Need Help/Thoughts on D-50 or D-05

Started by eugenius, October 27, 2008, 02:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Guys:

Need a hog dread for strumming and some picking. I own a D-03R and love it, and now looking for a higher end hog Larry to compliment it.

Looks like I"ve narrowed it down to the D-05 and D-50, not much difference in price, but am wondering what your thoughts on these larry hog dreads and the tonal differences between the two.

Thanks

I have the d05 and have played both,But I may be wrong, but for my ears the d05 is a bit brighter sounding
And of course a little different in the looks dept.I am suprised to hear that they are about the same price.
from what I remember the D50 is a bit more.
Decided not to sell it after all, too darn nice to sell( I must have been crazy to consider it)
Dave

I too am in the market for a hog strummer.  I made a run on the guitar shops a couple days ago.  At one place, I played a bunch of fine guitars and came away with the Gibson J-45 as my favorite.  At the other store, I got it down to the Larrivee D-50 and the D-05.  I thought the D-05 had a very slight edge.  I am going to go back a few more times to the same stores and keep banging away until one screams, "Take me home.".......and then I'll think about it some more.
Guild D25 - 1981 spruce/hog
Larrivee OM-03R - 2008 spruce/rosewood...gone
Martin D28....gone
Martin 000-15

I love my D05E. It is my working guitar. To me, as well, it says "Larrivée" more than the 50 series.

i traded my taylor 310ce fo a 2001 d-05 I love this guitar been playing for about 25 years And this one ranks up with the best I have had.. Once I fount the right strings for it using dr sunbeams med gauge best of luck

Having had a D-60 and currently having a D-03,  I would say the major difference for me was that the D-50/60 series really are braced and meant for medium strings and the D-03/05's are set up for light gauge strings.  I used lights on the 60, but it lost a lot of punch when I did that.  I also liked the neck profile better of the 05's vs. the 50/60.  If you can you should really play both,  I thought they both sounded great, but they felt different.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )

My son's buddy who plays electric guitar in a band was looking for a nice acoustic for his strumming and lead type work. He played lots of Larrivees and several Martins and landed on the D-05 and has no regrets. My son's brother in law (in the same band) bought an L-03R so between the two of them, they have the best of both worlds (mahogany and rosewood).