Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closest pick-up to ES?  (Read 1007 times)
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »

I'm coming out of the Taylor world - so if you're not a big ES fan, please forgive me.  whistling (that's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek)
I just want to know if there's a pick-up brand that would resemble the ES? Any opinions would be appreciated. 
Based on what I've read - I'm inclined to install the K&K pure western mini - in some of my guitars.
Help!  blush ricky
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »

I use the K & K pure western mini on my 000-50mt and I've been very pleased with it.   I'm not familiar at all with the Taylor system so I can't compare them.   I don't think you would be disapointed with the K & K.

Tuffythepug
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:40 PM »

The K+K will be similar to 1/2 of the ES - that is, the part of the ES that is mounted to the soundboard.  However, there is no magnetic string pickup in the K+K.  The ES uses both types of transducers and combines their signal in the ES pre-amp (with some modeling circuitry as well).

Taylor will sell a retrofit kit of the ES for $500 if you can find a luthier to install the whole thing.

If you are shooting for multiple guitars, why not try a Baggs I-Beam in one and a K+K in another?  There are many happy customers of both types.  I installed a K+K mini pure western in my L-03, but I think the next time I need to amplify an acoustic, I'll give the I-beam a try.  Seems like a simpler installation than the K+K.  I'm also not happy that the K+K direct into my pre-amp has too much low frequency 'thump'.

There's a trick to put a resistor across the output of the K+K to help mitigate that (Can't remember the value).  I tried building it into a cable I used exclusively for my Larry - that helped.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »

Scott,

Thanks for the info. Helpful indeed. I've been wondering about the Baggs I-beam no cut;
even the Bband A2.2 something or other with soundhole controls - this is also a no-cut pickup.

Heard a lot of good things about the K&K and a few of the "minor" complaints like the one issue you mentioned.
I hope you can figure out the resistor solution - then, educate the rest of the world about this.

Being an ES-fan, and knowing that Taylor will not sell the ES-aftermarket - it's a proprietary thing - ES is for Taylors only exclusively!!!
...that's why I started this thread...

I want the closest imitation to the ES setup for my non-T especially my upcoming Larri acoustic guitar(s).

Warmly, ricky
kdonovan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »

I think the LR Baggs M1 sounds alot like the Taylor ES. I play out with a couple people that both play 314 Taylors. One has the ES and the other an M1 passive pick up and they are very similar in sound.

kdonovan

kdonovan

Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 05:04:07 AM »

I've been real happy with my iMix.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »

I think the LR Baggs M1 sounds alot like the Taylor ES. I play out with a couple people that both play 314 Taylors. One has the ES and the other an M1 passive pick up and they are very similar in sound.

kdonovan
Hhhmmmmm... I'm gonna have to check out that Baggs M1. Thanks! ricky
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:45:06 AM »

I've been real happy with my iMix.
Thanks Dale... every little bit helps. I've test driven a LSV-11e at a local store here but never plugged it in. Hopefully, when I'm closer to make a decision, I'll check out the iMix.
ricky
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:57:26 PM »

I'm coming out of the Taylor world - so if you're not a big ES fan, please forgive me.  whistling (that's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek)
I just want to know if there's a pick-up brand that would resemble the ES? Any opinions would be appreciated. 
Based on what I've read - I'm inclined to install the K&K pure western mini - in some of my guitars.
Help!  blush ricky

A SBT/mag dual source will be the closest.  If you use a dual source blender with separate gain and separate eq control prior to blending, the setup will likely outperform an ES.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »

Scott,

Thanks for the info. Helpful indeed. I've been wondering about the Baggs I-beam no cut;
even the Bband A2.2 something or other with soundhole controls - this is also a no-cut pickup.

ES is for Taylors only exclusively!!! ...that's why I started this thread...

I want the closest imitation to the ES setup for my non-T especially my upcoming Larri acoustic guitar(s).

Warmly, ricky

Hi Ricky
I have the B-band in my LV-10e, and the I-mix in my SD-50e. Both excellent systems, and I'm extremely happy with both. As you rightly say, both of the "no-cut" design, which is most important to me with the future in mind.(I regard both my Larri's as keepers) The I-mix has probably the edge of the two, because the pre-amp's eq. is fully adjustable with a phillips screwdriver through the soundhole and blend setting at the rim of the sound hole.
The ES is as you might know intrusive (the controls) by design, and perhaps (at least for me) less desirable. 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: