Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappointing Name Acts?  (Read 4273 times)
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 11:09:41 PM »

I saw The Cranberries at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto around 2001 and the sound was dreadful! The entire show Delores freaked at the sound guys.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
NotConvicted

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »

that would be every Elvis Costello show I've been too . . . .  a real shame.

funny enough, my daughter's flute teacher just saw him at the Post-Gazette Pavillion last week.  her response when asked "How was it?" was, "I should have taken your advice and skipped it."

NC

Larrivee Satin Parlor
Martin OM-28JM #82 of 404
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Burns Steer
Gibson '52 ES-125
Cort Source

Haiku to Physics:
I don't understand.
Could you explain it again?
I still don't get it.
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 08:01:53 PM »

A John Meyer / Sheryl Crow show at Shoreline in Mountain View California 2007.

Both acts were suprisingly boring.. And Sheryl opened her show with "Hello Frisco!" I forgot who the opening ac was, but they were fantastic.

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »

ZZ Top , Melbourne, Australia around 2003. The mix was terrible, all I could hear was Dusty Hills Fuzz laden bass. When they played 'La Grange' I was expecting that Riff to go right though me, but it sounded wimpy and thin. Very dissappionting. crying

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »

A few years ago when I went to see Tom Petty Lucinda Williams opened the show and I fell in love with her music not knowing much about her before hand. 

+1 for Lucinda, top stuff !

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
shawl

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »

that would be every Elvis Costello show I've been too . . . .  a real shame.

funny enough, my daughter's flute teacher just saw him at the Post-Gazette Pavillion last week.  her response when asked "How was it?" was, "I should have taken your advice and skipped it."

NC

That is a shame! I haven't seen him play in years but saw him a couple of times back in 1989 or 1990 (I think it was his "Spike" tour), and both shows were pretty good, I thought. One show he did all the songs alone on acoustic, the other had his band, Nick Lowe was playing and singing on a lot of the songs, too.

markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »

Back in the late 70's I went to a Ricky Scaggs (post bluegrass/hotband period) just as he went pop,before going back to bluegrass. Anyway there was an opening act called Cowboy Jazz which was a folky/bluegrass/honkytonk swing foresome, that was so good that the crowd was cheering for more even during Ricky's set. It wasn't that Ricky was bad, but those girls were so good. I'm not sure what happened to them,but I still think of that show fondly..

Update.. Hey I googled them here they are..
http://rhumba.com/alaska/cowboy_jazz.html

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »

Lots of points to touch on here:

The "whole bad" night thing.  One of the BEST and one of the WORST shows I've ever seen were by the same artist, in the same town, only two years apart.  Steve Earle in Madison.  The good night was amazing.  The bad night was so bad that my wife won't even listen to him anymore (I will, don't worry!)

Venue size. I too have set an unofficial limit at about 2000 capacity.  Problem is (obviously) you can't see many big names.  I'm thinking I have to break this rule to see TOOL someday soon.  But then again, in the right situation, even a big venue can be great.  Two examples, 1) my girlfriend at the time grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowd at Rich Stadium (Buffalo Bills) to see the Dead from the FRONT ROW down on the stadium field, 2) a friend had VIP passes at Bonnaroo three years ago and we saw Radiohead with 100,000 others.  But we were in bleachers so you could see over everyone's head.  That was easily the best concert of my 25+ years of concert going.  Radiohead was not "distanced" by the huge crowd, they were inspired.  Granted, these are extreme (and fortunate) examples.  The thought of standing among the masses (in other people's sweat and urine) generally does lose it's appeal as we get older.

Another thought...I can't help but wonder who my 9 month old son will see in concert.  Maybe the Stones will still be touring when he gets his driver's license

Another thought...how many people might have been swayed to really like a band that they saw on a special night, that on any other night might not have impressed them?

WOAH...I just put my son in the pack-n-play for a nap, Norman Blake "Back in Sulpher Springs" playing to soothe him (thanks to another thread on this forum for that recommendation)...I'm in the next room typing away at this post...suddenly NPR is BLARING out of the speakers about the presidential debate!  He simultaneously switched the amplifier from CD to radio while jacking up the volume by reaching over the top of the crib.  Hmmm...maybe he'll be a studio engineer someday.

Be well.

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 01:54:51 AM »

Heh Penner, flatlander sent me a "care package" of some really cool Clarence White, and some other hard to find stuff.  No disappointments here.  Danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »

I used to rave over the playing of Davy Graham when I was getting into "folk-baroque" guitar playing back in the mid-60s, and jammed with Davy on several occasions - mainly at "Les Cousins" in Greek Street in London's Soho district. He was just superb.

Fast forward to 1968 and I took my then new wife to see the man I'd been raving about for years - at the Cousins. In Davy walked, carrying a cheap guitar instead of his lovely old Gibson J45... sat on the stool on stage... muttered something incomprehensible... and keeled over backwards into the piano...

If ever I thought heroin was cool (which I didn't), that would have dispelled any illusions. What a tragic night - and it's been a patchy life for him ever since then.

I also saw the Everley Brothers in the late 80s - absolutely awful. Don's voice had deepened to the point where he and Phil just couldn't do the old harmonies. The only songs that worked for them were the modern ones, such as Macca's "Wings Of A Nightingale".
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »

ZZ Top , Melbourne, Australia around 2003. The mix was terrible, all I could hear was Dusty Hills Fuzz laden bass. When they played 'La Grange' I was expecting that Riff to go right though me, but it sounded wimpy and thin. Very dissappionting. crying
They were bad in Raleigh last month too.  The signing was purposely at a lower volume than the rest of the sound, yuk.  When the other guy sang his volume was too high.  They sounded exactly like the radio with nothing added to the performance, not that they were ever a great band.  They barely moved on stage and when they did, it was the guitar and bass moving in sync, just like the original 80's videos.  On a positive note, Brooks & Dunn opened for them and they were real good.  Unfortunately for ZZ Top, they really aren't good enough to open for Brooks & Dunn.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 01:31:09 PM »

Speaking of ZZ top, I just saw a concert on VH1 ,the bass tone was awful,and Frank Beard was drumming too loud to do the intricate stuff he can.
Dusty Hill has never been a great bass player, but yeah ,same old stuff like the 80's
Glad I never paid to see them.
Dave
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »

ZZ top = has beens.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »

ZZ top = has beens.
   What kinda beans they got?

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »

What kinda beans they got?

I don't care whats they beans, whats are they now?

If it sounds good, it is good.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: