Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bose L1 at two outdoor shows: Wow.  (Read 8174 times)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

I've had my Bose for about three months now. Wow. I did two outdoor shows yesterday with my L1 Model I with a single B1 sub. The first was a noisy Farmers Market. Vendors side by side on both sides of an entire city block packed with customers strolling through.  The Bose sounded fantastic and fills the entire area easily.

The other show was a more quiet large city park where I set up in the corner under a shelter with about six picnic tables.  I learned after the show that people could hear me (acoustic finger picking and vocals) clear as day more than 500 feet away on all FOUR sides!  Behind me was a large play area with the typical climbing and swinging kid stuff, and a wading pool.  Busy but not packed. The man who hired me said he could understand every word of the vocals clearly. And he said the guitar sounded fantastic.  This was 200 feet BEHIND me on the other side of the playground! But the coolest thing was this:  People were sitting at the tables 10 feet away and carrying on conversations at normal volumes.  (!) 

I have a new experience to report: Individuals come wandering toward me out of the distance with a confused look on their face.  They gradually get closer and closer until they are just a few feet away. Then they stop and listen for a bit, and then circle the stage area slowly shaking their heads. Sometimes they stay to chat between songs, sometimes they stay for the rest of the show, and sometimes they just leave. This has happened four times in the last two weeks.

I can now identify that confused look.  They are musicians or sound men who hear me form a distance and wonder where fantastic sound is coming from. 

I love this new system!
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »

I agree. these Bose sound systems are great. I would certainly get one if I played more gigs where I needed a good PA.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »

I absolutely love mine and get much the same reactions.  In fact, mine was so impressive that my church bought two (with 2 B1's apiece) for FOH usage.  I'm going to be using mine as my stage rig in a 8 piece rock/praise band on 10/4.  I'll post back on the experience, but judging from the rehearsals, it's gonna be great.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

dave42

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:52:24 AM »

dberch,
omg!! Isn't funny how people look at you! We've had several point at the tower and say, "Is the sound coming from that?".   bigrin  We started with one sub, but after we found out that the lows were not carrying the way the rest of the sound was, we got the second sub. We would never think of playing without 2 subs again. It just makes the sound so much richer.

Yep, when we got it, I seriously thought about making a FAQ sheet to hand to people. We spent so much time answering questions!

And yes, the Bose can fill a street with sound, or fill an old country church with rich tone.

Oh, the forums at Bose for this product are fantastic!!

Have fun!!!
Dave

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 06:41:25 PM »

A friend of mine has this system and it is truly great sounding. It seems like even I could figure that thing out and I'm somewhat of a Luddite!
dave42

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »

Update on our Bose..
My acoustic duo has had some bigger events of late, and we've taken on 3 other players at times. 10 xlr channels on the mixer used.

We invested in the PackLite extended bass package.. 2 more subs (4 total) with the amp to drive them (about the size of a book!). wow! It really is impressive with the whole band going through it. Even the guy who put together the event of our last (whole band) gig was impressed. Which is cool, because he really does like the Bose that much, but I think we changed his attitude a little .  bigrin

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:18:45 AM »

Dave thanks for the update. I've totally forgotten about Bose, I use to own a pair of Bose surround sound hifi speakers back in the 80's and she was awesome. I will look into it, thanks again
cheers
fongie
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:26:54 AM »

I don't want to hear this I've been thinking of coming into the 21 century with a PA.........crap.......... rolleye

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jimmyp

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

Really glad you like the Bose,but... One of my friends brought 2 sticks and a sub to my acoustic gig, 2 guitars, 3 vocals. I have been looking forward to using them for a long time. Honestly, I thought they sounded terrible, and so did my wife(SINGER). The other guitar player was predispositioned to not liking the Bose, so I don't count his opinion. There were no mids at all. Our voices sounded like thru a tin can, and we could barely hear ourselves, at a low volume gig.
  I really wanted them to sound good, but they were awful. We normally use 1 JBL Cabaret(I think 8612B is the #), 2 8's and a bi radial horn, and there is no comparison. I paid 450 for 2 cabs used, and I use a PV 200 watt had, nothing extravagant.

Please don't flame me, just my honest opinion, I'm glad the Bose worked for you. Opinions around St. Louis are very polarized on the Bose speaks. JP

Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »

Really glad you like the Bose,but... One of my friends brought 2 sticks and a sub to my acoustic gig, 2 guitars, 3 vocals. I have been looking forward to using them for a long time. Honestly, I thought they sounded terrible, and so did my wife(SINGER). The other guitar player was predispositioned to not liking the Bose, so I don't count his opinion. There were no mids at all. Our voices sounded like thru a tin can, and we could barely hear ourselves, at a low volume gig.
  I really wanted them to sound good, but they were awful. We normally use 1 JBL Cabaret(I think 8612B is the #), 2 8's and a bi radial horn, and there is no comparison. I paid 450 for 2 cabs used, and I use a PV 200 watt had, nothing extravagant.

Please don't flame me, just my honest opinion, I'm glad the Bose worked for you. Opinions around St. Louis are very polarized on the Bose speaks. JP

If the L1 Model II has terrible sound the problem probably lies in the person doing the EQ'ing. The last time we had bad sound, it was because of the guy fiddling with the knobs not the unit itself. Once you get used to the system and get your instrument settings correct they are the bees-knees. We run an acoustic guitar, tenor guitar, harmonica and four vocal mics, sub mixed on a Mackie board, into the Tone Engine and the L1 Modell II with a single bass module handles all that is asked of it.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »

Where were the L1's placed on the stage? Behind you? In front at the sides like a tradional PA?

www.davidberchtold.com
jimmyp

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

Sticks were 10 ft to the side and a little behind us, The guy who did sound uses them every weekend and swears by them. JP

Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:49:45 AM »

10 feet to the side? OMG no wonder it sounded like crap. The L1 system was designed to be directly behind the performer. 

www.davidberchtold.com
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 03:15:45 AM »

dberch,

thanks for this post. i'm a big fan of bose especially the L1 only due to its portability and being compact.

i've never heard one, but pleased to hear it astounded your audience and curious passers-by.

is it worth the money?

ricky
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »

is it worth the money?

ricky

Yes! I have the L1 Model II with the Tone Engine and a single bass module. We run a guitar, tenor guirtar, and harmonica, into inputs 1,2,3, and then sub-mix four vocal mics with a Mackie VLZ 3 1202 and run that mix into channels 4/5. The system handles all we ask from it. That being said, if we played outdoors more, I'd add a secod bass module. It is expensive, but worth it for me. I can't pick up anything much over 25 pounds anymore, due to spinal injury, and this system allows me to be able to play out with quality sound without re-injuring my lower spine. That's pretty cool to me!
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »

Yes! I have the L1 Model II with the Tone Engine and a single bass module. We run a guitar, tenor guirtar, and harmonica, into inputs 1,2,3, and then sub-mix four vocal mics with a Mackie VLZ 3 1202 and run that mix into channels 4/5. The system handles all we ask from it. That being said, if we played outdoors more, I'd add a secod bass module. It is expensive, but worth it for me. I can't pick up anything much over 25 pounds anymore, due to spinal injury, and this system allows me to be able to play out with quality sound without re-injuring my lower spine. That's pretty cool to me!

Good to know and great piece of info. Thanks again.

ricky
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »

is it worth the money?
Yes!  I've since added a T1 Tone match. It is a fantastic mixer.  When playing solo I don't use it (don't need it) but with my duo, I plug his vocal/harmonica mic and mando mic into it.  My L2 Model I with 1 bass sub handles the two of us perfectly.  I have not played anywhere in over a  year where I felt under powered. 

Plus set up and tear down is much easier than the traditional PA.

Well worth the money in my situation.
David

www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 02:55:03 AM »

Well had a chance to play one thru one today,very nice,clean tone but it won't work for what I want to do.S I traded and amp for a Mackie 402 mixer,got a deal on a Baggs Para Acoustic DI and some cable and ends.I'll be micing my Fender Princeton Reverb,running a line from my MIDI unit and then I also run an acoustic thru the DI to a Technical Pro powered PA cab.I also run a line direct from my board to the main board.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »

I've been using my Model 1 with the duo I'm currently playing in (just finished a gig tonight as a matter of fact).  It's great.  Both of us sing.  He plays a classical guitar, a steel string and a mandolin.  He runs all of them through a Line 6 POD XT Live. I play either my PV-09E or my LV-09E when he plays mandolin, otherwise I'm on one of my electrics - all run through a Line 6 POD X3 Live.  Mics and processors all hook up to a Mackie ProFX8 mixer.  We both love it and get nothing but great comments from the audiences.  BUT - you do have to be standing more or les in front of it, to hear it properly.  I think the spec for the lateral spread is 120 degrees.  I find that a minimum of 3 feet in front of the unit and within 45 degrees either side of the center line to be great for monitoring..

We use twp model 2's for FOH sound in my church's worship center, but they are in front of the band and so are useless for monitoring (we use Avioms and headphones for monitoring).

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

overnightjam

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »

I have a stage I am starting the for events, and wanting to get into sound and lighting. I am starting from scratch and no nothing about this business, other than I am a festival producer and usually hire people. So, now I am doing the sound myself with hiring people who know whats up.

I am looking for a solid sound system and an wondering how this Bose L1 will work for my stage which will be used outdoors is 15' x 25' performing area and is 40" to 50" of the ground. The coverage would need to be for 500 to 2500 people. Having a new system for the latest cutting edge technology would be my primary option, plus ease of set-up. I want to be able to offer a quality service to my clients and events.

Stage Photos Here

If I do decide this route, how many speakers would you recommend?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: