Ever snuck a Guitar into your collection without your partner knowing?

Started by obe-wan, August 17, 2008, 09:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One of my guitars actually lives in my locker at work, my theory being I usually get more time to play it at work than at home (3 kids at home). My wife knows about this one, (its my cheapy Aria) but Im considering getting more lockers! :roll
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: bluesman67 on August 21, 2008, 02:24:54 PM
:roll
This thread is hysterical, I simply had no idea the lengths that my fellow forum members go through to feed their guitar addiction.  I pretty much laughed my way through post after post, there are too many to single out any good ones to mention but the are all great.

It would appear that GAS truly is a psychological disorder worthy of study by some PhD at Princeton or someplace like that...they'd have a great data set if they simply registered onto this forum! :bgrin:
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on August 21, 2008, 08:12:53 PM
It would appear that GAS truly is a psychological disorder worthy of study by some PhD at Princeton or someplace like that...they'd have a great data set if they simply registered onto this forum! :bgrin:
you just need to get to know these folks, don't be fooled. Some are Doctors and PHD's. Everybody's intititled to some fun aren't they? Then again have you looked at the "How many years with your Spouse?" topic? Most of us have a deep feeling when it come down to it for our mates. I didn't mean to get to serious there. But I think it's true.;
                                       I know for me it is.. I'll give them all away in a heartbeat, if that is what she wants.

Quote from: dependan on August 21, 2008, 08:37:57 PM
you just need to get to know these folks, don't be fooled. Some are Doctors and PHD's. Everybody's intititled to some fun aren't they?

I'm one of those PhD's, and I'm having a blast!

One of my favorite replies, can't remember who said it, was that the forum is just a bunch of "enablers".  What a great use of the term.  Yeh, I certainly hope that we're just having fun and trying to learn about guitars and music...I sure am.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on August 21, 2008, 09:40:05 PM
I'm one of those PhD's, and I'm having a blast!

One of my favorite replies, can't remember who said it, was that the forum is just a bunch of "enablers".  What a great use of the term.  Yeh, I certainly hope that we're just having fun and trying to learn about guitars and music...I sure am.
the forum is just a bunch of "enablers".  sounds like a "Tuffyism" to me.  :laughin:

Quote from: dependan on August 21, 2008, 08:37:57 PM
                                     I'll give them all away in a heartbeat, if that is what she wants.

My brain exploded when I read that
If it sounds good, it is good.

Funny I should find this...
My new L-03-12RE is still a secret.....the day WILL come when I am caught playing her and I'll have to grow a backbone (my beans are already in her purse!) and come clean. Although this could be the last straw and I could end up single again....HMMMM...doesn't sound too bad...as long as I get the guitars, canoe, and fishing gear...she can have the house, cars, and the money.
Life is good...

Quote from: bearsville0 on August 22, 2008, 07:03:06 PM
My brain exploded when I read that
Heh, I'm a little concerned for your welfare. Did you find all the pieces of your brain yet? :ohmy:

I hate to admit it but you may be one of the only ones with their priorities straight Danny.  I have a feeling that most of us though, when push comes to shove, would sell every guitar we own if we needed the money for a life-saving procedure for our spouse.  After all, the guitars are just wood and steel and can be replaced when times get better.   And, truth be told, I don't really need to sneak guitars into the house it's just that I love a challenge.

Tuffythepug

I've never snuck a guitar into the house and I always tell (really ask, beg, plead )my wife before I buy one.  In the past, she's always given in or given up and she's happy that I haven't brought one home in almost a year.  I can feel gas building and going through the ordeal again.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I can play, but I've been playing out quite a bit over the last year and I think I can play that card and hopefully get away with it ...

Now what are the best excuses you have used with your partner for getting a new guitar - this should be good

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Had an interesting conversation with my wife this morning. Due to the recent arrival of our 3rd Child, a beautiful little daughter, we are in need of a bigger family car. I was originally going to buy used, but my wife suggested we should go for a new car, and just keep it longer. She pleaded her case and begged me to agree......you know whats coming , dont you?     I said O.K., but only if I could buy that 000-50 I've had my eye on.
We're going to see the Bank Manager on Wednesday!!!!!
:nana_guitar
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on August 23, 2008, 12:15:47 AM
Had an interesting conversation with my wife this morning. Due to the recent arrival of our 3rd Child, a beautiful little daughter, we are in need of a bigger family car. I was originally going to buy used, but my wife suggested we should go for a new car, and just keep it longer. She pleaded her case and begged me to agree......you know whats coming , dont you?     I said O.K., but only if I could buy that 000-50 I've had my eye on.

Seems fair to me.    You'll probably keep the 000-50 longer than you keep the new car too.
Somtimes it takes sweet-talk, sometimes it takes stealth and trickery, other times bribery or extortion..       whatever works.

Tuffythepug

Quote from: obe-wan on August 23, 2008, 12:15:47 AM

I admire your craftiness.
:beer
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

OK.  When I want (NEED) a new guitar I tell SWMBO that it's coming.  The reason that I'm getting it now is because it's such a great deal. (By definition, any guitar that I want is for sale at a great price).  Then I show her the one I'm going to sell later.  The reason that I'm going to sell it later is I can get a better price for mine later.  I can get a better price just before Christmas, when everybody's shopping, or just after Christmas when everybody's spending the money they got for Christmas, or after tax season when people are spending their refunds, or just after the fiscal year when everybody's got their bonuses, or...  Anyway, pick the one that's farthest in the future, then, when the time comes, wait for her to remind you that you were going to sell one.  You may not have to go any farther than that.  If she does remind you, say, "Absolutely, I'll get on that just as soon as I've finished <whatever>."  Then forget again.  Repeat as necessary.
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Quote from: wilblee on September 02, 2008, 12:24:36 AM
OK.  When I want (NEED) a new guitar I tell SWMBO that it's coming.  The reason that I'm getting it now is because it's such a great deal. (By definition, any guitar that I want is for sale at a great price).  Then I show her the one I'm going to sell later.  The reason that I'm going to sell it later is I can get a better price for mine later.  I can get a better price just before Christmas, when everybody's shopping, or just after Christmas when everybody's spending the money they got for Christmas, or after tax season when people are spending their refunds, or just after the fiscal year when everybody's got their bonuses, or...  Anyway, pick the one that's farthest in the future, then, when the time comes, wait for her to remind you that you were going to sell one.  You may not have to go any farther than that.  If she does remind you, say, "Absolutely, I'll get on that just as soon as I've finished <whatever>."  Then forget again.  Repeat as necessary.

This is a perfectly acceptable ruse.  The only hitch in this plan is when this happens:     

Me:  (after getting a new guitar)  "Yes honey I know, I need to sell a guitar now.  This is the one I'm going to sell just as soon as ______________ (fill in the blank)

She:   " Really ?   And when did you get that one !"

I've never snuck a guitar in without my partner knowing. I love my wife too much to take a chance that could cause a problem. However, it got me thinking... could I? Probably....

But, one thing that wouldn't happen. You could NEVER sneak a new partner in without your guitar knowing!
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

QuoteShe:   " Really ?   And when did you get that one !"

Feets don't fail me now...

BTW - how do you attribute a quote?
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.