Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Acoustic Amp should I buy? Or should I buy a P.A. ?  (Read 3036 times)
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:24:37 PM »

Looking for an Acoustic Guitar Amp, will be primarily used to Jam with a Drummer and Bass player( not that loud) , and the occasional Coffee shop gig or small venue open mike. It also must be powerful enough to sing through with the Jam band.  Ive considered the Roland AC-60, Genz Benz Shen 60, Marshall AS-50R and the Roland A1. Ive also had one guy recommend that I just buy a Small P.A for the jam band and just go through the house P.A at gigs.
What do you guys think?

Cheers, scott

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »

PA for the clarity, clean reproduction, and tonal quality (check the bass response numbers though). Amps are more portable (in some ways), and varied in feature characteristics i.e. effects, eq's, etc.

Many prefer to play through the house PA and use their amp as a monitor when possible, or mic the guitar if given a choice (especially when recording). In todays market there are excellent values available in powered PA speakers a few at reasonable prices too.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LM12A

http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/thump15a/index.html

then there are the Mackie's 450 and JBL's eon 15's but you start getting into bucks there too. The Tapco and Carvin have comparable specs but are kind of the exception in their price bracket.

[attachment deleted by admin]

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »

To several questions to go over in your head if deciding between PA or Amp, is how many channels do you need/want including looking down the road. AND how much are you looking to spend. There's quite a few acoustic amps out there with built in effects and xlr input on 1 chan for vocals. If that's all you need and you're playing small places, that may be fine and you MAY get better guitar sound
especially if you don't have preamp or some kind of DI box.  Have some way to get amp off floor and up at least some.
 Unfortunately I found that there's very few if any, that have even a way to get 3 inputs into it. Drum's and Bass don't generally need PA in small place so if that's all your crystal ball see's in future, that's an option.
  PA could be clearer and if you get the speakers up and seperated, will give bigger sound. More likely to need a good preamp or something before going into channel. Allows for future growth of group.
 Also how much stuff are you ok with hauling around and how much space do venues have. I'm also curious about how many of the places where you live have house PA"s? Some folks act like that's a given. Around here most places, even that have music a lot, count on band having everything. So I'd go over those questions and decide PA or Amp. then narrow down which PA or which amp.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Ponte

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »

Check this one up
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=22937.0

"Guitars can seriously damage your health"

1977 American Fender Strat
2005 Larrivée L-05
2004 Amalio Burguet 3F flamenco spanish guitar
Many various other guitars gone,  ...hopefully to a good home.

http://guit-ar.com. Guitar drawings and artwork by Juan Ponte
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »

Check this one up
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=22937.0
/quote]

Great!
Cheers, Scott

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »

To several questions to go over in your head if deciding between PA or Amp, is how many channels do you need/want including looking down the road. AND how much are you looking to spend. There's quite a few acoustic amps out there with built in effects and xlr input on 1 chan for vocals. If that's all you need and you're playing small places, that may be fine and you MAY get better guitar sound
especially if you don't have preamp or some kind of DI box.  Have some way to get amp off floor and up at least some.
 Unfortunately I found that there's very few if any, that have even a way to get 3 inputs into it. Drum's and Bass don't generally need PA in small place so if that's all your crystal ball see's in future, that's an option.
  PA could be clearer and if you get the speakers up and seperated, will give bigger sound. More likely to need a good preamp or something before going into channel. Allows for future growth of group.
 Also how much stuff are you ok with hauling around and how much space do venues have. I'm also curious about how many of the places where you live have house PA"s? Some folks act like that's a given. Around here most places, even that have music a lot, count on band having everything. So I'd go over those questions and decide PA or Amp. then narrow down which PA or which amp.

Thanks for the info flatlander, this is the kind of info I wanted. Im actually pretty new to the Gigging scene, having only played a few open mikes, and am considering upping my Musical efforts. I am one of those who thought house P.A.s were a given, must do a bit more homework on that one. I seriously doubt i will need a large set up for bigger venues, or running more instruments into a P.A.  My main concern was that the Acoustic amps have enough power for me to sing and play through in smaller venues (Small Bars).

Michael T,
Ive heard of using Powered Speakers before, which may be an option, although they dont have Reverb, so Im guessing I'll need outboard equipment for this? To tell you the truth, If I buy an acoustic amp, most of the on board effects, DSP etc wont get used. I like it pure and simple.

I actually played through a Roland AC-90 today and was very impressed, great rich, detailed sound.
Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »

Scott, PM sent

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »

I,ve heard that the L.R. Baggs  are very nice. has any one out there had any experience with there amp
rbpicker

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »

I've done the acoustic amp thiing Fender, UltraSound, Roland), but now have a powered speaker coupled to an 8-channel mixer with effects.  It has all the features, portability, flexibility, and volume I'll need.  Great solution.

RB
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 01:49:23 AM »

I, and now another happy forumite, have the all in one box fro Bob Brozman. A small package with mixer on top that has every in and out you could want, effects, plenty of power and nice speaker combo in one cool looking natural wood box.
http://www.bobbrozman.com/ra400.html

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
bayoubengal

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 03:32:20 AM »

Yeah, what flatlander said! 

I am the other happy forumite that has the Brozman Reso Acoustic 400. It ain't cheap, but the sound is warm and rich (richer than a small PA rig IMHO) and it still is a lot cheaper than the Bose. I have been very happy with both the sound for vocals and acoustic guitars. I now don't need a powered mixer (am selling it). I still have a little Powered Hotspot that I can use for a monitor if necessary and also can daisy chain one of my Yorkville speakers if I need more dispersion, but I think that will be rare.

I know that everyone's needs are different though.       

1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2007 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
2006 Santa Cruz Guitar Company RS
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »

I've done the acoustic amp thiing Fender, UltraSound, Roland), but now have a powered speaker coupled to an 8-channel mixer with effects.  It has all the features, portability, flexibility, and volume I'll need.  Great solution.

RB

Hi there RB, Michael T PM'ed me with similar advice, I think thats the way I'll go too.
Thanks for the info guys!
Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

jambrose

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 02:01:03 AM »

One thought, might be a little out there is going with Fender, either acoustic models, or something like a cyber twin SE if you want to use it in varying venues. Get a lot of bang for your buck. I have the Blues Jr, and mike that is a house PA. Plugging into a house PA is sometimes not the best sound...Mike an amp, use a line out into a powered monitor for your playing.

Joe
D-03
L-03
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:55:29 AM »

Took michael T and rbpickers advice and headed out today to a few local shops with my OM-03R and a little 8 Channel Behringer mixer. Ran these 2 into a Wharfedale Titan 12A powered speaker and was quiet frankly blown away ! What a great sound. Rich, detailed, no distortion and a great reproduction of my OM-03R's tone. After trying out many acoustic amps I would now have no trouble pointing anyone in this direction, It also bought out the best of my iBeam, which up till now I wasn't completely sold on.
Now I've just gotta scrape up the cash. Sorry kids, its going to be a lean Christmas this year......

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

GChang

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 12:03:11 AM »

Just wanted to offer one more choice, (I know, I know...) but the Phil Jones, AAD-100 "Cub" amp is absolutely fantastic. It's a 100 watt amp about the size of a boot box with two NeoDy 5" speakers. It only has one channel, (I've heard a two channel model is coming out soon,) 3 band EQ, and DI out, but it only weighs 12 pounds.
But it has a very even tonal balance, and a surprisingly strong bass and volume for something of its size.

Aside from it's great portability, it's one of the most transparent, cleanest and clearest sounding rigs I've ever heard. It's much closer in sound to something like a Bose L1 setup than a Fender or SWR acoustic amp.

Phil Jones made a name for himself in hi-fi gear that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, but the Cub 100 is about $500.

I live and play for a living in NYC, and so something highly portable is essential, but I picked this amp out for tone and build quality. I actually originally purchased it for use with my archtop for jazz gigs, but it sounded so much better than any acoustic rig i've heard, so i get double duty. I have a little 4 channel mixer that I plug into it for
some gigs, but usually i use it as a monitor and run it through the PA.

A powered speaker might be more versatile for you, but the Phil Jones stuff is well worth checking out.

2008 Larrivee LV-03R
Ibanez Prestige Artstar AS-193 Semi-hollow
1979 Benedetto/Tobias Oval-Hole Archtop
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Phil Jones AAD Cub-100
L.R. Baggs M1, Para and iBeam
K&K Pure and Ultra Pure and Pure XLR preamp
ADK Mics for recording, EV and Shure for gigs
And a bunch of other stuff I need to sort out...
bobbyg67

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 03:28:42 AM »

this thing's getting a lot of buzz recently and might be something to check out.
http://www.music123.com/Fishman-SoloAmp-PRO-AMP-SL1-Amplification-System-483301-i1401135.Music123
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »

Thanks for the input Guys, ended up buying a Behringer Euro 8 Channel mixer and a Behringer BA212A 400w active 12" speaker. Although I originally intended to go more upmarket, the Behringer sounded great to my ears, also it leaves a little change in my pocket to go towards the 000-50 I've been chasing for a while.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:19 AM »

Thanks Scott for posting this... and all who contributed.

Now I'm curious about the Brozman box.  blush

The reading material is quite educational.  ricky
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:58 AM »

Thanks Scott for posting this... and all who contributed.

The reading material is quite educational.  ricky

No worries Ricky, my next quandary is my pickup choice, Ive had an iBeam in, just changed it out for a fishman Rare Earth which I'm not sold on, and Ive just bought a Fishman Matrix on line which will be going in as soon as it arrives. I'll post my findings in a new thread once Ive worked out what each pickup has to offer. Should be interesting! (And will no doubt draw out some interesting facts and opinions from our fellow members).

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 05:43:20 AM »

Scott... check out my new thread - "Closest pickup to ES?" - not much there though - guess I'm asking the wrong question in this Forum? ... having just come from TayLa land.

Now that I'm waiting for my first Larri... I heard a lot about the K&K pure western mini and am thinking of having it installed.

I look forward to your new thread..... on pickups. BTW, now I like the "no cut" pickups.

Learning is fun!  ricky
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: