I`m soliciting opinons on this type of wood...

Started by sneaky, July 29, 2008, 07:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I`m asking the same question around the web so I hope folks here will offer some input...heres the story...

the local shop had just got this in, didn`t even have a price yet. I asked em how much they said make an offer so I said...$50.oo?...they said OK. All solid wood and it`s been banged up some but thats never scared me off before. So gonna clean it up, strings look new, tuners screws are flatheads...shop said it`s a 1964... my wife confirmed later...and she reads the builder`s name as Morio Tasaki/Tazaki, whatever the guitar is it`s all solid wood and a quality guitars...ebony fretboard and bridge, thick slab of rosewood on the headstock, quality tuners and extremely clean inside...no visible glue...   heres she be...

It's Brazilian. Very nice how they even bookmatched the sides where they come together at the bottom.
A good $50 investment, Sneaky.

I concur. However, I was so hoping to get to say ... BUBINGA!!!

Definitely BRW, and pretty sweet looking at that.  I'd buy it ASAP.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

you know they had it lying on the floor when I walked into the shop, I`m just grateful nobody stepped on it...I picked it up and asked...whats this?...it wasn`t there yesterday...they said oh that, it`s junk junk...they felt the need to repeat that twice. So as I was looking it over I was trying to keep my best poker face...when I asked why it was junk they pointed to the scratches and dings...so I just nodded and said yeah, I see, in Japanese... hey you know that gift horse thing don`t you?
I was just playing it and I smelled it...I know I know, it`s a sickness...and it has a faint vanilla aroma...or something like it, hard to put my finger on ...but I can`t wait for the strings to stop stretching so I can really hear what it sounds like.

Sneaky
Nice Grab.     The tuners alone are probably worth $50   :cheers

nice find.  what does the top look like?
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

50 bucks....    :cop:   Those guys need some help who sold you this.... great find.

yeah 50, and I bet they would have taken less `cause when I said it they looked at each other and both said YES together. Confidentially I was prepared to go up to $100.oo, but thought I`d go low first.  :nanadance

Very nice treasure you've found there Sneaky.  Congratulations!
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

yeah thanks a lot, you know I know I got lucky. haggling is just not part of the culture here...maybe my skills have dulled... which is why things cost so much , other than old classicals I mean... folks just pay whatever the asking price is, too shy to haggle...except in Osaka, I`ve been told people there are totally different from any other Japanese city, haggling is part of the deal.
I thought I was being crafty with my $50.oo proposition,  was sure I was gonna get laughed out of the store so imagine my surprise when they accepted, I`d like to know what the conversation was between the two guys after I left...bet it was something like...can you BELieve that gaijin? Boy did we take him or what , hahaha... Wonder what they`d say if they could read the threads around the web that I started on this guitar. But you know, everybody came out happy, they think they got a deal and I KNOW I did. Nobody was injured and no feelings were hurt in the transaction. Gonna get a hardcase for this one `cause it deserves it, with the earthquakes here I`d hate for something to fall on it.