Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bose L1 / B1 + K&K mini = LOVE!  (Read 3759 times)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »

I've done three shows now with my new Bose L1 Model I with B1 sub. This thing is amazing. I got the ultimate complement last ngight. A member of the audience at Redfire Grille could not understand how my guitar could be heard all over the restaurant without being plugged in.  I said, "Well, I am plugged in. That's my PA." and pointed to the Model 1. He replied, "It sure sounds great."

At the first two shows, I was getting some serious bass thud with my K&K equipped guitars whenever my hand came anywhere near the bridge. I play nearly exclusively finger picking (thumb pick and bare fingers) and my palm spends a lot of time around the bridge. Sometimes I can get aggressive there. I posted the problem over on the Bose Musicians forum and was promptly informed about the two low-pass presets (Preset 80 = 50 hz high pass, preset 81 = 100 hz high pass). So last night I tried them out. 80 was OK, but still thumped more than natrual. 81 did the trick. Lush, rich, full woody tone, plenty of dreadnought boom (but controllable) from my Collings D1A, and great mid punch from my hand-built OM. I am absolutley thrilled with this system.  And I don't have to modify my playing style one bit.

And the vocal channel is the best I've ever heard. They have an EQ preset for the SM58, and it sounded flat out natural. I'm not the best singer in the world. One buddy asked if I've been taking singing lessons. Nope, the Bose just makes it easy to hear yourself and sing on key.

Can't wait to try it with my duo in June. I might even schedule a freebie somewhere to try it out first.

Thanks to the folks at Bose! I would have never thoght you could impove on the sound of my AER compact 60 for small gigs, but this L1/B1 is amazing. I did not realize how much I was missing some real bass.

Cheers,
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »

The few times I've heard that system used in small venues it's always sounded very natural.  Totally acoustic....just louder.   thanks for the report!
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »

How easy is your Bose sytem to use for someone who is tecnologically callanged? ( I do realise that I'm opening myself up for some abuse here. I can take it, but please give me some usage details here. )  I've heard the sysem twice so far and was very impressed.

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »

I recently saw Dan Stevens in a restaurant venue and he had the Bose system. It sounded great, very natural sounding and easy to hear over the background noise.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »

I'm getting something next week and it's been between bose l1 (and needed extras and this  http://www.bobbrozman.com/ra400.html  (Bob Brozman reso-acoustic 400)
I'm leaning towards the latter now because of some of the reviews of Bose and the price. Sounds like bose is great for solo
but if you need the punch it may not deliverer. Some say it does, some say it doesn't. Either glowing reviews or very negitive.
Too many negitives especially at volume, with feed back issues and delivering punch. I want to make sure that if in future if I get some more players and danceable punch needs to be delivered, it will be there. Also need at least 1 bass module. so that's 2 grand. Then no effects. Pretty universal that effects loop is noisy, so that means spending another 500.00 on bose tone unit. (just to get a little reverb on vocals)also unit is known to go "blue" in the middle of a song and you have to reboot. So we're up to 2500.00. Then the inputs are linited to only 2 xlrs. Not enought inputs for possible trio or quartet.
 The Bob Brozman meets all these needs. Have found source to get at 1750.00. Possible downside is may need monitors. But I won't need them right away and If I find I need them or other mains if playing at big place outdoors, I still have my JBL's and amps. Outputs to feed monitors and mains are available. It would probably be rare that I would need either however.
 Bose seems to stand behind product well and gives 45 days to return so that great, but I'm kinda turned off by companies
fixed price scheme. Absolutely no break no matter how much you buy. Dealers aren't allowed to. Wanna get what they call a dual system? Guess what. Exaclty twice what you'd pay for single system. No matter what system you buy there is no break from what units would cost individually.
 The Brozman is new so not much on it, but have talked to several people who played them and they said they sound incredible. If you google SR technoligies Jam 400, you'll get reviews from Europe on what is almost identical unit. I think the only thing different is the EQ ranges which Brozman designed to fit specific acoustic instrument issues. I'll probably get it and report back if I do. Still open to L1 comments as I haven't bought yet.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »

Here is an update on my use of the Bose L1 Model I with one B1 Sub.

I've been using it for about three months now. I had some problems, but determined it was simply a matter of setting levels correctly at each stage.  I've done a dozen or more shows, including two outdoors, and I am completely sold. This thing is just plain amazing.  And it has plenty of juice to carry me and my duo partner (on harmoncia, guitar, and vocals) as well.  The best part is that there is no mointor mix.  The Bose sits behind you and you hear your self better than any monitor mix I ever heard.  Sound check is as simple as setting two trim levels and turning up the master.   The house hears exactly what you hear. 

Another thing I can't say enough about is how good the Bose support is.  Every suppot person ia a user of the system, and if the person you get on the phone can't help, they will find someone who can. Immediately. Plus, the Bose Musicians forum is a great resource.

Here is a link to the thread on the Bose forum where I disucss the problems I was having and how they were resolved.
http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/778102955/m/4291035935
You may need to register to view the thread, but if you are considering a Bose L1 system, it is well worth doing.

I highly recommend the Bose L1 Model I with one B1 sub for acoustic guitar and vocals for one or two persons. 

David

www.davidberchtold.com
bayoubengal

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie from Santa Cruz, CA : ! David, thanks for your report on the Bose. I've heard mostly good things about it. Flatlander, I'd be really interested in hearing your experiences with the Brozman Reso Acoustic 400 if you get one.

On another note, I should be able to report on my acquisition of a Larrivee in the near future. I'm pretty fired up about it!   

1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2007 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
2006 Santa Cruz Guitar Company RS
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »

Welcome, bayoubengal!   Can't wait to hear about your new Larrivee. 

www.davidberchtold.com
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »

I'd be really interested in hearing your experiences with the Brozman Reso Acoustic 400 if you get one.

Yes I got it a couple of months ago. I can't compare sound with bose cause I've never heard one. I got it for the reasons I posted earlier. Much more flexible. Fully functional mixer with in and outs. Built in effects. Notch filter ect. 5 inputs can be mixed independently. 2 more could share with chan 4 and 5. 3 chans have xlr inputs with phantom power. All chans have 1/4 inch inputs. Plenty of bass and power even though it is pretty dang small. Have not needed monitors. I just set it to side of me. Enough gain on chan input to not need preamp for passive pickup. (although I put baggs in line sometimes for eq when playing with this band that plays too loud and I need it's notch as well as guit is about to vibrate out of my hands)
The one thing I'll say though is the eq's are very narrow, by design. They are meant for specific things. The low is to eliminate low feedback. The high to eliminate piezio tinnyness and the mids address certain particular needs. (different chans have different mid range of eq.) So no big shaping of overall sound. It's looking for a good instrument and it just helps with specific issues. So it's been great for me and very easy to move and no set up. The bozeman magic sound dispersion sounds great and perhaps I hope I never hear one! But this was cheaper, sounds great, looks great and has much more flexibility. Get it directly from brozman for better price. He also was very responsive and we've sent several e-mails back and forth and spoken as he was very interested in how it was working for me.

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »

I used the Bose system for a few gigs with a sort of faux Western Swing band I was in: acoustic bass, electric piano, female vocalist and me on lap steel/electric guitar.  No drums.  With that set-up, the Bose worked really well. 

I'd be interested in knowing how it works with a drummer added to the mix.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 11:59:33 PM »

'd be interested in knowing how it works with a drummer added to the mix.
Good point. Under normal circumstances, drummer wouldn't have the same volume dynamics.

bayoubengal

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:31:30 AM »

Hey Folks--

David, thanks for the welcome! I should be getting my Pete Anderson in about a week. I'll report back then. Flatlander, thanks for the feedback on the Reso Acoustic 400. It sounds pretty cool. I wish it had 4 XLR inputs (for two mics and two PADIs), but I could work around it and use one 1/4". Have you found that you get good enough dispersion to have it on the floor? I was wondering about the need for height since the Bose is pretty tall.

Thanks!

1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »

Have you found that you get good enough dispersion to have it on the floor? I was wondering about the need for height since the Bose is pretty tall.

Thanks!
If I'm using it by itself then it just comes naturally to me to get it up a little. I'm not sure it needs to be. But I also lift it so the mixeris right at arm level so I can reach over and tweak easily.  I also play once a week at a place where the owner is a musician and has a ton of PA equipment set up. In that case I have it on floor behind me and use line out into PA. That's the situation I was talking about where everything gets too loud (the guy is an excellant musician and appreciates and plays acoustic stuff but has primarily been a rocker) and I need DI box to further reduce feedback. I've played a couple solo gigs at the same place using only my box, and it filled the place plenty with main volume on about 3 1/2! Anyway yea I get it up a little like I would any speaker in similar situation. I've got this antque looking little fold out stand that works great and looks great with the "amp" which of course is in a beautiful wood box.
Here's link to users manual if you are interested which will tell you more about it.
http://www.bobbrozman.com/ra400usermanual.pdf

bayoubengal

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »

Thanks, flatlander! I'll check out the manual. I've got a nice paying wedding reception gig in two weeks. If I could string together a few more, I could justify (to myself) buying either "The Bose" or "The Broz"!   

1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:11:19 AM »

I have the Bose system and I have used it in solo/small combo acoustic gigs, as well as my backline amp in full electric band situations.  We also have two of them as front of house speakers (along with Apogee speakers pushed by a QSC amp and a Mackie powered sub) in our small (300 seat) church auditorium.  In all cases they are used with two of the B1 units.  I have the Model 1 while at church we use the Model 2.

For the most part I don't like Bose.  Don't like their headphones, don't like their home audio gear, don't like...

I looooooove the Bose L1/B1(x2) setup.  It's easy to use, very versatile and sounds better than anything I've heard at or below it's price point.  I play through a Line 6 Pod X3 and the Bose can handle whatever sound I have the Pod emulate.  Just a fabulous piece of gear.  Yes, it's pricey.  Yes, it's worth it - every penny.

An interesting side note.  We recently had our church auditorium analyzed for acoustic treatment.  When the engineer checked the Apogees he showed us the valleys and peaks in the spectral graph and worked on an appropriate EQ setting for them.  When he analyzed the Bose, they were ruler flat.  He was amazed.  Our sound guy was amazed.  I (who had recommended them) was unforgivably smug.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Interesting side note: I went to a Taylor Guitar Road show. They used a Bose with one sub - but only for the guy speaking. It sounded good and filled the small auditorium. If I could afford it - or was gigging more, I'd go with it.

Interestingly, they plugged the guitars into a Fishman amp. It also sounded good (here's my smugness - I own one), but I found it strange that they have done so much publicity about matching up their ES pickup systems with the Bose, and then use a Fishman amp for their show. Strange.

patrickgm60

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »

I've played at an open mic that uses the Bose B1, with no bass unit. My K&K-equipped Larrivee and 2 vocals. I did use the K&K preamp and had the sound guy fiddle with the eq a bit, but I (and others) found the sound to be very clear and consistent throughout the (noisy espresso machines!) coffee shop.

In glancing at the "Bronz," it seems that the 2-elevated-speaker spread that's so desirable for vocals and stereo input would be lost, no?

Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando
bayoubengal

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 03:18:20 AM »

patrickgm60---

I recently bought the Bob Brozman Reso Acoustic 400 after email communications with Bob and a very informational conversation with flatlander. I also was concerned about losing the traditional "2 elevated speaker spread", but have found that it has not been an issue at all. The RA 400 easily fills up a 250 (or slightly more) indoor seater when I get it 3 to 4 feet up.

If I need more dispersion for an outdoor show (like some of my winery gigs), I can use the AUX out to my little Powered Hotspot as a monitor and then daisy chain it to my Yorkville NX 350 speaker on a stick and I'll be just fine. The most important factor is the rich warm sound from the RA for both vocals and guitar.

It's not for everyone but it fits my needs with less trips to and from the car (I'm almost 54 now!).   

1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: