Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I toured Collings AGAIN yesterday  (Read 6705 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:11:12 AM »

Collings is located fairly close to me and I have wanted to see their facility, so I took the tour today.
       I have to say it was impressive, very small and definitley a feel of "we like what we are making and we are doing it the way it should be done" Lot's of attention to very fine details. The sanding was meticulous. Very sharp corners on pegheads and minute detail sanding,buffing,polishing in the crevices on the back of the neck etc.
                   My overall impression was if you want a Gibson or Martin done right. Buy a Collings. You won't need to dig and search till you find the 'right one". They will get the one you order right. But if you order now you may not see it for a year or more. They are backed up with orders.    I'll put up some pics soon. And I am going back again for some closer examination soon.       Danny

On the 2cnd page of posts are pics of "Walkermans" custom Mandolin, still being built.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:34:41 AM »

Sounds cool. I've played a lot of guitars but never a Collings. I've just haven't run across any in Nashville. I hear mixed reviews about them; some think they're the cat's pajamas and others say they are overbuilt, I'd like to find out.

btw, you're killing me with the hidden text stuff

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:26:46 AM »

This is all I'm doing with the text except i use beige
The "hidden" text is only hidden to someone using a white background profile. It looks cool to me on the standard overview profile (theme). Because the theme most use has a BLACK background, so for most of us if someone posts in BLUE type, we can't see that, but you probably could.

Sounds cool. I've played a lot of guitars but never a Collings. I've just haven't run across any in Nashville. I hear mixed reviews about them; some think they're the cat's pajamas and others say they are overbuilt, I'd like to find out.

Danny 

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:29:33 AM »

Here are some pics, I took over 50 before my batteries died.
                  This wood is Brazilian and looks great, Danny

[attachment deleted by admin]

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:41:21 AM »

This is the tour guide, she was very nice, said I could take all the pics I wanted to and of course when I wasn't wandering off from the group she kindly answered my questions. (I got to where I just asked the guys at their work stations away from the tour a little) This is a very nice group of folks.
                     The Mandolins were right at the start of the tour, but not on the agenda at this point, but I stopped and took this pic anyway. Lost the group and had to ask for help to find where they went to.
                              More pics later, bracing, necks,woods, CNC, finish,details, and finished gits.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:44:32 AM »

The neck that Angela is holding is for the Honduran Mahogany git on the table. I hope the rose on the headstock shows up. My camera and me are a match, neither one of us are very good at taking pics, sorry.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »

Hey Jeremy, I use a white background and can't read it either.
Here is a trick to make it visible  (in case you have not already discovered this)

If you use your mouse and pointer to HIGH LITE the text ( as if you were going to copy it)
then it becomes visible.

I went to a Chet Atkins appreciation concert a couple of months ago.
It  featured about 8 of the best fingerstyle players - Peter Huttlinger , Murial Anderson and others...

I thought the best sounding guitar there was a COLLINGS.

Maybe some others on the forum went to that concert ?.....Anybody ?

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

The neck that Angela is holding is for the Honduran Mahogany git on the table. I hope the rose on the headstock shows up. My camera and me are a match, neither one of us are very good at taking pics, sorry.

What neck ?  What rose ?  What headstock ?

Tuffythelecherouspug
shadco

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »

So that is Angela.

She is always very helpful

Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:50:24 AM »

wow!  beautiful woods...i'll have to take the tour next time i'm in Austin.
tried a few Collings at a store in San Marcos.  all i can say is i can't see how anyone would
think they are overbuilt.  nothing but comfort and great tone, particularly the 00-mahogany.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 04:28:24 AM »

wow!  beautiful woods...i'll have to take the tour next time i'm in Austin.
tried a few Collings at a store in San Marcos.  all i can say is i can't see how anyone would
think they are overbuilt.  nothing but comfort and great tone, particularly the 00-mahogany.
                          Their bracing looks like exact copies of Martin to me, so they don't seem overbuilt in that respect and their finish comes 2 ways, old fashioned long drying or the poly /nitro combo which is still not that thick that I can tell.
    The one piece neck is heavy on hardware though. 3 bolts , I think. Or 2 bolts and a metal pin. Plus something I never saw before, 2 steel strips on either side of the truss rod. A lot of metal in the neck. I don't think I took a pic of that. My batteries died. I'll look and post some more pics.     Danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 04:32:15 AM »

Maybe I'm being ridiculously purist, but I could never consider any bolt-ons to be recreations of old Martins or Gibsons.  Homages? Sure.  Improvements?  Maybe.  But not the same.

This is not meant to be a knock on bolt-ons or on Collings, BTW.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 05:37:41 AM »

Maybe I'm being ridiculously purist, but I could never consider any bolt-ons to be recreations of old Martins or Gibsons.  Homages? Sure.  Improvements?  Maybe.  But not the same.

This is not meant to be a knock on bolt-ons or on Collings, BTW.

I know what you mean, but Martin does make their neck differently now and Gibsons, as we all know are hit and miss. My point was just that this group of builders looked like they were not going to be content with a mediocre git leaving their facility. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. And from what I observed they were not inferior in any respect to  Martin or Gibson.                         Danny   (btw I like glued necks myself)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 06:40:31 AM »

This is one that really caught my eye at the end so I got some new batteries and came back to take some pics. This is a custom with real tortoise shell, provided by the customer.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 06:45:41 AM »

I'll try and put up some of the CNC and work stations with stock wood later. Sorry it takes time to resize and post these files. (besides I have my gibson all taken apart for some needed cleaning and repairs)    Danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
tjmangum

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

Wow, great pics. Please put some more up.
tj
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »

Their bracing looks like exact copies of Martin to me, so they don't seem overbuilt in that respect and their finish comes 2 ways, old fashioned long drying or the poly /nitro combo which is still not that thick that I can tell.
    The one piece neck is heavy on hardware though. 3 bolts , I think. Or 2 bolts and a metal pin. Plus something I never saw before, 2 steel strips on either side of the truss rod. A lot of metal in the neck.

Maybe that's what people are talking about because the bracing of that dread doesn't look overbuilt.

Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »

I'd love to put a Collings through the paces, but unfortunately I have never had the chance to try one.  I've only heard great things about them, although some Martin folks think they sound a little to "clinical" ... whatever that means.

Thanks for sharing
John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
crewdog151

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 09:43:20 PM »

Played a few Collings in my quest for a new git. Just awesome attn to detail.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, and Today is a gift!!
08 D03R
95 Fender Tele
Yamaha FG 411 CE
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »

What neck ?  What rose ?  What headstock ?
bigrin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: