Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Much Joy and Great Gladness! A new L 03R...  (Read 736 times)
RrrockinBob

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »

My wife just said "If only you'd talk about me like that."  Well, I said, if only you were completely balanced across the whole range and responded to my every touch with perfect sweetness, then I'd talk about you like that.  It's a new baby, just a day old, and i'll come back and comment further, but just one thing I've noticed already, and this echoes what I've read from many other people, that the guitar has begun to open up within an incredibly short space of time. Even in the store it seemed that within a couple of hours the sound simply improved.  i went in looking for an L03R but thought I'd also try an L09 and somehow find the extra dough, after all it was going to be a one-time big purchase, but quite frankly, i didn't like the glossy look at all - too cheap and tarty looking IMO. Soundwise there wasn't much in it as they both sounded beautiful, so i put the 09 back on the rack. the problem was though, choosing between this and a D 03R. The salesman said, hey, you don't want an L series, you've gotta try a dred. Admittedly, he said he was a big rocker and only liked the sound of dreds, but he said something that had a big effect on me. He said I've worked in music shops for 10 years, and this D03 is truly a guitar in a million. It wasn't sales talk as they're not on commission there and the price was about the same.  There was certainly something fabulous about the huge chunky tone of the dred, and for over an hour i was sure i would pick that one over the L. I went back and forth again and again, took 2 toilet breaks, walked round the store and tried a few electrics and kept coming back to these 2 guitars. For an hour the dred had the edge, but strangely, whether it was psychological or not, whatever that means, the L just kept on sounding better. sure there was more balls to the D and it really did sound great both for strumming and for picking, but the longer i played the L, there was just something that became increasingly sweeter and sweeter about the top end response. Finally i said, OK I'm off for another pee, and when i come back i'll give each one another 2 minutes and then i'll decide. I did that, and the D sounded rich and fabulous, and then i played the same on the L, and there was such a beautiful sweet sustaining ring to it that i said, i can't leave this guitar behind and decided on the L.  I'm not sorry for a moment, there's just this mlittle sneaking feeling that his words that the D was one in a million was something, given his undoubted experience, i should have taken notice of and bought the D. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste, but i felt his comments were honest and based on great knowledge. Of course, i know what many of you will now say - "Go back and buy the other one too" and if i somehow come up with the dough i will do just that. anyway, I couldn't be happier with the model i chose. it's simply stunning. I'll return in some time and report how it's opening up and whether or not i went back to get the other one as well. Cheers, and drinks and donuts all round or whatever it is you guys eat. Rob
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

I think that initial opening up is a "waking up" from not having been played much at all. I had the same experience with my LV-03r. Some will say it's all psychosomatic. For me it was too obvious to be that.

Have fun with your new guitar.   bigrin

L-03 Italian Spruce
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:48:42 PM »

That's a lot of trips to the toilet in an hour!

Welcome, and  nice guitar

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Sordello

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »

Welcome to the Forum RrrockinBob!!

Yeh well, dreads are cows. They have work to do; milk them during the stage shows for all they're worth - strum loudly so the waitress in the back alley having a smoke can hear you...

But the L ... that is a lady, a LLLLLLLLady, you take home with you: no wonder your wife is jealous! (She wouldn't be jealous of a fat-bottomed, donut- saturated dread!)

Okay, so I'm biased.....     welcome
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »

You made your choice in a good fashion, especially keeping the bladder from being a distraction. So it's the right choice, and congratulations.
Me, I went in for an L and came home with a D-03R. Pretty much the same process, minus toilet breaks. No regrets.
leftync

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:58:50 PM »

I also went looking for an L and came back with the D.  A year later, I went to the same dealer and bought the L. Both 03s, both rosewood.The L came with a pickup. So far I prefer the sound of the D--in fairness, I've put medium strings, bone nut, saddle and pins on it, while I haven't even changed the strings on the L yet--and I prefer the L for comfort and playability. I'm hoping that when I modify the L I won't need the D anymore. Your post encourages me to believe that I may someday like the L more than my D. I do prefer the L's neck and waist. But since the economy is lousy, I can justify not selling either for a bit. And as long as Larrivee keeps raising prices and I keep my guitars in great shape they might eventually gain a bit in resale value.
Let us know whether your L matches or nearly matches the D's depth once you change strings to mediums. But you bought a really nice guitar, maybe the best value of any guitar, and you're going to get a great deal of pleasure from it.
Dorman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »

Congrats on a great guitar - last week I had the same kind of experience - I trialed a few models back and fourth for about 4 hours.  I went in looking for an L-03R,  but they didn't have it in rosewood.  Same with the D-03, no rosewood.  I went back and fourth on an all saeple L-03 and the guitar I ultimately ended up choosing, a D-40.  If they had an L-03 in rosewood perhaps it would've been different, but I'd love to have BOTH.  The power of the rosewood dread, and an L or OM series for more delicate fingerstyle.  If only one was made of money!
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »

Congrats on the new L mate, 03R's are Great! nice guitar

You think it opened up in the store? Put a bone saddle in her and watch her sing!

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson ES-339.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Broadus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »

Congratulations, Bob. I love the depth of a dread, but I love even more the balance, playability, and comfort of the L.

Bill

Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)
Mantula

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 06:07:22 AM »

The L over the D, the satin over the gloss… yep, I'd probably made the very same choice. Congratulations and enjoy !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: