Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Sitting On Top Of The World"  (Read 726 times)
Will Fly

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »

Here's a very loose version of that old blues "Sitting On Top Of The World". Recorded using both Sony Minidisc recorder (acoustically) and through a Roland 8-track - mixed down to get the required tone. I first heard this tune from the playing of Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, and then from the playing of Doc Watson. My version is based very loosely on Doc's.

Here's the YouTube compression:

Sitting On Top The World (YouTube)

And here's the high-quality Vimeo compression:

Sitting On Top Of The World (Vimeo)

Cheers,

Will

PS: You might be interested in a mandolin/guitar duet. The mandolin was made by a friend of mine and is on permanent loan to me. The backing gitar is the OM... The Marquis Of Lorne

I've been a busy bee this Sunday!
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »

That was great  I give it five stars. I love that fluid style of fingerpicking used on traditional type tunes. Most of the versions I've heard use a shuffle type rhythm. I did hear the warm Doc Watson influenced tone; kinda reminded me of his version of 'Blue Railroad Train'.

sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:28:31 AM »

Will

that is great playing!  had to go through everything you put up!  what a pleasure.  very cool to hear your rendition of cuckoo's nest.  its one of the recent songs given to me in my lessons.  had never heard it before the assignment and I have been enjoying it.  I play the little version in the flatpicker;s fake book and of course, pick it.  love your version of blue monk too.  one of my favorite songs ever since I saw monk play it back in school days.  thanks for sharing.  will visit your recordings to hear what your playing often.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
Mantula

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »

Lovin' The Marquis Of Lorne Will 
Not a mandoline player myself, I was wondering why you only seem to use downward strokes with the plectrum ?
I'm inclined to think up-and-down movements could make the solo move a little smoother, but of course I may be totally wrong here.
Probably has to do with not missing the octave strings ?
Good playing overall - keep it up.
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »

Lovin' The Marquis Of Lorne Will 
Not a mandoline player myself, I was wondering why you only seem to use downward strokes with the plectrum ?
I'm inclined to think up-and-down movements could make the solo move a little smoother, but of course I may be totally wrong here.
Probably has to do with not missing the octave strings ?
Good playing overall - keep it up.

An easy question to answer - I'm a very occasional mandolin player! I pick it up from time to time and do what I can. The fingering's easy because I've played tenor banjo (which is a 5th down from the mandolin, i.e. viola tuning) for many years. However, whereas I can play with up and down strokes quite easily on the tenor banjo, I find the narrowness of the mandolin neck a little fiddly and - as you say - it's easier to get an even tone in those circumstances by doing constant up strokes. Mind you, if you look closely, you'll see some up-and-down work in the second theme... must have lost my head!

Cheers,

Will
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »

An easy question to answer - I'm a very occasional mandolin player! I pick it up from time to time and do what I can. The fingering's easy because I've played tenor banjo (which is a 5th down from the mandolin, i.e. viola tuning) for many years. However, whereas I can play with up and down strokes quite easily on the tenor banjo, I find the narrowness of the mandolin neck a little fiddly and - as you say - it's easier to get an even tone in those circumstances by doing constant up strokes. Mind you, if you look closely, you'll see some up-and-down work in the second theme... must have lost my head!

Cheers,

Will
No, you're just a natural misplaced oldtime  bluegrasser Will!  Bill Monroe even on fast stuff was big into downstrokes only, or as much as possible anyway. He was a powerful man all the way around and I think he went for the power of the downstroke.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: