Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baggs I-Mix: is an M-1 an option?  (Read 668 times)
GChang

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »

Hi Guys,
   I've recently purchased a Larrivee LV-03R that will be my main gigging acoustic. I purposefully got a model without onboard electronics because I have some unique, (strange) requirements for my sound, and I don't like the idea of having a big preamp in the side of the guitar, when systems seem to become obsolete every few years.
   I'm not in a big hurry, (I can externally mount my M-1 into the Para for now,) but did want to start asking some questions.
   I play mostly fingerstyle, but also do quite a few band gigs where I'll be playing with a pick. My first priority is getting a natural, and truly acoustic guitar sound, and one that will pick up percussive body taps. But I will still need to be able to cut through a band fairly often, without feeding back. A lot to ask of a pickup system.
    I've used a K&K setup for years, and love its fidelity, but for louder volumes, I've heard that the Baggs I-Beam is a better choice and offers similar fidelity. Any thoughts?

I like the Baggs M-1 when properly setup and EQ'd. I think it's the most natural sounding magnetic. I've only tested the I-beam in stores, so I'm curious about people's opinions of that . Anwd as far as UST's go, (I usually don't like them, except to cut through a band,) I think that the Baggs Element is really good.

I like how minimally invasive the Baggs I-Mix is, but for solo fingerstyle gigs, I'd probably prefer an M-1/I-beam combination for the most "acoustic" tone. However, I'd guess from experience (I've used an M-1/K&K combination,) that this would probably be too "live" and perhaps not cut through a band.

Is there anyway to install an I-Mix system and be able to choose between the M-1 and the Element? So I could keep the M-1 in the case, and pick 2 out of the 3 pickups to use at a given concert? If I could do that, it'd be great, and very versatile as long as it wasn't too much work to make the switch, (sometimes I have a solo gig and a band gig on the same night.)
    And if this is possible, which M-1 should I use? I own a passive M-1, but would I need to get an Active, (I'd guess no, but you never know...)

2008 Larrivee LV-03R
Ibanez Prestige Artstar AS-193 Semi-hollow
1979 Benedetto/Tobias Oval-Hole Archtop
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Phil Jones AAD Cub-100
L.R. Baggs M1, Para and iBeam
K&K Pure and Ultra Pure and Pure XLR preamp
ADK Mics for recording, EV and Shure for gigs
And a bunch of other stuff I need to sort out...
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:11:21 AM »

There's always a solution, the impossible just takes a little longer  Not too sure of your exact requirement though  , and I can't speak for K&K because I don't know it, but take a look at http://www.shorelinemusic.com/amplification/baggs.shtml. Yes, you're right - I'm totally biased towards LR Baggs. I believe for your tapping requirement the I-Beam is the one.They have all the products to address your requirement. For the specific application, e-mail them. John is most helpful and has always answered my queries. Although I have no experience with remote-controls other than standard DI-boxes, they seem to cater in various ways with their Gig-pro Clip-on-belt and other similar products. Shoreline also carry the other brands and I'm sure they'll have a solution for you, they're very knowledgeable. 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »

Yes -- this is exactly what I did. You can install the iMix just like you would normally. Then you need to purchase a passive M-1 and get the attenuated cable. You can then use any combination of two (iBeam, Element, or M-1) that you plug into the mixer. I generally keep the iBeam and trade out the Element with the M-1 if feedback is an issue. The M-1 definitely gives more string attack sound than the Element.

I have the part number for the attenuated cable in my files. I'll look it up and post it later.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:56:02 PM »

Just took a peak in the file... no reciept kept. But, call LR Baggs customer service. I think the tech that told me about this was Bryan, but that may be wrong (long time ago). It is a similar set up to what Tom Petty and the Foo Fighters use. Petty uses the iBeam and M-1, the Foo Fighters use the Element and the M-1.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
richy3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »

I have an LV05E with an IMix system (IBeam and Element).  I love the IBeam.  The most natural sounding pickup I've heard.  I'm not crazy about under saddle transducers like the Element.  Too invasive for me IMHO but sounds good.  I like the IBeam so much that I just installed one in my Martin D28.  Also sounds great.  Definitely contact Baggs customer service.  They always write back within a day or two and I think mixing the IBeam with the M1 is most likely do-able because the literature that came with my IBeam says that a second pickup can be added.  They will explain the details.  Rich

2010 Martin 0015ML
2008 Martin D28L (w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity)
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus LH
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom LH
1981 Yamaha FG375SII (converted to LH)
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard LH
2004 Lucida Artista Classical
www.reverbnation.com/richlapierre
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: