Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Atheist's Lament" on OM-03R  (Read 2100 times)
ukeforever

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2008, 06:07:45 PM »

Here's a new YouTube I posted recently from a local open mike. I'm playing my OM-03R (e), but NOT plugged in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1Fmo9Yan0

I'm playing open G, but with a cut capo. From 6 to 1: D#GDGBD, with a cut capo one and a half steps up. This gives me a clear bass note for my 4 chord.

The video quality is not the greatest, but the pretty sound of these "recording model" Larrivees certainly do sound awesome. Mine is fairly young--a 2008, and already it's opening like crazy.
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:00:36 AM »

Nice work! The youtube video quality makes your OM-03R look 20 years old. Sounds great too!

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »

Friend,...nice guitar, nice music but such a sad heart.

I once had the same questions and emptyness.

Why is there suffering in the world ?
- If we look in the mirror we will find the answer. We do it to ourselves.

The mistreated women and children you sang about -
Is it God who mistreats them or PEOPLE ?

Why doesn't God prevent it ?   freedom has its price,
It is in the power and choice of the person who does the wrong to prevent it.

Will the ' justice ' you sing of ever come to pass ?
Yes, and the punishment will be infinitely worse than the crime.
The reward to the victum will be infinitely better than the hurt.

I was an agnostic headed in your direction.
Then I did the unimaginable...
I said to myself , "What if.."
I searched everywhere else and found no answers...
only one place left to look..

So I gave 'God' a last chance to show Himself.
This may startle you but I actually said,
" If you are real, and this book is from you, then show me"

I started at page one  (yea , just like any other book)
and did not like what I was reading...but I was determined to read the book from cover to cover (just like any other book)
as I gave God ' His last chance with me'. Now I have the answers...and peace.

Friend, I ask one favor of you, before you give up on Him, give Him a chance.
Read the book at least once , cover to cover, and say ' If you are real and this is your book, please show me'.

- Larry  (this is sharing, not preaching)

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
ukeforever

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »

Thanks for the nice words all around. I'm not into explaining my songs too much, but there is a semi-fictional "persona" in the music at times. So without saying too much, I am a lifelong churchgoer and I have run the gamut of these arguments. The argument from suffering is one of the most powerful, especially if one has a belief in a deity who intervenes in history. I'm probably closer to agnostic as I abhor absolutes or certainty on questions that I'm certainly never going to be qualified to answer!

From a songwriting standpoint, I wanted to represent this viewpoint from a perspective that wouldn't be vitriolic or angry, which is where such debates usually go. One commonality I have noticed about avid, card-carrying atheists is a devotion to Bible study. 

Mostly I just like pretty songs, and when I get to write one, it's even better.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »

hmmmmmm, rather odd, a Chevy guy doing a sales pitch for Ford,...???

seems like the song needs a second verse that answers the questions in the first verse.   

I like happy endings....the last chapter turns out really nice.
My IRA dropped 40% recently but my real retirement benefits are ' out of this world ' 

peace

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:20:29 PM »

Thanks for the nice words all around. I'm not into explaining my songs too much, but there is a semi-fictional "persona" in the music at times. So without saying too much, I am a lifelong churchgoer and I have run the gamut of these arguments. The argument from suffering is one of the most powerful, especially if one has a belief in a deity who intervenes in history. I'm probably closer to agnostic as I abhor absolutes or certainty on questions that I'm certainly never going to be qualified to answer!

From a songwriting standpoint, I wanted to represent this viewpoint from a perspective that wouldn't be vitriolic or angry, which is where such debates usually go. One commonality I have noticed about avid, card-carrying atheists is a devotion to Bible study. 

Mostly I just like pretty songs, and when I get to write one, it's even better.

I like your reply regarding the lyrical content and I completely get writing from a "semi-fictional persona" standpoint.  Thanks for wrapping it in such a nice song.  The melody and accompaniment fit very well and complimented the questioning nature of the song.  Your playing and singing was very nice as well.  Nice job.
 The rosewood OM sounded very nice.  I got to play one yesterday at the local music store.  Of the dreads, L's and couple other OM's they had, a certain OM-09 won the "which one would I take home today" game.  I went straight home, put new strings on my OM-03MT and played it the rest of the evening.  Ahhhh yes
ukeforever

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 06:23:15 AM »

Yes, so many "which one would I take home today," so little cash! I do the same thing online. My eBay watch list is like a little museum with one-week expiration dates.

I still can't get over the woody tone of the OM-03R. Not a lot of growl, but definitely makes a pretty noise. 
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:58:51 AM »

hmmmmmm, rather odd, a Chevy guy doing a sales pitch for Ford,...???

seems like the song needs a second verse that answers the questions in the first verse.   

I like happy endings....the last chapter turns out really nice.
My IRA dropped 40% recently but my real retirement benefits are ' out of this world ' 

peace

- Larry
Larry, I can tell from my experience as a long time songwriter that to me a song is a song. Sometimes from your own perspective, sometimes trying to nail someone else's perspective or sometimes out of the clear blue. It sounds like you have something to say. Check it out. Songwriting is not necessarily just a God given gift.  It's a craft that you can work on and get good at if you have something to say. I don't take your table tennis champion status lightly. You've got some fire in you. Write us a song!
 Good job uke

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »

Write us a song!

thanks for the invite - I've tried,  but my poetry skills are average at best - and my biggest problem is I can't seem to come up with a melody that is unique. If I try to start a new melody it always turns into a melody I already know.

As a Christian, I could never write a song promoting the atheist view. I've had friends who were atheists or agnostics.
I could understand them because I once walked in their shoes - and I could certainly write a song FOR them that presented the unbeliever's viewpoint - but my last verse of the song would suggest answers for them - out of compassion - not in a mean spirited fasion.

If I were a professional song writer (or even as a hobby) - to write a song that drew support from unbelievers -
then to me - I would be 'sleeping with the enemy'  - the enemy being Satan - not the unbeliever.
If you look at the youtube posting for " Atheist's Lament' - there are responses with positive support from those who seem to agree with the ideas in the song.  This will hurt them in the long run - not help them.

I assumed the writer of the lament was himself an atheist - if you notice, my original response was not mean spirited (and no one has suggested it was)- rather I offered some advice in a friendly manner. Christ is friendly, ..not sure ?...just ask Him !

I understand what you mean about it being a craft -
Jerry Reed wrote a song about divorce called - ' She got the gold mine, I got the shaft'-
I thought he wrote it from personal experience but it turns out he was married to the same woman all his life.

- peace
Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »

Larry I don't want to hijack this thread as I've been seeming to get off topic enough lately already but if you are intersted in song writing, watch for thread I hope to open before too long about song writing. I'll try to remember to put in ways to help come up with fresh melodies.

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »

thanks, I'll watch for it  bigrin

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

ukeforever

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »

I love hearing original melodies, but I think if we really analyzed the popular music in Western culture, we'd find a lot of hybrids and repeated patterns. Yes, the idea of "that sounds like something I've heard before" has stopped me in my tracks, but most of the time, I'm hoping it sounds different enough to qualiffy as "original." Often times, I find that other songs lead me in the direction of writing something original.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »

Oh I agree.  One in a million come up with truely original melodies. And then they run the risk of not being appreciated til thier dead!

Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 05:36:24 AM »

Good songwriting!

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: