Need a 3/16" Truss Rod Wrench!

Started by Pickax, August 26, 2008, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just bought a D-03. I wanted to tweak the trussrod and take a little bow out of the neck only to discover you need a special Wrench to do the job. I've been playing Acoustic Guitars for 33 years and this is the first time I've seen this location for a Truss Rod Nut.

From the Larrivee Website, it looks like I need the Black 3/16" Wrench. I went to a Larrivee Dealer this afternoon and they only had the Silver wrench for the newer models. I called Larrivee today and was told the Guitar is a 97 and they did not have a Truss Rod Wrench for this Guitar in stock  :?

So, if you have an older, Black 3/16" Wrench, I would love to hear from you. Any suggestions would also be appreciated if I cannot locate a Wrench.

Thanks!

I have a wrench for my 93 L-10 and it is close to the same as the newer ones.  The head (hex) is the same.  However, the one I have does not make a box or L shape in the wrenches shape.  It is curved instead like a semi circle.  I am not sure exactly which one you have, but if it is like so many other truss rod wrenches out there you should be able to find it at a hardware store.  Good luck!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

The folks a Larrivee told me I need the Black, 3/16" Wrench. The Silver one I saw today at the shop had multiple bends that would allow for it to fit around the top brace and access the adjusting nut. Perhaps a very long L shaped hex wrench would work? I've not seen what the Black Wrench looks like.

Sounds kind of like the Martin wrench (sort of).  It is black and has a head on both ends, shaped like an L.  One end is for newer Martins and one end is for older Martins. Its just that one end is loger than the other. If someone has one of those it's worth a try.  Guitar makers find difficult places to put a truss rod bolt/screw head.  There are lots of folks who should not be doing it themselves.  My Santa Cuz's must have a ratchet, extension and 3/8in head on it to even get to the bolt.  Yes, a bolt...not an allen wrench head.  You can find something.  I have used non standard wrenches on plenty of guitars.  You'll find one that fits.  Maybe your local shop has one to fit it (and they may not even know it!!)
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

The one I saw in the shop today looked like this. It had a curve  on the wrench so it coud fit up under the top brace. Pardon the crude drawing  :laughin:    It must have been at least 8" long.

I have a whole lot of truss rod wrenches. Only I call them "Allen wrenches" I use them all the time on various gits including Larris. You would need to remove or loosen the strings a lot. Reach in past that large cross brace and fit a short handled 3/16 into the socket end. I also had an allen wrench with 2 allens shaped like a S only straight in the vertical line (make sense) Anyway that one worked better than the Larri factory wrench. I kept it in the case of my D-09.

That's great information. I would usually refer to the wrench as an Allen as that is what I use on my other Guitars. Slacking the strings may not be the ideal way to make a truss rod adjustment but in this case, it's may be the only way to do the job. Thanks again!

Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

That's exactly what I need! First time I've seen the old style wrench. Unfortunately, when I called Larrivee yesterday, I was told they no longer have these in stock and he didn't know if there were going to receive more.  :? The rep asked me to call back in a week  and hopefully he can locate one. Hard to believe they are not going to receive more of these wrenches when there has to be a lot of Guitars out there that need this particular wrench.

In the meanwhile, I  shortened a 3/16" Allen wrench and was able to get it up in there to turn the nut. Just needed to go a smidge to take some bow out of the neck. Right now, it's just where I want it and it plays much better. 5/64" on the Bass string at the 12th fret and 4/64" on the high E at the 12th.

I'd still like to get my hands on this Larrivee wrench. Thanks for the suggestions! Nice place you have here  :thumb

There ya go, sometimes ya gotta do what it takes.   :thumbsup

Pickax. the link I posted is for Larriveewearbles.com out of Adairsville GA. Not the  Lavarriee guitar company. In your post I assumed you ment you called Larrivee, and I know they use to carry them, but I think they are selling most of there parts through the other source. And I'm glad to hear you are resourcefull, done, and playing.
Flathead
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

Thanks for pointing that out. When I first saw the link I thought it was the Larrivee site. I called a number of times today and left a message but have had no luck contacting them. I'd like to know they have the wrenches in stock before I  run a card through the site. Might get a pickguard too!

You might send a PM to Unclrob. He had some older style truss rods at one time. He might be able to come up with one for you.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

I ordered a wrench from the Larrivee wearables site. Also ordered a Pickguard and a Bone Saddle. All items were in stock as I called first before ordering.   My customized Allen wrench did the job but it will be nice to have the proper tool. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Great community here  :thumb

OK, got this in the mail the other day and I thought I'd post a picture to give you an idea of what the Larrivee Truss Rod Wrench looks like. It works exactly like it is supposed to and is much easier to use than my modified Allen Wrench. Very glad Larrivee Wearables had these in stock.

Put on the new stock Pickguard as the old square clear one was lifting in a corner.  Also put in a Bone Saddle, strung it up with D'Addairo Phosphor Bronze Mediums and this D-03 really sings!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: Pickax on September 04, 2008, 09:54:47 PM
OK, got this in the mail the other day and I thought I'd post a picture to give you an idea of what the Larrivee Truss Rod Wrench looks like. It works exactly like it is supposed to and is much easier to use than my modified Allen Wrench. Very glad Larrivee Wearables had these in stock.

Put on the new stock Pickguard as the old square clear one was lifting in a corner.  Also put in a Bone Saddle, strung it up with D'Addairo Phosphor Bronze Mediums and this D-03 really sings!!

Thanks for the pick of the wrench.   But, how about the git! Let's see it with the new PG.     Thanks,   Danny