Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Glory Of Love" - on my new OM-03RE  (Read 741 times)
Will Fly

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »

Just showing off the new OM-03RE on YouTube at:

The Glory Of Love

I've always loved Big Bill Broonzy's playing, and I've put my own twist on it in this piece - which, although using the Baggs pickup, I've recorded moderately "dry" to demonstrate the electro-acoustic quality of the guitar.

Cheers,

Will
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »

Great playing, Will. 
(And I admit to preferring this "moderately dry" acoustically pure sound to the more processed recordings.) Just my own biased opinion.
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »

Great playing, Will. 
(And I admit to preferring this "moderately dry" acoustically pure sound to the more processed recordings.) Just my own biased opinion.

Yes, so do I - "All Of Me' was really just demo-ing another side of the Baggs electrics. Incidentally, I was listening to your version of "Scarborough Fair" (v. nice) and wondered if you'd ever heard the Dransfield Brothers version of that song? It's on their classic album "The Rout Of TheBlues", and used more original and interesting versions of both tunes and words than the better-known P. Simon version (which he nicked from Martin Carthy). The Simon recording is a very airy-fairy, tinkling bells romantic take on the song - quite different from its original meaning. Take way the herbs (parsley. sage, etc.) and it's actually a bitter song about a guy who's saying that hell will freeze over before the Scarborough girl will ever be a love of his again!

'Scuse the rant and thread creep - and thanks for the kind words!

Cheers,

Will
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »

Very nice Will.  I like how you've cutomized it, making it your own in a way.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »

Yes, so do I - "All Of Me' was really just demo-ing another side of the Baggs electrics. Incidentally, I was listening to your version of "Scarborough Fair" (v. nice) and wondered if you'd ever heard the Dransfield Brothers version of that song? It's on their classic album "The Rout Of TheBlues", and used more original and interesting versions of both tunes and words than the better-known P. Simon version (which he nicked from Martin Carthy). The Simon recording is a very airy-fairy, tinkling bells romantic take on the song - quite different from its original meaning. Take way the herbs (parsley. sage, etc.) and it's actually a bitter song about a guy who's saying that hell will freeze over before the Scarborough girl will ever be a love of his again!

'Scuse the rant and thread creep - and thanks for the kind words!

Cheers,

Will
And thanks to you, Will. Have not heard  the Dransfield Brothers. My version is based upon an old John Renbourn arrangement. The tune dates back to the Middle Ages and that seaside community in Yorkshire founded by the Vikings a thousand years ago.
So I suppose we all nicked it from somebody.  bigrin
(Still, look for the RIAA to try and collect on it.) cop
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »

Great playing and you get a fine tone out of that guitar!  Big Bill is one of my heros and I like your spin on his tune...Thanks!

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »

Oh yes, that gets a 5 star and marked as a favorite -
I plan to teach that version to my Larrivee SD-50 so here is advance payment !

clap, clap, clap.....more ! ....more !

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: