Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Acoustic Amp should I buy? Or should I buy a P.A. ?  (Read 3155 times)
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »

Fishman Matrix in= Very happy.

I'll post my opinions soon. Got a gig coming up on the 19/12/08 so I'll give it the baptism of fire before I post my findings!
Stay tuned folks.......

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson CS ES-339 incoming....

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »

Matrix out- iBeam back in. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha wacko

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »

That kinda sums it up quite quickly!
I think Santa's bringin a K&K for xmas to go in Gallagher. I'm anxious for that. So I'll have different kind in each guitar. Old fishman under saddle in L-10. It's hard to make feedback and sounds great.  Need it for playing with other electrics. Acoustic feather in 000-60. Sounds great and natural, can feed back when too loud,  and soon K&K.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »

That kinda sums it up quite quickly!
I think Santa's bringin a K&K for xmas to go in Gallagher. I'm anxious for that. So I'll have different kind in each guitar. Old fishman under saddle in L-10. It's hard to make feedback and sounds great.  Need it for playing with other electrics. Acoustic feather in 000-60. Sounds great and natural, can feed back when too loud,  and soon K&K.

Sounds like you've got the whole range! Originally swapped out the iBeam because of feedback issues, and it was a little boomy in some places, but theres no denying its a great sounding pickup when its dialed in. Im now shopping for an L.R. Baggs Para DI to address those problems.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »

I dont perform (not like I can), but I am generally happy with my Rivera Sedona.  It is sort of the ultimate compromise, especially if you can find one used, they can be a bit pricy new.

The sedona will do acoustic and electric, has a built in tweeter, is an all tube amp.  Will do clean electric, and unless you go too dirty (i.e. metal distortion), does a real good blues "american" overdriven sound too. Highly recommended.  Oh I also think it has the best reverb unit in the business.

Also, it's a compact package.  You can get the optional Taylor ES output (I know boooo)... I think, but be warned that it weights like a brick, which probably means that it's very well built.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

Sounds like you've got the whole range! Originally swapped out the iBeam because of feedback issues, and it was a little boomy in some places, but theres no denying its a great sounding pickup when its dialed in. Im now shopping for an L.R. Baggs Para DI to address those problems.

Cheers, Scott.

The Para DI definitely helps feedback issues with the low EQ and more so the Notch which can zero in on trouble spot,
BUT it not a total miracle worker.  As much as I tried to avoid, a feedback buster in sound hole may be required. Those help a lot.
OR playing at a lower volume which is what I would usually want to do but isn't always possible or not worth raising cane with other players about!

Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »

The Para DI definitely helps feedback issues with the low EQ and more so the Notch which can zero in on trouble spot,
BUT it not a total miracle worker.  As much as I tried to avoid, a feedback buster in sound hole may be required. Those help a lot.
OR playing at a lower volume which is what I would usually want to do but isn't always possible or not worth raising cane with other players about!

Scott, the para DI is certainly a great choice and a good match for your I-Beam. Flatlander is correct in that EQ and notch can only do so much, and at the expense of tone if you get too carried away tweaking. A couple placement tricks could help if you are out front of the speaker try placing it behind and off to the left (elevated a bit if you can). If you are in a enclsed smallish area the sound may be bouncing around back at you, no hope there other than a feedback buster. Btw, they do not affect the amplified sound/tone at all, easy to pop in or out, they do work. You can get the rubber plug type just about anywhere, make your own, or do one of the deco ones too. I had a couple made for my guitars and really like the looks (others don't care for them at all, such are choices). http://www.lutehole.com/testimonials.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 12:26:12 AM »

Yes, Speaker placement. Mains off to side, if using monitors they don't have to point directly at you, or guitar. putting them at an angle can do two things. ! It doesn't blast the top on your guitar as much, which could cause feedback and 2. If you have a flat wall behind you and you have them at an angle, the echo's path off the wall won't be straight back into you mic.

danerada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »

I know this one isn't popular, but I like the Kustom Sienna 65. It has a nice true sound and has onboard effects as well as a footswitch. The price is very reasonable. I put a Fishman Infinity in both of my Larris and the sound is excellent. It takes some time to dial it in, but after that it is just plug and go. I cannot get it to feedback, so that makes it great right there. However, back to the amp...I find the Kustom Sienna to be a really good acoustic amp.

Forum II # 8 of 10
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 03:56:59 AM »

I know this one isn't popular, but I like the Kustom Sienna 65. It has a nice true sound and has onboard effects as well as a footswitch. The price is very reasonable. I put a Fishman Infinity in both of my Larris and the sound is excellent. It takes some time to dial it in, but after that it is just plug and go. I cannot get it to feedback, so that makes it great right there. However, back to the amp...I find the Kustom Sienna to be a really good acoustic amp.

Hey there danerada, funny reading your post just now, as I was in a shop the other day and noticed the Kustom range of acoustic amps. I was also very impressed with the tone, so much so that I bought the 30 watt version for rehearsal and a portable jam machine on a whim! Im going to take it to the next gig and either mic it or run a line out to the P.A.

And Im taking a feedback buster, just in case...........Thanks Flatlander and michaelT, I always look forward to advice from you guys! Still kinda feeling my way with this live sound stuff.......Fun aint it??????

Happy New Year to All.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.

LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 04:06:13 AM »

Schertler David - hifi sound, small portable package, powerful, and plenty of tone control.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: