Need Larrivee Buying Advice: Parlor, 03, Etc..?

Started by odonnebj, August 02, 2004, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, I'm a bit new to Larrivee guitars and am in some need of buying advice.  I've had my eye on a Parlor guitar for a long time now but do I get the gloss or satin finish one?  If I decide to go with the gloss finish, for the same price I could get an 03E series.  The benefits there are a bigger body and electronics, but no gloss.  My budget is tight but I want something of good quality where I'm not going to have to replace the bridge pins, saddle, tuners, etc...  Thanks!
-odie
p.s.-I've already decided to purchase through a friendly dealer who posts here... I just don't know what yet. LOL!

Before you decide on a dealer I think its best that you decide on which guitar will suite your need's and your buget.The Parlour's are wonderful guitars both satin and gloss.The 03's are wonderful guitars in any body style.As for changin out part's well for some it's to improve on an already wonderful guitar,but it's not nesserary.Give us more info on your need's. B)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

If you need electronics, I would suggest buying a used -03 (especially if you want Rosewood) and then adding the electronics that you liked the best.

If you don't then don't waste your money with buying them, especially if it has got an extra hole cut in it.

unclrob's point is right on.

Why are you buying a guitar in the first place?

I thought I wanted a D model; because it's the most popular shape for strummers - need it for the bass, etc.

But when I played a Larrivee OM-03 in a local store, and the bass on that guitar was almost better than higher priced D models from lesser manufacturers - oh man, the guitar world opened up to me.

The OM was so much more comfortable to play.

Then the dealer got in an L-03-E, and it was a match made in heaven - nearly all the comfort of the OM, a sweet finerpicking sound, and bass to challenge most D models from other manufacturers.

Parlours, to me, are too much of a niche sound for a general use guitar - I'd like to have one, but it wouldn't be my #1.

Decide why you are buying, and then go from there.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

For what it's worth...

I have a fairly new LV-03R, which matches the feel that I like. Not too big, not too small. Just right. Sounds incredible, looks great. I did add a Tor-Tis pickguard, but that was all I can see doing to it. Perhaps a set of Tusq pins...

But, out of the box it is an excellent guitar!

And, I have a little sister for it, as well. A new "old" parlor, rosewood. It's my "travel" guitar, stays in the truck. Never needs a tuning, sounds pretty good (not like the LV, but it's not intended to). 12-fret, comfy when sitting at a park or in the truck.

Both guitars satisfy a perceived need of mine - a guitar for the office and one for the road. Both sound great. Both do what I want them to do.

Wouldn't trade either one.

So, play an "L" series. If it sounds good, buy it. Then, if you sense a "need" for the parlor, get it, too. Personally, I like the older ones, not the shinny new ones.

Dave
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog