Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OM-01 Scratch Plate Aftermath  (Read 742 times)
yoghurt

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'd really appreciate the guidance of anyone who may have experience of removing the scratch plate for the OM-01.
This is such a beautiful sounding guitar and I can live with any condition it gets itself in as it will be a keeper.  Nevertheless, I've removed the stock see-thru scratch plate and would be really grateful for any help anyone could offer in terms of treatment and matching of finishes where the scratchplate is now missing.  I've posted a couple of pics below to give you some indication of the issue.
Thanks a lot in anticipation
Matt Wilson

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »

Use Ronsonal lighter fluid...naptha, on a rag.  I know...it sounds weird, but it should come right off and it will not damage the finish. 

yoghurt

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:03:29 PM »

Thanks very much for your reply Denis.  Should I use this even though there is no glue residue just a dull finish as opposed to the slightly shinier satin finish? It's almost as though the scratch plate has lifted some of the shine from the satin polish. 

Btw, your interpretation of "That's the way" is the most beautiful I've heard.  That tune's got a special place in my heart.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:50:07 PM »

It sounds like someone buffed the guitar with the pickguard on. If that's the case the naptha won't do you any good. You might have to buff that spot out then maybe the whole top to get it even. There's a thread in the technical FAQ on how to do this.

yoghurt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »

I'll seek it out. Thanks very much for your help.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:14:50 PM »

Thanks for the kind words yoghurt.  I think jeremy is right about the guitar being buffed out.  Shouldn't take very long to get it all even if that little section is all that needs to be buffed out. 

yoghurt

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:38:44 AM »

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'm not sure a UK based forum would have been as forthcoming with guidance! I think I'm going to research for an appropriate wax polish.  The larrivee FAQ on polishing, and the FAQ thread on scratch plate removal are mainly concerned with re-finishing satin in gloss, or just removing the scratch plate respectively. 

I think the difference in finishes is due to time as the guitar is approximately 3 years old and these OM's have a very simple matt finish which is perhaps more susceptible to the glue than a gloss.

Apologies for posting yet another thread about buffing etc.  I promise I'd searched the forum for a similar topic and didn't find one.  I have seen some advice about using Dunlop 65 so I think I'll give that a try first before I do anything more comprehensive.  Thanks once again for all your help.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:32:11 PM »

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'm not sure a UK based forum would have been as forthcoming with guidance! I think I'm going to research for an appropriate wax polish.  The larrivee FAQ on polishing, and the FAQ thread on scratch plate removal are mainly concerned with re-finishing satin in gloss, or just removing the scratch plate respectively. 

I think the difference in finishes is due to time as the guitar is approximately 3 years old and these OM's have a very simple matt finish which is perhaps more susceptible to the glue than a gloss.

Apologies for posting yet another thread about buffing etc.  I promise I'd searched the forum for a similar topic and didn't find one.  I have seen some advice about using Dunlop 65 so I think I'll give that a try first before I do anything more comprehensive.  Thanks once again for all your help.

The FAQ is not about refinishing, it's about polishing/buffing the existing satin finish to a higher shine.

Wax and polish are 2 different things. We don't need wax at all for buffing out a satin finish. I would use the polishing compounds from Stew Mac if it were me. These are made for guitars and are silicone free. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/ColorTone_Polishing_Compounds.html

The satin finish isn't more susceptible to glue than gloss because the gloss and the satin are the exact same thing minus a flattening agent. The spot were your pickguard was looks a little uneven, I would be absolutely certain it's not glue residue before anything else. The rest of the guitar however does look like it has more shine than a satin finished larrivee comes with- it should be almost flat with no shine

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: