5 top guitars if money was no object(or that you would just like to have)

Started by DaveyO, October 13, 2008, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A 50's early tele or nocaster
60's strat
A good old D-28
gold top les paul
dual humbucker tele

1930 Martin OM-45 Deluxe   ($200,000 plus)
                                         1934 Martin 000-45
                                         1936 Gibson Advanced Jumbo
                                         1938 Gibson J-200
                                         1945 Stromberg Master 400 Cutaway

If I had these I could sell them all and retire :whistling:
                            Or be a very happy player  :guitar

Martin HD-35
Martin D-21 Special
Larrivée LV-05
McKnight Deacon (Ziricote looks interesting as a back & side wood, but I have lots to learn about tops - lutz is a possibility)
Paragon 13-fret Sloped Dread (cocobolo/adirondack)

..that's just for starters. I recently played an R Taylor Style 1 with a redwood top and IIRC striped ebony back & sides. WOW!
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

#1  Norman Blake's D-28s 12-fret sunburst from the 1930's......don't think he has it anymore, but THAT is an amazing sounding guitar (search youtube...you'll see/hear it)
#2  Larrivee SD-50
#3  Collins Dred........not too picky which one, I'll take any of them.
#4  Goodall Traditional Dred.....oooh, sounds so nice
#5  Martin D-18 GE   (monster tone...and price)
#5b  Birthyear Martin D-28 (1967)....there's one in a shop in my town....VERY nice, but also almost 6 grand (sigh)

Right now though, I really like what I have.  I have a Czech build Furch/Stanford 12-fret dred on the big brown truck right now.........heard it on a video clip and she's a good 'un, and I got a reall y great deal on it.....great guy sold it to me too.  So that, with my all hog dred Larrivee, and my little parlor makes me pretty set.
BUT, if you want to give me anyone of the top 5 above, I'll gladly take them off of your hands.  :roll
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"

Quote from: lyric_girl on October 14, 2008, 06:15:36 PM
Larrivee P09
R Taylor Style 1
Taylor 914
Weber Yellowstone F Style Mandolin (I know you guys said guitars, but I would definitely buy this mando if money were no object)
Lowden (something)

So you are starting at the top of the list then Lynda - wish I was making more progress with my list.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

1. the guitar was used by the Beatles
2.                    ditto          Elvis Presently
3. Martin D-100
4. Martin D-50
5. any guitars that I have ever played (priceless ... $ can't buy!!)

Quote from: BenF on October 29, 2008, 05:16:02 PM
So you are starting at the top of the list then Lynda - wish I was making more progress with my list.

Yeah well, with my Larrivee not paid off and a Rickenbacker coming in the next 10-16 months, that R Taylor is a LONG way away, unless I win the lottery or dump the husband and marry someone rich!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

If money were no object? Ok - I know I'm cheatin' (kinda'), can I reduce to 5 per body size pleazzze?  Hmmm, I guess my answer would be different almost every time. I used to be a Dread-guy, in search of power, projection and volume.... I have however, adopted to the more response from a subtle touch, overall balance and more expressive nature of smaller bodies. Of course if money were no object I'd have probably owned Paul Heumiller's entire inventory!
Seriously though, it would be something like this:

1. Santa Cruz H-13 sunburst  :nice guitar:
2. Huss & Dalton 00-SP (12 Fret)
3. Martin OM28JM (John Mayer) or their OMC Fingerstyle 1 (Adirondack & Spanish Cedar back & sides)
4. Collings OM2 Varnish
5. Maingard GC (local boy....)

Dreads:
1. Martin D45 GE
2. Bozung Wise (Slope shoulder)
3. Bourgeois DB Signature (ultimate string-to-string balance)
4. Santa Cruz Tony Rice Professional
5. Merril C-18 or Martin CSN (Jerry Tollman)

Jumbo/0000:
1. Santa Cruz VJ (Slope Shoulder)
2. Gibson SJ200 Custom Montana
3. Martin HJ-38 Stefan Grossman
4. Larrivee J-05 (perhaps because it's no longer available!!!!)
5. Huss & Dalton DS 12 Brazilian (Slope Shoulder)

Somewhere in there would also have to be a Langejans GC, and an Olson SJ - Western Red Cedar and Brazilian. (yes, I'm an avid Keaggy fan)  How about that?
I'm waiting for my "Smoothtalker" (being built as we speak) by Mervyn Davis. Unlike anything you've ever seen (or heard) - see www.mervyndavisguitars.com for details. Still love my Larri's though.... :winkin:

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Zohn,wow that is a serious list!!...You really put some thought into it....Btw,I DO hope you are right about the Bourgeois DB Sig.I've just custom ordered one,in BRAZ.To be delivered some time in January.I pray it really is as good as I hope!

I got a "lovely" D-03R a few weeks ago,and must admit to being very impressed.Very well constructed,nice "earthy" look with the satin finish,which kinda' gets you closer to the wood IMO.Sonically it simply sounded amazing,and regardless of asking price,it is a superb instrument.

I was thinking of complimenting it with a D-18 Authentic(hog personality)as a second(different)Dred,but really did not think the Martin was "much" better than my Larry.It was better,but not enough to justify the price differential.Still,I remained curious as to what would be the next alternative Dred for me.I wanted two,but each slightly different "takes".

So,I played the BRAZ,and felt "it" was just as legitimately different sounding compared to my EIR D-03R,as going with the Hog D-18A vs the D-03R.....

As a Hog alternative(I love Rosewaood,but I've got to have a Hog,in one of my guitars) I'm ordering a 000-18 Authentic next week(that little guitar really sings)BUT in truthfulness I'm beginning to think virtually ALL Larrivees are sensational "buys".YES,there is better,but the differences are NOT huge,like the price differentials are.

Just an opinion.

Here's my wish list.

1. Collings Winfield in brazilian rosewood
2. Larrivee D-60 Madagascar rosewood / Adirondack top
3. Larrivee D-50
4. Larrivee OOO-60 Brazilian
5. Larrivee L-10 Brazilian w/ Roselady headstock
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: saintandsinnerguy on October 29, 2008, 08:53:19 AM
#1  Norman Blake's D-28s 12-fret sunburst from the 1930's......don't think he has it anymore, but THAT is an amazing sounding guitar (search youtube...you'll see/hear it)

That guitar does sound great. If I didn't know it was a D-28 I would have swore it was a mahogany guitar because it's so dry and punchy sounding.

Quote from: magictwanger on November 26, 2008, 03:35:41 PM
Zohn,wow that is a serious list!!...You really put some thought into it....Btw,I DO hope you are right about the Bourgeois DB Sig.I've just custom ordered one,in BRAZ.To be delivered some time in January.I pray it really is as good as I hope!

I got a "lovely" D-03R a few weeks ago,and must admit to being very impressed.Very well constructed,nice "earthy" look with the satin finish,which kinda' gets you closer to the wood IMO.Sonically it simply sounded amazing,and regardless of asking price,it is a superb instrument.

I was thinking of complimenting it with a D-18 Authentic(hog personality)as a second(different)Dred,but really did not think the Martin was "much" better than my Larry.It was better,but not enough to justify the price differential.Still,I remained curious as to what would be the next alternative Dred for me.I wanted two,but each slightly different "takes".

So,I played the BRAZ,and felt "it" was just as legitimately different sounding compared to my EIR D-03R,as going with the Hog D-18A vs the D-03R.....

As a Hog alternative(I love Rosewaood,but I've got to have a Hog,in one of my guitars) I'm ordering a 000-18 Authentic next week(that little guitar really sings)BUT in truthfulness I'm beginning to think virtually ALL Larrivees are sensational "buys".YES,there is better,but the differences are NOT huge,like the price differentials are.

Just an opinion.

Thanks for your view. I notice you do some research yourself, and I trust a lot of "Physical sampling" as well? (you lucky dawg!!!!!) I think you're spot-on with the Bourgeois  :+1:. Usually the designation for the Braz models is "150". It is common knowledge that the best value for money is Bourgeois (relatively speaking - and by no means "cheap") He is renowned for the even balance, and awesome power he gets from his guitars. Also consistent signature sound because of the fact that he thickness his tops to the desired stiffness, rather than a standard thickness. He also measures stiffness of his bracing before he matches them to a top. Apparently his guitars are unique in that they sound "broken in" right out of the box. You can SURELY expect to get a MONSTER - I'll put my name on it!!! He also uses Waverly machines on all his models - unlike Martin who uses them only on their most expensive models. That will surely be a keeper, please enlighten us by sending photos when you get it.
You seem to be fortunate to afford virtually any guitar when you consider the Martin Authentic series. I personally think they're totally overpriced, and engaged in the grips of the latest "buzz" nl. hide glue, authentic T-neck support system, and "built like they used to". What a load of junk! Their Golden Era hogs are commendable though. If you want a (Hog) "Martin" that has been built like a pre-war all along, go for a Merril or Roy Noble, true vintage "Gibsons" are being built by SCGC, John Walker, and Chris Bozung. When looking at 000's, also consider Huss & Dalton, and once again SCGC -they won't disappoint. In all body sizes, you can always check out Bill Collings as well - very highly recommended. And I like quoting my local Larrivee dealer: "I've sold them all, but have yet to find a bad Larrivee". :thumbsup
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Zohn, a few corrections regarding the information you posted o Bourgeois...

BRW can be found on most of his model series, not just the 150s

Dana uses Gotoh 510 on sevveral of his guitars, although Waverly is standard on many

I wouldn't say that Dana's guitars sound "broken in" when they are new. They certainly sound great, but they do "open up" over the course of time, just like any other well built, solid wood instrument.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on November 28, 2008, 04:45:29 AM
Zohn, a few corrections regarding the information you posted o Bourgeois...

BRW can be found on most of his model series, not just the 150s

Dana uses Gotoh 510 on sevveral of his guitars, although Waverly is standard on many

I wouldn't say that Dana's guitars sound "broken in" when they are new. They certainly sound great, but they do "open up" over the course of time, just like any other well built, solid wood instrument.

Thank you Ronmac - if you look at my post again, you'll see I said "usually" meaning "regular" or "standard" for the model range or series.  I believe it is also supplied on custom models like found on any other brand's model range. I doubt it though you'll find BRW on a Bryan Sutton Banjo Killer, or a Country boy.
Waverlies are indeed supplied standard, and you could opt for any other, I didn't know the 510's come standard as well - in which model is that?
I never said they "are" broken in, I said "They sound broken in"  meaning relative to or compared to an equivalent model from another maker. (with specific reference to the Martin D28- Marquis-class)
Thank you for your input, are you a Bourgeois owner?  :wave

Hello , not meaning to bust your @#$%, just want to keep the record clean :thumbsup

Yes, I own a couple of Bourgeois, a 1997 JOMC Deluxe (Bearclaw Sitka over Curly Claro Walnut) and a 2007 DBJC (Redwood over EIR, with Gotoh 510s). Dana makes wonderful instruments, and is not afraid to try new designs or wood combination.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on November 28, 2008, 07:15:53 AM
Hello , not meaning to bust your @#$%, just want to keep the record clean :thumbsup

Yes, I own a couple of Bourgeois, a 1997 JOMC Deluxe (Bearclaw Sitka over Curly Claro Walnut) and a 2007 DBJC (Redwood over EIR, with Gotoh 510s). Dana makes wonderful instruments, and is not afraid to try new designs or wood combination.

Wow, the JOM  :nice guitar: is on my "no object" list as well - what is the bearclaw/Claro like? I believe that  would be the versatile equivalent to the L-body, with way much more response?
I don't know Redwood either, I believe it looks similar to Cedar - is it like an intermediate topwood between Spruce and Cedar (soundwise)?

I would have five differant guitars made just for ME by differant luthiers. Now that would be awesome.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

acoustic..
Everybody's dream SCGC H13....
Gibson J200
Gibson J45
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin D28

Electric
Gibson 59 LP..
Gibson 56 Goldtop with P90
Gibson ES-335
Fender 60 Strat...
Fender 51 nocaster

Jeffrey

Quote from: ronmac on November 28, 2008, 07:15:53 AM

Hi Ronmac, was the DBJC a custom, More specific-was it ordered specially with the Gotohs?

Hi Zohn, It was a standard, off-the-rack guitar, as shown in this picture:

Here is a link to the Bourgeois site

http://www.pantheonguitars.com/guitars/guitars_PRO-dbjumbo.htm

...and the commentary for this model

QuoteThe DB Jumbo Cutaway.   With its "small", 16" jumbo outline, the Bourgeois DB Jumbo Cutaway combines Indian Rosewood and a Redwood  top to produce a full, rich tonal palette.  The medium-wide 1/34" nut and 2 5/16" belly bridge combined with a powerful 25.5" scale make this guitar an excellent choice for the hardcore fingerstyle guitarist.  The Bourgeois Snakehead headstock with ebony veneer  is subtly accented by a tiny white pinstripe. This look is followed through on the neck and body through a subtle black binding with tiny white pinstripe.  The ebony fingerboard has no inlay. Modern Gotoh 510 Gold tuners round off the appointments of this understated, elegant and  powerful guitar.   Here's what Dana has to say about this guitar: 

"In designing the DBJC, I wanted to develop a big guitar with a powerful, yet balanced voice for a serious fingerstyle player with a light to medium touch. I started with a large top, having a round, mechanically efficient lower bout capable of generating power and volume.  Balance is difficult to achieve in large guitars, but absolutely critical to fingerstyle players. To address this issue, the DBJC employs medium-depth sides, several subtle bracing modifications, and an approach to voicing that differs from our other models.  The redwood top provides a quick attack, ringing highs and long sustain;  Indian rosewood is used on the back and sides for warmth and fullness of tone.  I completed the package with fingerstyle-friendly string dimensions of a 1 3/4" nut and 2 5/16" bridge spacing." 

Ron