The "Fish Guitar" is complete!

Started by jwb, August 22, 2008, 05:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks to Peter Cree and Cree Studios the Larrivee OM-03MT "Fish Guitar" is finally complete!  Here are some pics of the guitar below.  I am still waiting for USPS to deliver it, but Pete did play it for me over the phone and it sounds killer.  I visited Pete in Nazareth and saw the guitar (and the artist) in person and I have to say that photographs just don't do the guitar (or the artist!) justice.  Enjoy!

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

That's a really nice looking guitar!  Now, to complete the sea theme, all you need is a tortoise pick to play it with.   :whistling:

:nice guitar:

Quote from: the creature on August 22, 2008, 05:39:43 PM
That's a really nice looking guitar!  Now, to complete the sea theme, all you need is a tortoise pick to play it with.   :whistling:

:nice guitar:

That's exactly what I was thinking,  Imagine that? :tongue:

Looks awesome! So, how is it for playing scales?

looks great!!!  Bet you could play some great soul on it.  Man I'm getting hungry for some reason.

Quote from: the creature on August 22, 2008, 05:39:43 PM
That's a really nice looking guitar!  Now, to complete the sea theme, all you need is a tortoise pick to play it with. 

Pick? or did you mean 'pike'?  :tongue:

Stunning guitar! Some abalone air bubbles as fret markers could have been a cute addition too??

That really did turn out nicely.  Let me ask you JWB, how do you "tuna fish" guitar like that? 
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

Is this a present for Aquaman (Michael Phelps)?
Jerry
www.jerrysleftyguitars.com

Funky guitar. Is it just the front that's painted, or are back/sides done as well?
--------------
www.MacNichol.com

That looks really cool Jason,  I bet it really looks nice in person where you can see the depth of the colors.

And a nice sounding little Hog guitar to boot.  You can't beat that.  :bgrin:

Wade

I didn't think this would become a pun thread...bunch of funny guys (and girls) around here! 

Quote from: MacNichol on August 23, 2008, 01:59:07 PM
Funky guitar. Is it just the front that's painted, or are back/sides done as well?

Just the top is nitrocellulose 'painted', and the finish has been buffed on the sides and back to make it thinner.  The guitar sounds better than it did before with the new finish as it is thinner and more responsive. 

The plastic (poly) finish Larrivee puts it's guitars is restrictive to put it lightly, but the poly finish is a necessity in the CA climate and requires little curing time...so when they build a guitar, it's sprayed, packed and shipped.  Quick turnaround, few issues.  Nitro is not that forgiving.  My new custom guitar will have a poly finish.  Nitro is going the way of the Dodo.

Justin

Quote from: jwb on August 23, 2008, 03:46:55 PM
I didn't think this would become a pun thread...bunch of funny guys (and girls) around here! 

Just the top is nitrocellulose 'painted', and the finish has been buffed on the sides and back to make it thinner.  The guitar sounds better than it did before with the new finish as it is thinner and more responsive. 

The plastic (poly) finish Larrivee puts it's guitars is restrictive to put it lightly, but the poly finish is a necessity in the CA climate and requires little curing time...so when they build a guitar, it's sprayed, packed and shipped.  Quick turnaround, few issues.  Nitro is not that forgiving.  My new custom guitar will have a poly finish.  Nitro is going the way of the Dodo.

Justin
I was at Collings yesterday and I brought up their use of Nitro over Poly, Or I believe it's the other way around. The POLY  is double coated and then the nitro is also. Thin layers. So the result is less finish sinking in to pores and more response when played. The poly is UV cured quickly then the nitro added. They have a very nice looking finish.      Danny

Well, I just recieved the guitar from Cree Studios this morning.  It is beautiful!  What really stands out about the guitar is how much better it sounds after the finish on the top is changed to nitro.  It makes a huge difference in the tone of the guitar.  I am one happy guy.  The best part is that I have a stunning piece of art to hang on the wall that I can also play and enjoy...my hat's off to Peter.  BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

If I ever get around to it I'll have to get some equipment together to record and share the sound of this guitar.  This hog top is a dream come true...I finally have the only guitar I will never sell.  I never thought I would see the day I would EVER be able to say that and truly mean it.

Cheers Everbody!  I'm off to play....Justin

nice....      :ohmy:
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Congrats Justin!  It's always a nice feeling to own a guitar that feels "special" too.
Just curious though, if you are hanging it on the wall as an art piece too, are you going to do anything with the wall to treat it as a blending (or contrasting) background?

It's been a long wait, but it's worth it  :nice guitar:

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

It would be great to hear this git. I think the nitro would make a huge difference.   Is the finish still a little soft?
I am wondering if even a finger nail will dent it right now.  Danny

Danny,

Yes, the nitro is still a bit soft, but not too much...I have to be careful with it for a few months as it gasses of and cures.  Peter told me the finish loses something like 18% of it's mass as it cures!  No wonder it will sound better with some age.

Sordello,

The wall I chose to hang it on is well lit and a very neutral khaki color.  The guitar will take the place of a watercolor painting I had hanging and be flanked by 2 black, minimalist shelves.  I'll take a pic once I get the wall hanger for it.

It looks great Justin, I missed this thread due to being absent for the summer.
Of course you have had plenty of time to get that pic of it on the wall, and the recording so we can all hear it.  I bet it sounds fantastic.

:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"