Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever snuck a Guitar into your collection without your partner knowing?  (Read 6766 times)
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »

Here's my pathetic story:

Last year, when I bought a used Martin, I told my wife that I sold 2 guitars to finance the cost of the Martin. I didn't exactly sell them, but I did put them on consignment at the store I bought the Marin from. After about two months, when they didn't sell, I quietly snuck them back into the house (was that wrong?). My wife didn't have a clue. A few months after that, I wanted an electric, so I told my wife I was going to sell the exact same two guitars to finance the electric. She never caught on that these were the same guitars I "sold" a few months earlier. I was able to eventually sell one on consignment, but I'm thinking of sneaking the other one back in. Something tells me, though, that I'm pushing my luck here. 
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

Here's my pathetic story:

Last year, when I bought a used Martin, I told my wife that I sold 2 guitars to finance the cost of the Martin. I didn't exactly sell them, but I did put them on consignment at the store I bought the Marin from. After about two months, when they didn't sell, I quietly snuck them back into the house (was that wrong?). My wife didn't have a clue. A few months after that, I wanted an electric, so I told my wife I was going to sell the exact same two guitars to finance the electric. She never caught on that these were the same guitars I "sold" a few months earlier. I was able to eventually sell one on consignment, but I'm thinking of sneaking the other one back in. Something tells me, though, that I'm pushing my luck here. 

Was that wrong ?    What are you talking about ?  That's standard procedure.  Didn't you get the memo ? I've done this so many times that the store now just considers that they're temporarily storing
my guitar when I take it in.    One time they actually had a prospective buyer looking at one of my "consignments" and they wanted to know if I'd come down on the price a bit.  I told them absolutely not and went down and got it back right away before the buyer decided to go the extra bucks.  That was a close one.   Keep up the good work.

Tuffythepug

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 12:24:36 AM »

My local music stores mailing list has me listed as "Contactable on Mobile Ph. only, not to be contacted at home, no mailing info to be sent to home address". Sneaky?
Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »

My local music stores mailing list has me listed as "Contactable on Mobile Ph. only, not to be contacted at home, no mailing info to be sent to home address". Sneaky?
Cheers, Scott.

That's hilarious! Yeah, I tell 'em if a woman answers, hang up! 
tonejones

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

This is absolutely great fellas, I feel so much better now that I have heard even sneakier escapades than my own!  I hope this thread keeps growing so my conscience will start shrinking in proportion!
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 03:16:59 PM »

In case you haven't figured it out by now we're all just a bunch of enablers here.

Oh, by the way have you ever had a guitar delivered to your workplace rather than your home so you could sneak it in when the wife wasn't around ?   

No ?    me either. whistling
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »

We'll see. I put $200.00 down on an RS4 today. It is SO SWEET!
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »

We'll see. I put $200.00 down on an RS4 today. It is SO SWEET!

Duck !   you dog you.   I knew it was only a matter of time.  Whadja get ???  The tobacco burst or the amber ?   The burst I bet.   

Tuffythepug
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 06:17:48 PM »

Duck !   you dog you.   I knew it was only a matter of time.  Whadja get ???  The tobacco burst or the amber ?   The burst I bet.   

Tuffythepug

Damn all my guitars are sunburst! I need a change! So here's how it works. He brought in the amber because that's the one I thought I wanted but now I'm having burst regret. So, he's going to bring in a few more. One of each probably. This way, though, no more dirty, filthy, disgusting hands will touch it before I decide.     
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »

Nope.  I see in your other post that you went with the amber.    They're both very nice looking. 

+1
tonejones

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »

Hey there Tuffy...

I had both of my Larry's sent to my office to cool off while I got the kahunas to show them to my wife! 
Stratokatsu

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 08:28:53 PM »

My collection doesn't have to "cheat" on my wife. Sometimes she might ask me if a guitar is new and I'll tell her if it is, but mostly, she just doesn't care. She likes opera, I like bluegrass... She stays about as far away from my music room as possible. I could probably put a horse in there and she wouldn't know.

Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 09:23:19 PM »

I could probably put a horse in there and she wouldn't know.

After a few weeks she might start to smell it though...

I envy your music room and wife's relationship to it.  Someday I hope to have one in the basement...a music room, that is.

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »

I live in a two-story house.  My music room is upstairs where I keep my 10 guitars, music books, misc. paraphanalia and a couple of amps.     Mrs Tuffythepug never sets foot in there unless we are showing the house to someone for the first time.  Once I've got a guitar into the room  I'm home free.   It's in the guitar zone which isn't to be messed with.    The problem sometimes is getting a new guitar through the front door and past the kitchen, the living room and the den without encountering any resistance on the way.   I've become quite adept at mis-direction and distraction techniques.   However, in those few instances where I'm going to actually sell a guitar from the herd I make a BIG point of bringing it downstairs when I know she'll be seeing it.  Then I leave it in the den for a couple of days because I'm torn up about giving it up.  Heavy sighs now and then and ultimately I do take it to FedEx to ship to it's new owner or to the store for "consignment" (see earlier post)

Ok I've admitted to way too much already.    Please tell me someone is worse than me.  blush

Tuffythepug
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »

I almost always get home before she does! I don't know if I'm worse but I'm a bad, bad man. 
tonejones

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 01:07:38 PM »

Unfortunately, my distraction techniques hold no sway over my better half...she has the eyes of a hawk if I walk through the door with anything larger than a grocery bag...she knows me too well.  Any time I sneak one in, she has to be out of the house so I can secure a nice hidey-hole for my new 'ladyfriend'.  One day, I walked in with one of my Dad's acoustics in a TKL case to change strings for him and as soon as I opened the door she jumped up and let loose on me!  "Did you get another one....you needed it like a hole in your head"...well you know the rest I am sure....It felt good to hold my hands up in denial and for the first time TRULY be able to say "it's not mine, I am just holding on to it for someone"

Alas, the tangled webs we weave...
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »

Tonejones
Yeah.   I'm holding guitars for several of my friends right now.   I've been holding some of them for years.
pierrev

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 06:13:32 PM »

Many thanks to all of you, i feel so much at home rigth now, with all these tricks i should be able to add another guitar in my little collection. I am presently debating if i should or not buy another guitar but the problem is how to get it in and pass the tigress at the door.
Anyway if you never hear from me well you know what happen.

Pierre

FIII LS 03 MH #74      Charlotte
LS 09 FM                    Ari
Moisan OM                  Unique
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »

Wow.. It sure looks like there are alot of "cheatin on the wife" go-in on here!!

So would that Sj200 with flamedmaple be considered the cute blonde..

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 07:24:54 PM »

I had no idea that all the folks here were so sneaky about their new guitars!  This thread is hysterical, I simply had no idea the lengths that my fellow forum members go through to feed their guitar addiction.  I pretty much laughed my way through post after post, there are too many to single out any good ones to mention but the are all great.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: