R.E.M.

Started by lyric_girl, August 12, 2008, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everyone,

Thought this was a good place for me to put my first post and say hello.

I'm Lynda, live in the burbs of Toronto, Canada, have only been playing since March after having wanted to play for about 20 years, currently playing Taylor 110 and just bought my first mandolin (a Kentucky f style).

Am a HUGE fan of REM since 1988. Just saw them live for the first times ever June 8 and June 13. Peter Buck seems to be a Taylor/Martin man, but hey, you never know.

Lynda  :cheers
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Hi Lynda.  I've seen their last three shows in TO and I thought this year's at the Amphitheatre was the best yet.  Where were you sitting?  We were right down in the front.  (Joining the fan club has its advantages.  :smile:)
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on August 12, 2008, 08:29:34 PM
Hi Lynda.  I've seen their last three shows in TO and I thought this year's at the Amphitheatre was the best yet.  Where were you sitting?  We were right down in the front.  (Joining the fan club has its advantages.  :smile:)

I was down on the floor too! It was amazing and then I saw them in Boston, which was even better. R u on murmurs.com or myrem.com?

I'm a member on murmurs (under the same name), but I've never really posted much there.  Lots of good info there, though.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

We were right down in front of Mike Mills.  One thing I loved about being right down in front was that at one point Stipe came over and just stared at us.  It was so unexpected!  I started looking  around nervously, like, uh, what am I supposed to do now?

It was a great moment, among many.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Quote from: Tycho on August 12, 2008, 08:47:04 PM
We were right down in front of Mike Mills.  One thing I loved about being right down in front was that at one point Stipe came over and just stared at us.  It was so unexpected!  I started looking  around nervously, like, uh, what am I supposed to do now?

It was a great moment, among many.

I was in guitar heaven, pretty much right in front of Peter, but not as close as you.

Hi and welcome Lynda! I saw them here in Thunder Bay in '03 when they came and did a special concert on behalf of the local AIDS committee. Great band, great show and very generous of them. We can forgive the Taylor, at least I can, because like I always tell everyone ... CHICK GUITAR!  :winkin:   :humour:   

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 13, 2008, 06:57:03 AM
Hi and welcome Lynda! I saw then here in Thunder Bay in '03 when they came and did a special concert on behalf of the local AIDS committee. Great band, greast show and very generous of them. We can forgive the Taylor, at least I can, because like I always tell everyone ... CHICK GUITAR!  :winkin:   :humour:   

A friend of mine from Minnesota, who I met at the Boston show, also say them in Thunder Bay and stayed at the same hotel with the band. Sigh.

As for the Taylor comment... NOT!

Yah, well, Peter's isn't all sparkly.

Gag me with a spoon  :tongue:

Ironically, I just saw this thread seconds after posting my Musical Influences under that ongoing thread.  I am completely dismayed that I forgot to mention REM.  They were probably one of the three biggest bands for me in college (along with Elvis Costello and the Clash).  I loved everyone of the first six or so albums and then (like many) grew weary.  I'm very happy with Accelerate.  I think it's a solid album.

Anybody played any of their new stuff on a guitar (preferably a Larrivee, no offense lyric girl  :wink:)
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on August 13, 2008, 08:09:21 PM
Ironically, I just saw this thread seconds after posting my Musical Influences under that ongoing thread.  I am completely dismayed that I forgot to mention REM.  They were probably one of the three biggest bands for me in college (along with Elvis Costello and the Clash).  I loved everyone of the first six or so albums and then (like many) grew weary.  I'm very happy with Accelerate.  I think it's a solid album.

Anybody played any of their new stuff on a guitar (preferably a Larrivee, no offense lyric girl  :wink:)

I pretty much love everything that REM recorded up to and including Out of Time. After Bill Berry left, I still bought the albums, but I was very disheartened.

So happy to hear that you have heard Accelerate and like it. The tour has been amazing with them playing a ton of the early stuff including stuff like Fall on Me and So. Central Rain. If you care, they r in Europe and there is tons of talk that there is going to be a second NA leg.

As for me, I would love to have a Larrivee, but my GAS money is currently $0 after buying my mandolin. DH has a Rickenbacker bass on order too.

I steadfastly maintain that there's great stuff on Up and Reveal.  Yes, Around the Sun was a disappointment, but when some of it came up on my iPod a few weeks ago, I was surprised to find that it was better than I remembered.

My theory is that REM will go through what happened with Dylan and Neil Young;  at some point in the next decade, they'll be "re-discovered" and the supposedly bad albums from the post-Bill Berry era will be favourably reappraised.

BTW, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, their last Bill Berry album, was really great, IMO.  It should have been cut back by 10 or 15 minutes, though.  That was the era when everyone was putting out hour-long CDs just because they could.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Quote from: Tycho on August 13, 2008, 08:42:38 PM
I steadfastly maintain that there's great stuff on Up and Reveal.  Yes, Around the Sun was a disappointment, but when some of it came up on my iPod a few weeks ago, I was surprised to find that it was better than I remembered.

My theory is that REM will go through what happened with Dylan and Neil Young;  at some point in the next decade, they'll be "re-discovered" and the supposedly bad albums from the post-Bill Berry era will be favourably reappraised.

BTW, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, their last Bill Berry album, was really great, IMO.  It should have been cut back by 10 or 15 minutes, though.  That was the era when everyone was putting out hour-long CDs just because they could.

Ok, you guys know I'm a huge fan, but I have to get something off my chest, I hadn't even heard Around the Sun until November, 07 and didn't own a copy either. However, that being said, I think Leaving New York, Around the Sun and Aftermath are fab. The only thing I can say that I truly dislike is Wanderlust!

I have learned to appreciate NIHF, Up and Reveal.

PS: I think Bill Rieflin is an excellent drummer and a great non-member of REM

Every album has something to like on it. I have them all and agree with Tycho. I also bought the Man on The Moon soundtrack to get The Great Beyond. 
Also, Under The Red Sky is NOT a bad Dylan album. It actually contains the seeds that created the great trilogy (TOOM, L&T, MT's).   

I read an interview with Buck, and as I recall, he claims NAIHF is his favorite release.  I did like it, but in a massive effort to reduce my number of CDs (to less than 1000 total), I foolishly got rid of it.

I still can't get the bad taste of Monster out of my memory.

Apparently, I need to try Reveal, which I've never heard.

South Central Rain is one of my favorite songs to play and sing...

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Nothing they did could top Murmur, imho.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 14, 2008, 10:53:26 AM
Nothing they did could top Murmur, imho.
I still remember the day when my buddy across the hall in my dorm (at Michigan) walked into the room with the Murmur album, still in the plastic wrapping.
I hadn't heard of REM yet (back in the days before the internet, word traveled at a snail's pace, but Ann Arbor was hip and had one of the best record stores in the country, the fabled Schoolkids Records--moment of silence, they closed up shop about 10 years ago...)
Anyway, that creepy Murmur cover and Stipe's nearly incomprehensible lyrics had us hooked from the get-go.

Reckoning is still my personal fave, edging out Murmur by just a tad.

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

So happy to meet all the REM fans over here. :welcome:

My top five are: World Leader Pretend, Nightswimming, So. Central Rain, Fall on Me and Cuyahoga.
I got to hear Cuyahoga and Fall on Me live in June and almost cried. I know, I'm a sap.

To this day, I have no appreciation for Monster and rarely listen to it. Fave albums are: Reckoning, Green and Fables of the Reconstruction.

If any of you have not heard Accelerate (released April 1, 2008), give it a go. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Take care,

Lynda

Here's my embarrassing REM admission: when I was in grad school in the very early '80s, one of the undergrads had a connection with REM, so they came and played the school a couple of times.  I was aware of them (this was around the time of the Chronic Town EP, and I really liked "Carnival of Sorts"), but I didn't go to see them.  I can't remember why.  It would have been cool to see one of those early gigs.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02