOW. From 'Hawaii'.  What do all you folks reakon, koa or not?
Fongie
P.S Pics

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: