Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Open Mic Venues  (Read 1403 times)
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:34:45 AM »

The two best open mic venues in my area are Roaring Brook Nature Center in Canton, CT and The Towne Crier in Pawling, NY.  Roaring Brook is small holding maybe 75 people, and runs once a month fall through spring: The Towne Crier is a supper Club that has open mic every wednesday night.  Both have excellent sound systems, pesonnel, structure (two songs or 10 minute limit) and LISTENING, not gabbing or drinking or... is the focus.

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
acoustic6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »

I'm still trying to work up the guts to play my first open mic here in the Seattle area.  There are plenty to choose from.  Just gotta go for it I guess.

1986 Larrivee L-05
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 05:26:23 AM »

Pawling is a great town/area - loved the time I spent there.

Here on Denman Island, BC there is a Guesthouse/Bistro that has an open mic every Friday evening.  Its turned into a picking circle and it's a great way to unwind at the end of the week.  Still haven't sung, but I've been playing every week with some really talented players. 

Get out and play - your playing skills will evolve so much quicker than just playing in your comfort zone.  Plus you get to meet some great people.

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
christopherbranch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »

the best around my neck of the woods is the AcousticSeen at Coffee Underground in Greenville, SC. very small theatre, 15 minute sets, all original stuff. used to play there often, but can't make it as much now b/c of my schedule. hope that changes soon, i miss it...

"All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.But the dreamer of the day are dangerous people. For they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

Does anyone have any open mic suggestions for the Toronto area? I'm thinking about cutting my teeth next year. Maybe I'll try it earlier if I take trip down to the crossroads and make a Faustian sort of deal. 

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:22:16 PM »

In the upstate NY / Saratoga area, Caffe Lena is the place to go on Thursday nights for acoustic open mic.  It's usually busy, and pretty hard to predict what you'll hear.

Caffe Lena has been around since the 60's and seen it all... Dylan, Arlo Guthrie.  So you never know if you might be looking at the next big thing in folk music (where, as people have joked, there are literally hundreds of dollars to be made... hmm, maybe this IS the big thing in folk music...).

The regular weekends shows get some great people as well.  Pierre Bensusan will be there next month, and I've been blown away by the Boulder Acoustic Society, Chris Smither, Roy Book Binder and others.  But that stuff's not open mic...

Dave

jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »

Does anyone have any open mic suggestions for the Toronto area?

Here's a link to the Toronto Fingerstyle Guitar Association.  Find the link to Randy Finney on the right side of the page.  You can become a member for $20.00 per year, and Randy does a great job of arranging monthly open mics at Chalkers Pub (and other venues). 

He is also active in bringing musicians like Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, and Steve Howe to the city for some intimate shows and workshops.  An added bonus is that your membership gives you a significant discount at one of the local music stores (strings anyone?), not to mention an introduction to many fine players in the Toronto area who share your passion...

jimmy

kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »

The best local Pittsburgh venue that I've come across is Empire Music in the Mount Lebanon section. It's only held once a month but being that it's in a music store the setup is pretty good. The organizer doesn't work for the store, but he's a stand-up guy who will put your name in if you make it in late. He also brings along a camera and posts videos of Youtube (after getting signed permission.)

There's also a bi-monthly open mic at a nearby coffee house that's a little later and the setting is more intimate.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Wally Gator

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »

Try www.openmikes.org it gives the locations of open mikes in most every state in the nation and even some in Canada.

Wally Gator

Martin D1
Larrivee LV09E
Larrivee P09
Breedlove AC25/SM
Early 1890's Washburn Parlor
Baby Taylor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: