Acoustic Pick Up & Amp

Started by Greg Curtis, October 07, 2008, 03:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New here guys and I'm sure I'll learn alot about Larris here. I've got my 1st on the way from Jim at Trinity guitars a new L-03R. He's a great guy to deal with.  I want to have Jim put a pickup into it and buy myself a good acoustic amp to play thru. Its only going to be used for practice and my own enjoyment so it doesn't have to anything real big just good sounding. Maybe something in the 15w-30w range. Maybe a LR Baggs I Beam for the pickup? Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp
May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead...

Welcome to the forum Greg!

Kind of new to the amplified acoustic world, but I'm loving my K&K Western Mini pick up and my Ultrasound 50 watt amp.  I understand the 30 watt is a very nice amp as well, and at a good price.  You may be able to find a used one.

I've heard good things about the new pick-up system from Fishman, but I have no first hand experience.

Good luck and enjoy the new guitar

Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)

Quote from: DFR on October 07, 2008, 04:06:33 PM

Kind of new to the amplified acoustic world, but I'm loving my K&K Western Mini pick up and my Ultrasound 50 watt amp.  I understand the 30 watt is a very nice amp as well, and at a good price.  You may be able to find a used one.

I've heard good things about the new pick-up system from Fishman, but I have no first hand experience.

I'll second both choices.

I received my L-03R from Jim at Trinity a couple of weeks ago. He favored the Baggs iBeam active system, so I had him install that. I don't know about amps, but Crate gets a lot of positive talk.

BTW, if it's just for your own enjoyment, why do you want to amplify?

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

I really love the Baggs iMix system.  As for amps, the Bose (oh YEAH, baby) if you can afford it, one of the Fishman Loudbox amps if you can't afford the Bose (the only reason I don't have one of these is that I got the Bose), or one of the Roland AC amps if you can't afford the Fishman.  I also enjoyed the Fender Acoustasonic Head through one of their cabinets, but I haven't played through one enough to really recommend it, but I would definitely say give it a try.
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

I'll go with the K & K Mini for the pickup since that's what I use on another guitar.  I just received my L-03 SO so no pickup as of yet but I will install a K & K on it.

As far as the amp, I like the Fender Acoustonsonic but I use my pickup mostly for recording on my Fostex MR-8MkII.

:)
1964 Sears Silvertone (broken but can't part with it)
1966 Hagstrom I
1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Sunburst
1978 Guild D25CH
2005 Alvarez MSD1
2005 Martin 000-16SGT
2007 Takamine G320
2008 Larrivee L-03 SO
2008 Silver Creek T-170

Quote from: DFR on October 07, 2008, 04:06:33 PM

+1 on both choices also. The K&K is transparent to your guitar when not using an amp an it adds almost 0 weight. You can also not use a preamp (batteries) if you dont want to.
Jerry
www.jerrysleftyguitars.com

Thanks for your opinions guys, really appreciate it. Talked to Jim at Trinity Guitars and he recommended the Baggs I Beam Active so thats the one I'm having him install. Still up in air for an amp but have been looking at a Crate Cimmaron and Taos, 15w and 30w respectively. Broadus, I want to amplify to get some effects from the guitar preferably some reverb and maybe delay. I also record into my Boss BR600 so a pickup is definitely an advantage even though the Boss has 2 built in mics.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

I had an LR Baggs Imix put into my D-03 and a K&K put into my Seagull 12 string. Both excellent pickups, but obviously the iMix gives you more control and choices. As far as an amp, I got a Crate Gunnison which was less than $400. It has 60w, 2 channels, and good features. I have been quite satisfied with the interface with both guitars and pickups.
Hani
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee OM-03R
Seagull M12
Martin Shenandoah

Winnipeg, that Gunnison is a fine amp. Do you play locally for an audience. Mine will just be used as basically a practice amp in a bedroom (my music room I call it) so 60w is a little much I think. A 15w or a 30w probably would work out better for me.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

I do play some small venues, for which the Gunnison is ideally suited. You would be hard pressed by find a decent 15w or 30w amp for a whole lot less money though.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee OM-03R
Seagull M12
Martin Shenandoah

Yeah looking on MF I think you may be right. It has features on it that aren't available on the smaller size Crates.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

Quote from: Greg Curtis on October 08, 2008, 05:01:02 PM
Yeah looking on MF I think you may be right. It has features on it that aren't available on the smaller size Crates.

Thats a problem with smaller amps. I see your logic in going for something with less power, but that may also mean smaller, or only 1 speaker, sometimes 1 Channel, or if 2 they have shared EQ. Also the physical size of the cabinet affects the sound you'll get. If you can raise the cash I wouldn't limit yourself to the lower powered amps, just because its got 60 watts doesnt mean it wont sound great at bedroom levels.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

That's true.  Unlike amps designed for electric guitar which are designed to distort when pushed, acoustic amps (the good ones anyway) are designed to stay clean throughout their power range, so that he sound you get at 1 is the sound you get at 9.  For example, my Bose (and the Marshall AS100D that I had before it) can be played in my living room at barely audible levels or on stage at full tilt boogie, and the only difference in the sound is the volume.

Amps designed for electric guitar, on the other hand, designed to distort at their upper range, need to be looked at carefully as far as their power rating goes.  If you get a 60 watt amp, to push it to it's distortion level the volume has to be turned up so high that it would be useless in a living room setting, whereas a good 5W tube amp would sound delicious.  That same 5W would not be as useful for the stage, whereas the 60W would be killer.  This is the main reason that most electric guitar amps are not suitable for acoustics.  They distort - by design.

Now, as to what power rating you should get, that all depends on the amp, but - all other things being equal - buy as much as you can afford.  Scott is correct in saying that you can always turn down a powerful acoustic amp.  You can't always turn up a weak one.
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Well my amp problem is solved. Picked up a Crate Gunnison on ebay last night for $242.00 including shipping. Looks like new and very lightly used. Thanks guys for all the advice. The 30w amps were higher priced and didn't have the features that the Gunnison has. It even comes with a footswitch. Having Jim at Trinity Guitars install a Baggs I Beam pickup in my L-03R and can't wait to get it and plug it in. Hope the pickup doesn't change the unplugged sound. Thanks again guys! :cheers
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

I played a Gunnison a few times - it sounded good and was easy to dial in

Quote from: Greg Curtis on October 09, 2008, 09:03:30 AM
Well my amp problem is solved. Picked up a Crate Gunnison on ebay last night for $242.00 including shipping. Looks like new and very lightly used. Thanks guys for all the advice. The 30w amps were higher priced and didn't have the features that the Gunnison has. It even comes with a footswitch. Having Jim at Trinity Guitars install a Baggs I Beam pickup in my L-03R and can't wait to get it and plug it in. Hope the pickup doesn't change the unplugged sound. Thanks again guys! :cheers
Excellent price. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee OM-03R
Seagull M12
Martin Shenandoah

Quote from: Greg Curtis on October 09, 2008, 09:03:30 AM
Hope the pickup doesn't change the unplugged sound. Thanks again guys! :cheers

It wont. Got one in my OM-03R.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Expecting the Crate amp sometime next week. Can't wait to get it and then the wait for the L-03R begins. Good to hear the pickup won't affect the sound unplugged. I'll try to post some pics of the Larri when I get it guys.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

Quote from: Greg Curtis on October 11, 2008, 08:21:15 AM
Expecting the Crate amp sometime next week. Can't wait to get it and then the wait for the L-03R begins. Good to hear the pickup won't affect the sound unplugged. I'll try to post some pics of the Larri when I get it guys.
:welcome: Greg!!!
The I-beam is an excellent choice - good for you and congrats with your Larrivee!!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure