Larrivee Customer Service - Declining?

Started by jwsamuel, September 26, 2008, 08:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just had a very poor experience with customer service at Larrivee. It was a total lack of interest in trying to help me solve a simple problem. Has anyone else noticed a decline? Larrivee's customer service used to be top notch. I found this experience to be very disappointing.

Jim

Not a major niggle, but a couple of my ebanoid tuners shattered. Larrivee said they'd send me a full set of chrome replacements (about 3 weeks ago), but they've yet to arrive. Ok, they're being shipped from US to UK, but 3 weeks? I'll give them a chase. I was also a more than a bit disappointed that they don't have the ebony ones in stock (which I think look and feel much nicer, even if they're not as robust). I'm probably just going to have to go out and buy some new ones (though ebony pegs are expensive!) ... but it irks me a bit that I'll be fitting the bill, no Larrivee. Still, I guess they can't be expected to carry spare parts for "old specs" if they're no longer using those components.

Not to end on a negative, in the past (2006), I had a duff Ping tuner (on the same guitar - there was a burr on the whole which kept breaking strings). Brian T sent out a replacement right away. I'd also mentioned that I was keen to get a clear pickguard (for my other Larrivee) and he sent one out with the tuner free of charge, even though I'd offered to pay. Can't argue with that for customer service!
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

Quote from: mrrinse on September 26, 2008, 08:39:45 AM
Not a major niggle, but a couple of my ebanoid tuners shattered. Larrivee said they'd send me a full set of chrome replacements (about 3 weeks ago), but they've yet to arrive. Ok, they're being shipped from US to UK, but 3 weeks? I'll give them a chase. I was also a more than a bit disappointed that they don't have the ebony ones in stock (which I think look and feel much nicer, even if they're not as robust). I'm probably just going to have to go out and buy some new ones (though ebony pegs are expensive!) ... but it irks me a bit that I'll be fitting the bill, no Larrivee. Still, I guess they can't be expected to carry spare parts for "old specs" if they're no longer using those components.

Not to end on a negative, in the past (2006), I had a duff Ping tuner (on the same guitar - there was a burr on the whole which kept breaking strings). Brian T sent out a replacement right away. I'd also mentioned that I was keen to get a clear pickguard (for my other Larrivee) and he sent one out with the tuner free of charge, even though I'd offered to pay. Can't argue with that for customer service!

I asked them about shipping from the US with regard to parts etc., and they passed me on to Sound Tech in the UK.  I understand they are working on customer support for the UK through them, due to the high level of demand for after sales support.  I guess it is their responsibility to look at this, but it logically follows after they recent step up in UK sales now Sound Tech are their UK distributers.

I would assume this may take time to set up, and might explain your delay, but can only be good in the long run for UK Larry owners.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Cheers Ben - I may have a word with Sound Tech and/or chase Larrivee.

Like I say, it's not a major issue and, whilst it is a decline vs my only other experience with Larrivee Cust Service from my perspective, I'd be hesistant to draw any wider inferences from this. Indeed, it looks as if things might get better for those of us in the UK. Larrivee certainly seems to be raising it's profile here (although they're still surpisingly unknown outside some limited circles).
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

Brian Trepanier leaves...and there goes the company... :roll
D-02E

I intentionally did not describe the problem because I did not want it to come across as a rant.

The problem is that I am trying to find a pickguard for one of my Larrivees. The pickguard on my guitar is different from anything they use now. I emailed Larrivee specifically asking if they could supply a pickguard. I got a quick response from them telling me I could order the pickguard I needed from the Larrivee Wearables site.

I had my doubts but was assured I would get the pickguard I needed, so I ordered. When the pickguard arrived, it was easy to see it was not the right one. I emailed again and at first, they insisted it was the right one.

I emailed them photos of my guitar and was told that one early OMV-50s, they had used a different type of pickguard on the early models, but mine was from 2007.  Finally, they said they did not have any more like mine and all they could do was to give me a Web site where I might be able to find one. I had to send two follow-up emails before they finally sent me the Web site for Luthier's Mercantile.

Twice I asked what I was supposed to do with the incorrect pickguard I wasted money on because of their insistence that it was the correct item. They just ignored both questions, even when they replied to those emails.

A couple of years ago, Larrivee customer service was first rate and they would go out of their way to help solve a customer's problems. Now, it seems they do the bare minimum. Granted this is not a major problem but it is still disappointing to me and makes me wonder how they would handle bigger problems..

Jim

Quote from: JohnM2001 on September 26, 2008, 09:59:01 AM
Brian Trepanier leaves...and there goes the company.

Now that you mention it, the guy I talked to did try to blame the problem on Brian T. leaving with little notice.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on September 26, 2008, 10:26:08 AM
Now that you mention it, the guy I talked to did try to blame the problem on Brian T. leaving with little notice.

Jim

Sometimes that can exactly be the case.  When a person leaves, a replacement has to be found and fully trained.  Until that happens, duties have to be shared and sometimes things will...and do..fall between the cracks.  I thnk it is wrong to suspect an entire customer service area is in decline because of one or two small glitches.  Add that to the fact that alot is going on at Larrivee...electrics, mandos etc, plus preparing for NAMM, and some small problems can occur. I believe that overall, folks are quite satisfied with Larrivee customer service. 

Quote from: Walkerman on September 26, 2008, 11:32:34 AM
I thnk it is wrong to suspect an entire customer service area is in decline because of one or two small glitches.

That's why I asked the question. If I am the only one who has had a problem, then it might be a glitch. If toher people here had similar problems, it might indicate a trend.

Jim

Quote from: Walkerman on September 26, 2008, 11:32:34 AM
Sometimes that can exactly be the case.  When a person leaves, a replacement has to be found and fully trained.  Until that happens, duties have to be shared and sometimes things will...and do..fall between the cracks.  I thnk it is wrong to suspect an entire customer service area is in decline because of one or two small glitches.  Add that to the fact that alot is going on at Larrivee...electrics, mandos etc, plus preparing for NAMM, and some small problems can occur. I believe that overall, folks are quite satisfied with Larrivee customer service. 
Please re-read what Walkerman has said. Pick up on the fact that RIGHT NOW there is a LOT going on at Larrivee. Including the customer service dept.
                 I do have something that needs to be addressed with the company also, but when I got an e-mail which said the person handling my issue would not be any longer and another person would, I responded with take your time, get up to speed and wrap yourself around the new position you are in. I can wait.
                I think the "push button, instant gratification age we are living in has lost something which we may never get back. Patience, courtesy and plain ole common sense.
                     "Walk a mile in my shoes" comes to mind.

Please re-read Walkermans post carefully. He makes a lot of sense to me and actually he helped me personally on the correct "principals" for dealing with these issues.
             Or not.         Thanks for your posts, all of them are respected by me, don't take what I have said as any kind of personal jab. It is not.  btw Larrivee has taken very good care of me "every time" I asked. Danny

Quote from: dependan on September 26, 2008, 01:50:26 PM
                I think the "push button, instant gratification age we are living in has lost something which we may never get back. Patience, courtesy and plain ole common sense.

If they had just told me they were busy, that would have been fine. I can understand that. But providing incorrect information and then blowing me off is not me wanting instant gratification.

Jim

Quote from: GA-ME on September 26, 2008, 04:47:17 PM
Larrivee is no longer a mom and pop operation.The company is growing, changing, and in some cases, not for the better.  Anyone ever wonder what the reason for Brain T's leaving was? Perhaps, the service integrity was with the employee, not the company, and the integrity left with him?

GA-ME if you continue to post this way you will become a characterization of yourself. A disgruntled person waiting for the opportunity to express his grievance.
                 I loved your thread about rebuilding the old blues acoustic Regal, what happened to that?
I just saw MOM and POP in California, Wendy and Jean are totally involved, giving it their all from what I saw. Some folks aren't satisfied until you givr them a full refund, fire somebody and post a full apology in the N.Y. Times. If that happened would you be happy then? I doubt it. If I had not ticked off duck so much a month ago he would be here in my place.(so now you all know)
                PLEASE give them a break already.... They are JUST HUMAN after all. Like the rest of us mortals :guitar
Danny

Quote from: jwsamuel on September 26, 2008, 03:30:32 PM
If they had just told me they were busy, that would have been fine. I can understand that. But providing incorrect information and then blowing me off is not me wanting instant gratification.

Jim
As I said jw, don't take it personal....it is not meant that way at all.  Danny

Once again I am puzzled by the emotional response to criticism of the company. It reminds me of the Beach Boys' song "Be True to Your School."
Again, I like Larrivee guitars. I've bought two of them--they're my only premium guitars. Given my budget and my ability, I was only supposed to keep one, but I liked the one I planned to sell so much I've kept it. I'm not a great player, but I'm a reasonable judge of what sounds good, and I rate Larrivee's least expensive offering with guitars costing more than three times as much.
I say this not to assert my fan-status, but to assert that I have had no problems with Larrivee. I'm a buyer not a seller, and I read this forum because I relate to the buyers here. Brian was on the job and answered my questions when I started considering a Larrivee. Seemed like a good guy. I have no idea why he  left  and don't consider it my business. If customer service deteriorates and I need customer service, that is my business. A forum like this is a good place to air opinions, positive and negative. We certainly see the positive all the time. We've all contributed to it because we enjoy the quality of instruments. If someone has a problem with customer service, I want to know it. The criticisms should be fair, and the company is free to respond, to deny and defend. And they're free not to as well. I enjoy reading about the company and its founding family and I certainly admire them. But admirable doesn't mean perfect. Larrivee has been chosen by those of us here, not ordained.

:cop: Alert: We have now reached Def-Con 4  :cop:

Everyone launched their nukes quick. Now you're all going to turn into mutants - hope you're happy lobster face.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on September 26, 2008, 09:52:19 PM
:cop: Alert: We have now reached Def-Con 4  :cop:

Everyone launched their nukes quick. Now you're all going to turn into mutants - hope you're happy lobster face.

Is there a Def-Con 5 ?

BTW, who is lobster face?

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: leftync on September 26, 2008, 09:07:45 PM
Once again I am puzzled by the emotional response to criticism of the company. ... I like Larrivee guitars. ....I rate Larrivee's least expensive offering with guitars costing more than three times as much.
.... I have had no problems with Larrivee. ... If customer service deteriorates and I need customer service, that is my business. A forum like this is a good place to air opinions, positive and negative. We certainly see the positive all the time. We've all contributed to it because we enjoy the quality of instruments. If someone has a problem with customer service, I want to know it. ...

I agree on all counts. We should all be free here to discuss any aspect of Larrivees, and not be at risk of rebuke simply because someone has had a bad experience. I rather confused and surprised to see another threaD popping up suggesting that anyone's impuning Jean's integrity here (and saddened by threats of knuckle sandwiches).

It seems to me that Jim has been perfectly reasonable in his criticisms. He's described his problems as a single incidence, not a trend - but has asked whether (not stated that) there is a trend. The current issues at Larrivee may be only one of a few minor slips - in which case, no big issue. But if it is indicative of a trend, I'd like to know about it. So far, I am the only other person that has chipped in to say they've had a problem (and there's now a risk that open debate has been stiffled: others with poor experiences may no longer contribute for fear of chastisement). Presumably all it would take is for Larrivee to say: sorry, we shipped you the wrong pickguard, here's a full refund. I would like to think the only reason that's not happened is because of overwork / admin error rather than a change in corporate attitude. This former seems feasable, given changes in personnel and in the company. But if there has been a raft of similar incidents, surely here is the place to discuss it, ad discuss it freely.

To a degree I am sympathetic that Larrivee is going through some changes right now. But I can also see why Jim is frustrated, especially as it wouldn't take much to resolve the issue. And I also guess my sympathy is also limited in that I've just worked an 18 hour day to provide what I hope is first class service to customers (though that's what they're explicitly paying for!). Customer service is one place where businesses really can distinguish themselves, and a positive or negative experience can have a massive emotion impact. I speak as someone who's had major, major problems (still considering taking the company to court for sums larger than the cost of all my guitars combined) and also really positive experiences - of which I would include buying my first Larrivee from Jason at Notable guitar.

As far as my experience goes, as I said it's not major problem for me. But a guitar with two missing tuning buttons is basically unplayable (well, untunable). If this were my only guitar, or only good guitar, I'd be frustrated - but then I would also have chased Larrivee harder than I have to get the issue resolved. And I also appreciate that having bought a guitar (albeit one with a lifetime guarantee) from across the pond (rather than from a UK dealer) that it may take longer to get issues resolved. I suspect if I contacted Jason at Notable, who sold me the guitar, that he'd see what he could do, but as it turns out I haven't as I'm in no rush to have the problem fixed. Until about a month ago, I'd contacted Larrivee a few times and I'd had no problems myself; and my current issue is so minor as not to be an issue at all (else I'd be e-mailing Larrivee rather than posting here!).So please don't take too many negatives from my story. But do chip in with your own - positive or negative. After all, surely open dialogue is what any forum - especially this one - is supposed to be about?

Quote from: Lawn Jockey on September 27, 2008, 06:02:11 AM
I'm as happy as a pig in a pen with them.  And here in Oklahoma, the pen is mightier than the pig.

Hey Lawn Jockey, whered'you get that emoticon? 
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: Lawn Jockey on September 27, 2008, 06:02:11 AM
I'm as happy as a pig in a pen with them.  And here in Oklahoma, the pen is mightier than the pig.

Heh, this is cool   EOTM (emoticon of the month)
   btw your "Prophetic" trainwreck pic on the parallel thread came true.