Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1000 Burst?!  (Read 3735 times)
norton

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2004, 06:27:07 PM »

Just joined and want to give the right impression - hate to start out on a negative.  I love Larrivees!  Even though I only own one right now, I will have more.  My guitar stable has been pretty fluid, although it seems to be firming up a bit as I get older and (hopefully) get clearer about what I want.  I've had several Larrivees in the past and was very pleased with each.

Soooo, what's with the pricing on sunbursts?  The 2004 pricing sheet I just picked up shows the new Mahogany Slope Dreadnought SD-50 at $2,749 retail.  The SD-50 TSB with a sunburst lists at $3,749!  (although the same model in rosewood shows a $400 upcharge?)

I don't know that anyone does a better sunburst than Gibson - they've certainly had a lot of practice.  The L-00 I bought new last year is a fine little guitar with a beautiful burst.  Total cost was just two hundred dollars more than Larrivee wants just for the sunburst!  Am I missing something?
philster

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 06:41:51 PM »

I couldn't justify the cost of the burst, but once again, you are paying for esthetics, not function.  My main complaint with the burst, and with some others out there is not the burst itself, but with a burst on a herringbone trimed guitar!  GADS!  It's all personal preference, but I can't abide by it!

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
mnewton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 06:56:43 PM »

You also have to remember that this is "retail" price.

You normally pay a substantial ammount off of the "retail" price.

Another thing to consider that it is a "Total" sunburst, which means front, back and sides have the sunburst finish.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 10:48:48 PM »

I see a Collings with only a sunburst top listing for $4200. A D28 with a sunburst top for $2900.00. Who knows what the Taylor sunbursts cost? For some strange reason they don't want to tell anyone. Anyway, I think you will find the Larrivée bursts priced pretty competitively. Compare quality not just prices. It's not a cheap process and some other makers maybe cover up not so nice wood with the burst.    
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 10:52:43 PM »

Who knows what the Taylor sunbursts cost? For some strange reason they don't want to tell anyone.
Taylor doesn't charge anything extra for their sunburst finishes.  

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 11:17:07 PM »

I agree, the price upgrade for the sunburst seems out of line.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
samarks

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 11:38:04 PM »

I don't think the Collings is a fair comparision, it is in another class.

Larrivee Koa Parlor
Collings OM-2H
Martin D-42 Custom
Fender 1954 RI Custom Strat
SongMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 11:55:08 PM »

Collings charge $1500 extra for total burst and $500 for only top. Larrivee $1000 for total burst and $400 for only top.

Standard Collings dred(D2H) MSRP $3300
Standard Larrivee dred(D-09) MSRP $2398

Though I would never pay extra to paint my guitar :D . I don't think cost that Larrivee upcharge for the burst is "out of line"
norton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 02:52:04 AM »

I have a Collings (no sunburst) with an incredible finish.  Too nice for me - if I could have bought the same sound in a rougher, cheaper version I would have gone that route.  If Larrivee's new sunburst is in Colling's league then $1000 certainly won't be out of line.  

I appreciate the input!  When I posted the question I didn't realize the rosewood version was sunburst top only.
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 11:16:55 AM »

The only problem I have with a sunburst, is that it keeps all of the beautiful wood from coming through. Why would you want to hide the wood? I could see hiding it if the wood looked yucky, but most of the woods look really spectacular. Let the natural wood shine (and save a few bucks)!!!

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 01:19:10 PM »

Who knows what the Taylor sunbursts cost? For some strange reason they don't want to tell anyone.
Taylor doesn't charge anything extra for their sunburst finishes.
Well if you believe that I have some beach property in Florida for you. The fact that they charge more for everything, mean anything to you?  :huh:
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »

I ordered my 814c with the tobacco sunburst (no extra charge) along with a Florentine cutaway, clear pickguard, ebony tuners and gloss ebony head stock.  A guitar that sounds as good as it looks . . . And you know what?  I got what I paid for.

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 06:16:03 PM »

814ce - Suggested retail price $4000.00
L09ve - SRP - $3,000.00.
Two similar guitars. Same woods. Larrivée has a dove tailed neck joint and a compensated bone saddle.  
Your sunburst top appears to cost a grand. At least at list price. So if both guitars are sold at a third less, vive le difference.  
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 06:52:27 PM »

The Horse:  New thread, still dead.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 07:09:42 PM »

Mr. Mrs. Ms. or Miss hcole - So sorry to waste your precious time. Your horse line is smelling deader than the deadest thread, however. Move forward yourself. You can do it.  :P
BTW - Can you tell us how one becomes "the humongous Dave Matthews Band?"
bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 07:13:04 PM »

814ce - Suggested retail price $4000.00
L09ve - SRP - $3,000.00.
Two similar guitars. Same woods. Larrivée has a dove tailed neck joint and a compensated bone saddle.  
Your sunburst top appears to cost a grand. At least at list price. So if both guitars are sold at a third less, vive le difference.
I would think that the LV-10e is more closely related to the Taylor 814ce (given the appointments).  That said, the list price is still $500 less.

I believe Larrivees offer a great guitar value.  I definitely think you can get a comparable guitar for less than a Taylor.  That doesn't mean you can say the sunburst cost $500 or $1,000 on the Taylor.  The pricing structures are entirely different.  

I do know that I would never pay $1,000 upcharge for a sunburst finish.  In fact, on my electric, I chose not to pay $500 for an upgraded top.  I wanted a quilted maple top, but for $500 less, I'm very happy with flamed maple.

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 07:19:05 PM »

The pricing structures are indeed different. One company charges a lot more for the same thing only not as good. Appointments the same? I'd argue that. Maybe the 914 and the 10. A few bucks worth of abalone doesn't hide the similarities.  
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 07:29:06 PM »

*** MOVED TO THE TAYLOR BASHING THREAD ***
 :lol:  

bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 07:35:11 PM »

*** MOVED TO THE TAYLOR BASHING THREAD ***

Ducktrapper, I think I've got it, that you don't like Taylors.  That's OK by me.  I love both my Taylor and my Larrivee.  :P  

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 07:45:44 PM »

Apples and oranges . . . construction, sound, feel . . . personal preference.

I like my L-05 quite a bit.  I like my Taylors too, and to me worth every penny.  Saying construction/structure cost more but not as good??  That, Mr. Duck, is not even close to the truth.

Loyalty to your Larrivées is one thing, but you certainly go quite a bit overboard . . .  <_<  

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355