What was the most influential rock album

Started by Walkerman, September 24, 2008, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Skyver on January 30, 2009, 03:26:03 PM
. There's the secret of bass playing: keep it simple and solid.
Yep you're gettin chained. you can play guitars as well.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Sorry, but I just have to chime in on this one. Top of my list would have to be:

REM - Murmur (technically the second album, but the first full play that more or less started it all)

Queen - A Night at the Opera

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on January 30, 2009, 06:17:23 PM

Queen - A Night at the Opera

Help!  No, not The Beatles' "Help!,"    I mean HELP!  I could never stand that cornball Queen stuff.  :bgrin:
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: wilblee on September 26, 2008, 07:39:45 AM
While Sgt Pepper's is the most influential album ever, it is, IMHO, because it is by the Beatles rather than because the album itself was so special.  Don't get me wrong, the album is transcendant, but so were a LOT of albums during that year.  In many ways 1967 was THE year in rock.  Here are some of the ground breakers that came out in 1967:

Beatles: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed (another and more coherent concept album)
Cream: Disreali Gears
The Doors: The Doors
Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow
The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?
Traffic: Mr. Fantasy

All, hugely influential albums.  And that's just some of the stuff that came out.  !968 and 1969 just poured gasoline on the fire. 

My top vote is Days of future Past.    And for me personally "To our Children's, children's, children" set something seeking in me that is still there to this day. I could never be content being a 9-5 cattle of humanity zombie.                             
                                Traveling eternity road...

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 30, 2009, 09:46:49 PM
Help!  No, not The Beatles' "Help!,"    I mean HELP!  I could never stand that cornball Queen stuff.  :bgrin:
You can at least appreciate it. Killer tone, incredible vocals, great musicians. What about "keep yourself alive" or anything else off the first album? Not much that could be construed as corn there, I don't think.

For me it comes down to two:

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys ( or the first solo Brian Wilson album)   :bowdown:
Amrerican Beauty - Grateful Dead

Yep..this great stuff shaped my musical profile. 

Yea Death On Two Leg was a real sweet cornball song. Or how about Tie Your Mother Down another classic cornball love song. Almost Partridge Family Like.   :humour: I'm sorry but Queen was one of the best of all time. You have to listen to more then Radio stuff to appreciate their tremendous talent

People forget that Mr. Johnson had such a major influence on musicians in the '60's, & those of them that are still around, still does. Alot of the '60's albums mentioned have guitarists that started with blues roots & then blossomed out into the new rock. Still remeber that there are many other delta blues players that also had a big influence. You see a blues player CD that you've never heard of, get it & check it out. There's always something different from these players that you might find gives you some ideas on your playing.
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Muddy Waters put it best. Blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll.

Quote from: gluve1 on February 01, 2009, 07:56:48 AM
Muddy Waters put it best. Blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll.
nice

Well, I see this thread has meandered all over the place.   Perhaps it has gone on too long.  I would like to give it one last shot at which album was most influiential ON SOCIETY......I'll stick with Meet the Beatles.
The Beatles squeezed the toothpaste outta the tube, and it's never been put back in....

I just like reading the post its awsome. My two cents Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon and Peter Frampton Frampton comes alive two huge albums.

Quote from: timmymac on February 03, 2009, 02:18:56 PM
I just like reading the post its awsome. My two cents Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon and Peter Frampton Frampton comes alive two huge albums.

By the time Floyd and Frampton come on the scene rock was well established. I'm inclined to think back to Elvis Presley but then he didn't really make "albums" as we came to think of them.

So my vote goes with Walkerman and "Meet the Beatles"

That's really a tough and intersting question.  I was 7 when Meet The Beatles came out.

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm on right. Anyway. I was quite into music and already starting my album collection. Siblings and parents were all into music. So I remember how huge they were, how different and exciting and the total craze. Everywhere you went there were posters, cards whatever. I obviously wasn't old enough to take in the whole impact on society as a whole though. There were so many things pushing on society at the same time. JFK's assasination, civil rights, nuclear scare. How do you sort it all out?
If someone wrote a book about Meet The Beatles impact I would read it.
Woodstock album probably had a pretty big effect. I'm thinking more out through the countries smaller cities and towns where the whole scene was just reaching. It's like the whole counter culture thing had reached about everyone by then and that represented
acceptance that this thing was for real and it was ok.  Just in time for it's death. 
Anyway, interesting. Does music ever really society as a whole much or is it the other way around?

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 30, 2009, 09:46:49 PM

Queen was MY band in high school! Crap, I just aged myself again!  :?

Quote from: flatlander on January 30, 2009, 10:32:02 PM
You can at least appreciate it. Killer tone, incredible vocals, great musicians. What about "keep yourself alive" or anything else off the first album? Not much that could be construed as corn there, I don't think.

Thanks Matt for your support. Yes, their group vocal harmony was JUST amazing. Fortunately for me, I got to see them live three times in my lifetime and that was long before that Crazy Little Thing Called Love crap hit the airwaves! Uggh.

Quote from: flatlander on February 04, 2009, 08:41:18 PM
Does music ever really [influence] society as a whole much or is it the other way around?

Very cute picture flatlander and a great question. We might ask what conditions made it possible for The Beatles to be so successful? And how many geniuses have been out there but the timing wasn't quite right. After all, I don't think The Beatles quite planned for all that success and were just as swept up in Beatlemania as the rest of us.

While in general not my cup of tea... I have to give Queen their due as performers and a band that undeniably had their moments, particularly with the rock anthems.

I gotta ask though... I have never been able to "get" why the Beach Boys have been made so much of. Basically repackagers of the Four Freshmen's approach to harmony, with some of the most insipid lyric writing I have ever heard. Many of my friends were huge fans of theirs and Brian in particular. I happened to be at his big comeback (on the road) concert. If anything I found him to seem pitiful, still do. But a major innovator of anything, hardly. 

Quote from: flatlander on February 04, 2009, 08:41:18 PM

Anyway, interesting. Does music ever really [influence] society as a whole much or is it the other way around?

Punk (in the UK) would be the obvious example to discuss that question over - I'm sure many a PhD thesis has been written on that topic!
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

Quote from: rockhound on February 05, 2009, 12:56:01 AM
Punk (in the UK) would be the obvious example to discuss that question over - I'm sure many a PhD thesis has been written on that topic!

Yes, where would "god save the queen" be without a queen and the thoroughly obsolete system that keeps the monarchy alive.