Previous topic - Next topic

Count me among those who never "got":

The Beach Boys
Queen
Radiohead
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Quote from: bearsville0 on February 05, 2009, 06:57:37 AM
Yes, where would "god save the queen" be without a queen and the thoroughly obsolete system that keeps the monarchy alive.
But in 33 years, nothing has changed......
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

Lots of discussion on this post about Robert Johnson's influence on rock music. There's no denying that, but I've got to give props to the other Johnson -  Lonnie, that is. IMO, Lonnie Johnson never seemed to get his due acknowledgemt for his contribution, and has never been put on the same pedestal as some of the other blues giants. If you listen to his brilliant acoustic guitar solos, though, you can trace a direct lineage to clapton and a host of other rock musicians who emerged from the sixties. The template that Lonnie laid out in his guitar playing is very evident in hundreds of later blues/rock recordings. The man was a genious, but sadly seems overlooked as a major influence. Just my 2 cents.

Quote from: Stephen Basil on February 05, 2009, 09:14:44 AM
Count me among those who never "got":

The Beach Boys
Queen
Radiohead

I think you had to be a teenager in southern california to get the Beachboys.  They started surf music, and the surf scene had a huge impact on southern CA kids....white Levis, white socks, blue tennies, a white tee shirt and a Pendleton shirt on top of that.  Kids in my school were peroxiding their hair to try and look like surfers.  I think of it as a trial run or warm up for the beatles.  The Beachboys in junior high, and the Beatles in highschool, along with the British invasion. Ahhhh..those were the days.

Quote from: rockhound on February 05, 2009, 02:37:02 PM
But in 33 years, nothing has changed......

Yes, but at least, thanks to the Pistols, we know we're not crazy.
If it sounds good, it is good.

I'm probable too young to comment on the subject but,  I'm gonna agree with "stubby" even though Highway 61 came out oh..about 20 years before i was born, that was the most influential album for me. "The Man" is the one who got me interested in music......20 YEARS LATER so, i can just imagine the impact it had when it was new. "You tell 'em stubby" :thumb