Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Cut To The Chase On The Forum Guitar  (Read 1297 times)
philster

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2004, 07:06:36 PM »

I hate to throw water on the party, but as I see it, everyone who keeps asking for satin, or the other code word "affordable" isn't going to buy one anyway.  Nothing against ya'll but since you all want the rarest woods Larrivee has used, and since Larrivee won't do a special order in satin, the guitars will be between 1700 and 2700 USD.  Am I wrong in this?  Will there be more than three of these purchased when and if the time comes?

I have a modest proposal.  As a group select an EXISTING model, put down your bucks FIRST and commission Wendy (I hope that's her name, the kids haven't let me sleep much the last few days) to design a tasteful, unique, BUT SIMPLE inlay for the neck or headstock.  Maybe LGF 2004 on the headstock in place of Larrivee, or something similar down where all the martins have their signatures...  If enough of you sign up you might convince them to do it on a 3 series.

What's wrong with an OM-3r or Maple with an inlay pattern only 5 or 10 people have.  Will there be 00 or 000 satin guitars made?  satin 12 frets? If so one of those would be an option.  If not, drop it right now...  I said drop it... DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP IT!!!!  Good dog   :P

I hope I'm not coming off as too negative, but I've seen too many groups design plans and programs, only to have everyone back away when the true costs become known.  Pick an 03 model, beg for a special inlay.  Sorry, but if you want affordable, that's the way to do it.

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
sevenup

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:15:48 PM »

philster, the problem is, not all of us want what makes the forum guitar "Special" with the inlay.  I rather like the 03 series stock, plain black headstock with larrivee name on it.   Also with Abalone, some of us prefer Koa like the Taylor 5xx series.  On top of that, I personally prefer satin not because its cheaper, but because I rather like the feel of satin and the slight more open sound.
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 07:17:03 PM »

There ya go. Sounds like a plan to me

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
philster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 07:59:43 PM »

philster, the problem is, not all of us want what makes the forum guitar "Special" with the inlay.  I rather like the 03 series stock, plain black headstock with larrivee name on it.   Also with Abalone, some of us prefer Koa like the Taylor 5xx series.  On top of that, I personally prefer satin not because its cheaper, but because I rather like the feel of satin and the slight more open sound.
Hey Seven, I understand completely.  I usedto have a gorgeous Koa and Cedar fingerstyle.  Only thing I didn't like about it was "Limited Edition 1992" on the neck.  It was black block letering in an abalone rectangle.  BLECH!

Let me try to explain myself better.  The problem is I'm hearing alot of champaign dreams but tuna helper budgets.  If you've always wanted a combination of features not normally available there is a name for it.  A custom guitar.  you can't get one for "around a grand" as I have repeatedly heard the target price is for the forum guitar.  Getting even 5 people to design and agree on a custom guitar is an exercise in frustration.  Heck, getting 5 to agree on a pizza is almost impossible.  

You like satin?  So do I.  Only problem is only guitars made in Canada get the satin finish because that's where the Satin finish facilities are.  The new models are coming out of California.  All the tooling is there.  

So if you guys want a guitar, with rare woods, truly built to your specifications, cool.  Just don't run around playing grab-a** thinking your going to get one for under 3 grand, let alone 2 grand!  It's not fair to the people who have actually put their time in on making it happen.  

I have no doubt that Dave, or the other dealers can get you a Kick-Butt deal on a one of a kind guitar, but let's be realistic about the price, and lets be realistic about how many people are REALLY going to buy one.  I can't as things stand because ya'll seem to be leaning to 00 size and that's a trip to chiropractor for me.  Heck I can only play my OM once a week without pain.  My SD-50 and L are painless beauties!

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 08:28:24 PM »

I'd go for a plain maple L-03 with a simple logo for the Larrivee forum, or something that made it unique.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Malachi Irl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 10:14:14 PM »

philster,

I have no qualms paying $1700 or $1800 (not list, street value) for a one off custom from Larrivee. With 10 or more guaranteed signatories, earnest down (say half) no refund...what's the problem? If they over build, their dealers get to explicate the virtues of these exclusive left overs.

I am curious as to why your OM causes you pain though. Care to articulate?

I'm of medium/short (5'8'') stature and have played dreds and OM's and the Lowden F size for years. When seated I rest the waist of the instrument on my top/inner left thigh, quasi-classical style sans the foot rest, knees spread apart, lower bout inbetween my knees. I'm right-handed.

Irl
philster

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 10:37:04 PM »

philster,

I have no qualms paying $1700 or $1800 (not list, street value) for a one off custom from Larrivee.
See that's exactly what I'm talking about!  My SD-50 goes for that much off the shelf.  You basically want a limited run of a custom guitar for that much.  And some of the specs that have been thrown around exceed the SD-50s appointments.  

As to the pain I am 6'4" with wide shoulders and long arms.  Even in a "classical" aka Segovia position, the deep waist, short upper bout layout of the OM results in all kinds of shoulder and neck pain for me AFTER I put the guitar down.  So there is no warning that I should stop.  I feel fine playing it, but the next day my left shoulder and neck are shot, even with preemptive anti-inflammatories.  It's just too small for me.  I have to admit a history of bike crashes and wrestling and football injuries set the groundwork, but the small guitar kills me.  The L body and jumbos and shallow waisted full size dreads just fit me better.  My body is in a relaxed position and I can play forever.  Unfortunately I love the sound and neck on my OM.  

yo2tup

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 12:18:28 AM »

i say a maple LV or OMV (05 or 03) with some sort of nice (but not too fancy!) inlay  

afro  
Daddyo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 01:06:14 AM »

philster,

I have no qualms paying $1700 or $1800 (not list, street value) for a one off custom from Larrivee.
See that's exactly what I'm talking about!  My SD-50 goes for that much off the shelf.  You basically want a limited run of a custom guitar for that much.  And some of the specs that have been thrown around exceed the SD-50s appointments.  

As to the pain I am 6'4" with wide shoulders and long arms.  Even in a "classical" aka Segovia position, the deep waist, short upper bout layout of the OM results in all kinds of shoulder and neck pain for me AFTER I put the guitar down.  So there is no warning that I should stop.  I feel fine playing it, but the next day my left shoulder and neck are shot, even with preemptive anti-inflammatories.  It's just too small for me.  I have to admit a history of bike crashes and wrestling and football injuries set the groundwork, but the small guitar kills me.  The L body and jumbos and shallow waisted full size dreads just fit me better.  My body is in a relaxed position and I can play forever.  Unfortunately I love the sound and neck on my OM.
Simple solution. Don't stop playing. :lol:  

Larrivee L-03R with iBeam passive and LR Bigs ParaDI
Aria AC50
Robert Cray Stratocaster
Ibanez AS 73 Artcore
Fender Precision Standard Bass
Traynor YCV 40T
Roland Cube 30
Yorkville XM 50
Aria FA 71
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print