Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K&K Trinity + Quantum blender - I-Beam - comments, etc  (Read 5968 times)
mrrinse

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »

Hi,

I'm interested in comments on the K&K Trinity system. Andy McKee uses this, together with a Sunrise mag soundhole; Don Ross uses just the trinity; both sound great live.

I've got the mini-Western in my McIlroy and - even though I'm using the right pre into an AER Compact 60, I'm not bowled over by the tone: my I-Beam active and Fishmann Rare Earth humbucker combo in my L-05MT sounds better... though still not brilliant (I'm even less keen on the A2.2 in my LV-09). But people rave about the K&K mini western and Don and Andy both sound great (but then they're much better players than me too!). But I wondered whether adding the condenser mic part would provide the extra magic I'm looking for.

I'm also considering adding the Trinity (mic/mini-western) to my LV-09 on a separate stereo output jack (I figure I may as well leave the A2.2 in there), so that if I gig with both the LV and the McIlroy, changeovers are easy.

I'd need a preamp to go with. The Quantum blender looks like the ticket as it would supply phantom power (9v) to the K&K mic. I don't know of any non K&K pres that do this - but let me know if you do!

Any thoughts?

Finally, any thoughts on the effective feedback resistance of the I-Beam vs the K&K Trinity/Mini-Western.

Thanks!

Dan

Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:24 AM »

Adding a condenser mic (either an internal or external) to a K&K certainly improved my sound.  I wouldn't do without it.  An external is preferable to an internal.  An internal will work well but only if you have separate gain and separate eq for it prior to any blending.
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »

I used to run an internal mic, but if you play live very much I find them to be problematic with feedback. I've now switched over to the iMix, which is a dual system featuring the under bridge iBeam and under saddle Element. I chose an onboard preamp with an unobtrusive mix and volume wheel located just inside the soundhole. However, looking for more pure sound I configured a passive M-1 to be able to take either the iBeam or the Elements place in the dual system. The M-1 gives you the pick attack sound and slightly more brilliant than the Element.

I have not played the K&K Trinity system although, as previously stated, the internal mics do not work for where I play. They do give a very natural sound though. But, you would be amazed at how far the under bridge and under saddle technology has come in the last 5 years.

There's a couple pennies worth...

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »

I personally don't like the looks of sound hole pick ups - but that's just me.

Considering a dual sourced system, I think it would be simpler and you'll have fewer problems staying with all the components from the same manufacturer.

Currently I like the K&K PowerMix (SBT and UST) as well as the LR Baggs iMix (SBT and UST).  Both have compatible preamps.

Mike <><
mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »

Thanks for the comments so far.
I'm also not keen on the look of soundhole pickups, so I think ust/ast/mic is the way forward.
I'm still tempted to give the K&K Trinity a go with the Quantum preamp (which has separate eq and gains for the mic and the mini-Western). I could also add this to most of my guitars for relatively minimal cost, whereas going the L R Baggs route (I-Beam + something else) would cost a small fortune!
One of the problems at the moment is switching between guitars and having completely different systems requiring different cables, eq setups, etc. So plan would be to add the K&K mic to the mini western in my McIlroy and supplement the A2.2 in my LV-09 with the K&K trinity (on a separate jack; and just ignore the A2.2 for the time being). Then they'd both be the same. I'll leave the I-Beam and Rare Earth in the L-05MT as it sounds ok (may just have to leave it at home for gigs though!)

Any thoughts on Highlander, Scherlter, Hedway, etc or anything else before I take the plunge?

Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

I know you said you didn't like the looks of a sound hole pick up, but I think the Rare Earth Blend has a very natural sound and the blending knob is very handy and easy to use on the fly.  I have K&K mini's in 2 of my other guitars and they sound very good.  However, the acoustic reproduction from my Rare Earth Blend is more accurate and richer sounding.  I play it through a LR Baggs DI box ino a Ultrasound amp.  I have been very pleased with the results.  I have heard to stay away from the Scherler Blue stick  I have heard good things from other folks about the Bband... You don't like it?

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
moga

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »

I use K&K trinity with D-tar Solstice.

i tried K&K small blender, Presounus AcoustiQ..have some problem to find the right sound...and feedback issues.

bought the D-Tar Solstice..and really like the sound of my guitar..~
mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

I find the B-Band A2.2 a bit piezo-ey. Sounds thin, scratchy, lacking warmth and a bit bright. Notching out at 1khz helps, but it just feels a bit one dimensional, if you know what I mean.

Very tempted to try the Quantum Blender with the Trinity. If that works out, I may replace supplement my A2.2 with a Trinity System.

Moga: Are you using the passive K&K Trinity (i.e. not battery or onboard electronics? I was tempted by the Solstice, but I wasn't sure it provided the appropriate phantom power for the Trinity mic, and so thought I'd go for the blender. The mini blenders looked a bit fiddley in terms of eq control, hence my preference for the Quantum. Do you think the Quantum would do as good a job as the Solstice - or, in my case (since I'd have the passive Trinity system) - would it even do the job? I think the D-tar has 48v phantom power, which might fry the 9v trinity mic....

moga

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

mrrinse,

mine's passive..so i have to control the sound at the blender .it supports the panthom power..

Trinity Preamp didn't do a job i wanted..i didn't want the onboard one..it's too hard to control ..
it didn't fry my mic for sure..:).it's 15V......as their manual says..

Phantom Power Button
Engages or disengages +15V phantom power for each channel.
Press button in to engage. Phantom power will be present
at the + and – terminals of the XLR input and at the Ring connection
of the High Impedance input. Please be sure to only
engage phantom power if it is truly needed in your system.
Inappropriate use of phantom power could be harmful to certain
electronic devices in your signal chain.

. just be carefull when you plug in it.you have to mute the unit first..and do it..otherwise feedback will kill yah..

i use lutehole and i taped up all the holes in lutehole to cover my sound hole completely..it works!!..

there are some great blenders out there..and i think solstice is one of them..

highlander has one ..quantum(bit expensive)..tho.. ..good luck with your search~
mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »

Thanks Moga,
Very helpfull.
I was going to get the Quantum blender since the onboard one and the small K&K one won't do it for me, but I'll definitely give the D-Tar some thought (possibly the Highlander too). Good to see it works with the passive K&K Trinity system!
Sounds like you've had to use a lutehole to control the feedback - I guess you were having issues with the mic without it?

Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:53:40 PM »

Dan,

I just went to your myspace page and listed to your playing.  I must say it is nothing short of excellent!  I now know why you want such an accurate repruduction of your music.  Anything less would be unacceptable.  And yes.... I do hear a whisper of Michael Hedges and Nick Drake in your playing.  I am a true fan of both.  FANTASTIC!!!

How much are you asking for your LV-19 CA?  rbhutson@earthlink.net
Thx,
Rich

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
moga

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »

i never used highlander..i think not many people are using this one..(maybe it's new?).and it's very expensive..$500...

the key how to use the solstice are how to mix it..since the mic part may give some feedback..you need to find the level that doesn't give you any..
since i am using the monitor infront of me playing, i need the feedback control with lutehole..with lutehole with whole not covered gave me some problem.
but after i covered it with tape..it works like charm..!!!

mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

Rich, really glad you liked my material (blush!). Your kind words are greatly appreciated. The track on myspace are rough old recordings of older pieces. I'm hoping to get some better versions done (and record some new material) for an album in the next year or so... I'll keep you updated, and drop you a line about the LV-19 CA.

Blending's definitely key. I've just had a look at the Highlander. It does look very good - I find the lack of (semi-)parametic eq on normal pre amps a bit of a problem... But it's $600 or so...  and I'm based in the UK, making the actual price even higher!

Just to confused things, the Shatten HNF pickups look pretty good too... !

moga

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »

are you based in UK?..that's cool.

ever heard of Patrick Eggle?..i have patrick eggle Saluda..love the guitar..
i also have Trace Elliot acoustic 50 R...

hmm..my major gears are all from England huh? (well Eggle made his guitar at here in US, but he moved to England..)..

your music is great!!!!!!wow..~
mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »

Hi Moga,

Thanks for all your helpful comments so far. Yup - based in London. I was actually born in D.C, but don't have (and can't get) a US passport.

I played a Patrick Eggle about 10 years ago and remember it being lovely. Not seen them around for a while, but then I've not been looking at electrics for a while either!

If you're into UK gear, there are some great acoustic makers over here including Moon, Flyde, Avlon, Lowden (notice how anyone who's anyone seems to play a Lowden: Pierre Bensusan, Richard Thompson, Don Ross, etc, etc). Personally, I really, really rate McIlroy. IMHO, like a Lowden but more responsive. And cheaper. And lowder (sorry!). Beautifully built too.

Glad you're liking the tunes!

Dan

moga

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

wow that's cool..

yeah Patrick had some problem with the company i heard, he started his own acoustic guitar build..
He was in the us to build his acoustic, and established great lines.
and went back to Shropshire, England.

www.eggle.co.uk/links.html

well i am in DC (near..) work in near Crystal City here.

I played McIlroy..loved it..!!!!!..wish i have money to spend..:)

will keep checking your site my friend.~
moga

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

hey there few more blenders..
raven labs..PMBII or PMBI ..you may get some used one since the business closed down it's operation.

http://www.raven-labs.com/pages/products/pmb1/pmb1.html

FISHMAN Pocket Blender( also discontinued)..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: