DIY belly fix on an ovation type guitar

Started by rockstar_not, July 29, 2008, 03:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mika on July 31, 2008, 03:04:02 PM
I used the one with the screw.  Just like the one pictured here:

Thanks mika, I may use the one with brass pins that also allows the ball end of the stings to slide thru on top. This would be a plus for me on the Sovereign I have.  I will still have to prevent the sinking of the fret board side in another way.

If you google ovation top removal  you should find a link to the ovation fan club. It shows how and where the top was cut off to fix the belly on an early legend i believe.

Before I started building my own gits I bought a used  ovation and cut the top off and replaced it with an X brace top using the info found. I used JB weld to secure the top back on.  Sounded better but still had the ovation sound. Good learning exp.

Have fun!
more guitars than talent

P-05 IS, om-03

Quote from: dependan on July 31, 2008, 06:41:35 PM

Thanks mika, I may use the one with brass pins that also allows the ball end of the stings to slide thru on top. This would be a plus for me on the Sovereign I have.  I will still have to prevent the sinking of the fret board side in another way.

Try googling JLD Bridge.  That should lead you to some reviews and discussions.  There have been several instances where the brass pin setup didn't work out  too well.  Either the pins don't fit well, or the saddle was already cut down, so that the break angle is not steep enough.  Look at the diagrams.  The string must pass thru a hole near the top of the pin vs going down into the pin hole.  Good luck with your repairs.
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

Quote from: mika on August 01, 2008, 12:28:25 PM
Try googling JLD Bridge.  That should lead you to some reviews and discussions.  There have been several instances where the brass pin setup didn't work out  too well.  Either the pins don't fit well, or the saddle was already cut down, so that the break angle is not steep enough.  Look at the diagrams.  The string must pass thru a hole near the top of the pin vs going down into the pin hole.  Good luck with your repairs.
I haven't looked at JLD bridge google yet, but Sovereigns are noted for poor saddles to begin with so I am making a large bone compensated saddle and I think the pins will actually help in that regard. Just my thought. Danny