why name a guitar?

Started by DaveyO, November 07, 2008, 08:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You see, thats the exact reason why we name our guitars. Every name has a tale or a reason, every name has meaning, allows us to ponder, envy and sigh. We wouldn't be discussing this subject if we didn't have names. By the way Lyric girl, I lev the name 'Hollie' and the story that goes with her. :thumb :thumb

Quote from: fongie on November 09, 2008, 04:03:19 PM
You see, thats the exact reason why we name our guitars. Every name has a tale or a reason, every name has meaning, allows us to ponder, envy and sigh. We wouldn't be discussing this subject if we didn't have names. By the way Lyric girl, I lev the name 'Hollie' and the story that goes with her. :thumb :thumb

Fongie, Thanks. Holly kind of named herself.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Guitars have personalities. As a multiple Larrivee owner,I deal with multiple personalities. My guitars speak to me and I to them. It would be very inconsiderate to just say let's play 03 or whatever.As members of my family, my guitars need and deserve a name. Is that weird or what? DougS

Quote from: DaveyO on November 07, 2008, 08:45:46 AM
I dont get naming guitars, someone enlighten me.
I just call mine the Larrivee or the Tele or  the Martin.
dave

That's fine if you own one of each brand, but if you own multiples, you've got to come up with something more, right? Rather than name my Taylors "1,2 & 3", they are "Cujo", "Marina" and "Sophia" (oldest to youngest). My Larrivee is named "Liat", and my Fender is named "Koda".  See? It's fun!!
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

They just sort of give themselves names, or not. Although, I have noticed that the ones "to be named later" tend to leave before a name is discovered. We're waiting to see if this new Yamaha has a name. Pete & Arlo (the parlo-----r) have nothing to worry about. They're not going anywhere without me.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Quote from: wyodeb on December 07, 2008, 03:15:58 PM
They just sort of give themselves names, or not.

Hmmm....I'm going to check to see if any of mine have names. How can you tell?

:tongue:
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

My 300th post... I intended it to be something profound, but I'm going for this light one.

I only named my 2 Taylors: Wally because it's a 410e-LTD Walnut, and Kay because its a GS Koa; when I got my 3rd Taylor, a GS 816ce => I did not name it anymore.

Got my OO finally  :laughin: and it has no name.

I stopped naming my guitars when my daughters thought I was going coockoo :wacko: :arrow...

Hey... one of my friends the one who bought Wally has a name for every letter of the alphabet... he's an electric git guy!

ricky

Quote from: Sordello on November 09, 2008, 12:06:30 AM
Just curious though: if you give your guitar a girl's name, and then install an end-pin jack, do you need to change to a boy's name?   :?

If you've given your guitar a girls name you can't install an end-pin jack;   you must install and end-pin  jill otherwise you're asking for trouble and may cause an identity crisis.

Most of my gutars are just "hey you"  as in "hey you, it's your turn"

Tuffythepug

Quote from: Sordello on November 09, 2008, 12:06:30 AM
Just curious though: if you give your guitar a girl's name, and then install an end-pin jack, do you need to change to a boy's name?   :?

no no no....I thought if it had an end pin jack it was SUPPOSED to have a girls name. but these days you never know.

:?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on December 08, 2008, 12:30:28 PM

no no no....I thought if it had an end pin jack it was SUPPOSED to have a girls name. but these days you never know.

:?
Tuffy & Dotneck... way to ruin this naming business for me... Just learned from you that guitars have gender?  :?  Kay has an endpin... I wonder if the git would sound louder with a lower fuller bass than it has now if I named the git instead of Kay... ahmmmmm... Kevin!  :blush:

ricky

I named my Guild Dolly because it was built on the day she died - Nov 6, 1998  Dolly was her name...

Stranger still is the fact that she gave me money two weeks before she died and said go out and get a guitar you really want and think of me every time you paly it....after going though about a half dozen Martins, Gibsons and even a National I finally settled on this particular guitar about a year and  a ahalf later iin 2001....It was in Spruce tree Music in Madison Wis....The Guild had been hangin in the shop for over a year before I asked to paly it....I hit a big fat G chord and said OK this is it.  My blood ran cold when I looked at the neck block and saw the date...I just kept trading guitar for guitar until I palyed the Guild. Weird eh??
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

Quote from: sutton on December 08, 2008, 12:37:23 PM
I named my Guild Dolly because it was built on the day she died - Nov 6, 1998  Dolly was her name...

Stranger still is the fact that she gave me money two weeks before she died and said go out and get a guitar you really want and think of me every time you paly it....after going though about a half dozen Martins, Gibsons and even a National I finally settled on this particular guitar about a year and  a ahalf later iin 2001....It was in Spruce tree Music in Madison Wis....The Guild had been hangin in the shop for over a year before I asked to paly it....I hit a big fat G chord and said OK this is it.  My blood ran cold when I looked at the neck block and saw the date...I just kept trading guitar for guitar until I palyed the Guild. Weird eh??

Yes weird story , but a great one. I like storys like this. Flathead.
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )