Anyone Else Battle Depression?

Started by wyodeb, August 01, 2004, 08:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I haven't even played my guitars for weeks. I'm finally starting to get over the side effects of going back on medication. It should start working soon. I hate this!

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

myself no, but I've lost one to it.She was never on med's always had touble getting her to talk about things and I could never get her to get pro help.My guitar playing always made her smile.I stillmiss her to this day.Its been 12 years now.
How's the hubby doin.
This might be over steppin but if you ever need to vent I'm alwas happy to help.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I've fought it off & on since childhood. Sometimes it is seasonal, sometimes brought on by stress, and sometimes seems to appear for no reason at all. I finally gave in to the meds about 14 years ago. Wish I had done it sooner, so many things would have been so much better if I had. I hate the medication side effects, although some are not as bad as others, but the depression is much worse than any side effects. I don't want to put my family through it again.

To answer your other question, my hubby is doing very well. He's back to work almost full-time. Will preach next Sunday. Still gets tired more easily than normal, but otherwise much better. Thanks for the concern!

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Deb,
I'm so sorry. I will keep you in my thoughts. Email me if I can be of any help. I DO understand!
Tom

Deb you can rest assured you have the full support of the forum members here.  i lost a brother to depression and understand how deeply depression impacts the person involved including family and friends. We went through some difficult times but i know my brother is resting peacefully now and i still feel a sense of pride everytime i see the International Space Station knowing he put his finest engineering skills into it and how happy he must be to have the ISS as a neighbor.
i'm very glad to hear you're undergoing treatment as difficult as it can be but it is worth the trial as you already know and i'm glad your hubby is recovering so well.
Best wishes

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

I feel akin to those who struggle...I, too lost a sibling to depression .....a pretty 33 year old sister in '99.

I suffered a bout in 2001 and 2002 that had it not been for God, thru my wife (and several others) I probably wouldn't be here today to tell the tale.

Wyodeb, and any others here, put me on the list of those who will listen, and not judge. Anytime, just email me.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

My wife(dancinskunk) deals with depression. Has been having a difficult time over the past year(knee injury, blood clots, loss of a job) It seems to run in her family(the females at least). Was worried for a while  that I might lose her(she was in hospital for about a week in Febuary) She's currently attended a day hospital and it seems to be helping. What makes it even tougher for me is that I work in the psychiatric filed and deal with individuals with depression- yetfeel so powerless and useless at home sometimes. I guess all I can do is be there with love and support and pray thats enough. After my divorce(10yrs ago-but seems like a lifetime) went through a period of deep depression and went through a period of a few months in and out of hospital. Sometimes I think it was only through prayers of my family and friends I made it through. I guess I am one of the blessed ones had a long episode of depression-but havent had since. I know my friends and family and least important my guitar have got me through some tough times since. Prayers out to You and family Deb, Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Thanks all of you! I've been lurking a little, but haven't had the energy to write anything. Not to mention feeling bad about the neglected guitars, house, kids, spouse... Anyhow, this morning I woke up the first time the alarm went off, and actually got out of bed and got to work on time. I think things are turning around. I've been through this many times before, and each time I hope it's the last time. My last one was 3 years ago! :)  God is good, my family is supportive, and the meds do work eventually.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Hey Deb,

Get well soon and keep us posted, sometimes it's cool just emailing someone and there are plenty of good folk here. :)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Glad you're feeling a little better wyodeb! I get a little blue at times myself, but I either pick up my guitar and just play random chord/arpeggio progressions or try and perfect that song that's been giving me trouble. By getting creative, I've found that I can lose myself in the music and build up my energy reserves. Be careful, though - sometimes it's at the expense of a good night's sleep! ;)
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Deb really glad that today started better,keep the hope's high as I know your faith is.Don't forget your extended family is right behind you at all time's. :)  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I think it is very brave of you to share it with people that you really dont know--although I DO think this is a great group here.
I can also recommend the creative outlet.  (Art teacher for 14 yrs.)  Have you tried clay?  I have found many troubled youngsters, and adults, that respond to the tactile, fundamental earthiness of having one's hands in clay--even if you dont "make" anything.  My boy shows signs of ADHD, but he will come with me and work in the clay studio for 5 hrs. at a time!  Or a big stick of charcoal on a large sheet of paper and go at it...Art Therapy.
As far as the meds go, can you go the "alternative" route?Something "natural"/homeopathic that wont give you those heebie-jeebies.
Just a few sincere suggestions.  :)  

Just another person showing support for you. There's nothing I can say that will help in a real way but I hope you continue to get better.
I would encourage you to open up to others in group discussions, here, your family, or perhaps your church family if you regularly attend church. The fact you're open to talking about is a great sign!

Joe
Joe
D-03
L-03

Battling, struggling and winning! Ask your Dr. about Effexor. Miracle drug! The only side effects I've noticed are actually quite pleasant. Like Ibrahim says in Father Ibrahim, happiness begins with smiling. Keep smiling!    :)  :lol:  ;)  

I can't take Effexor, but I do pretty well on Wellbutrin.

In reply to a post upstream, I'm not really brave talking about this. It's a fact of life for me, like high blood pressure or diabetes is for others. I shared it with the forumites partially as a way of explaining my prolonged absence. It's tough for me to do anything when I'm at my worst. Now that I'm starting to feel better, I'm re-entering the world (physical & virtual).

We're quite active in church (MDH is a pastor), and that helps, too, although God seems very far away when I'm depressed.

I appreciate the support, & value this community. I'm going to try some guitar playing this evening after work, now that I don't feel quite so much like I'm swimming through molasses. :)

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

I Feel for ya Deb and can understand how you feel Try putting on some of your favorite prasie and worship music and see if that helps a little there have been times when I have felt that way and more often then naught putting on some prasie and worship music always seem to work for me  :)   Hang in there and will keep you in my prays.

Steven  

I keep reminding myself that all consciousness is chemical. All emotional and mental processes are a chemical reaction. Wrong chemicals, improper balance, I start toying with the steak knives. Kidding. I think. Anyway, it IS like other diseases. Malfunctioning serotonin production units instead of not enough insulin. Filthy kismet! SSRI's are not NOT truly antidepressants. They are serotonin levelers.
Anyway, I play my guitars every day. Whether I want to or not, I know they need it.  :)  

I was givin Wellbutrin last year when after 40 years I tried to quit smokin.I hope the side effects for you aren't to bad.I couldn't sleep and I started having trouble focusing on project's like soldering and reading in general.Had to stop taking it.Still haven't quit smoking but I'm workimg on it.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Deb,

I'm glad you're doing better.  You are in my thoughts.  I think I understand to a degree.  My father was diagnosed with diabetes.  As a side effect of many medications and his new diagnosis, he went into a deep depression.  He lost his job because he just couldn't function at work.  

He has been getting better.  He has found a job with a better environment for him.  He sails his boat on the lake.  He plays my guitar occasionally.  He is always with friends and family.  He has found the therapy that works for him.        

I wish you all the best, Deb.  Keep playing.  

Rob
WM
OM-03

Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose...

I'm doing much better this week. The side-effects have subsided, and I'm feeling more energetic. I've had all the guitars out (even took the Big Baby Taylor to the church picnic today--I don't worry about it as much as I do my OM) The playing has been therapeutic. I think I'll call my teacher and resume my lessons in the next week or so.

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes.

Deb :D  
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R