GUILD D-55 with DTAR?

Started by hovikmx, July 17, 2008, 01:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

have any of you guys played this? Does anyone own it? how do you guys like it....
Larrivee D-09e
Takamine EG15SC

I don't own it but I had a chance to spend some time with my friends. It's bottom end heavy with a bit of country twang. While I like my cheap Guild GAD-50, the D-55 did blow it completely out of the water for volume and clarity. They really do a good job with the D-55 as it is their signature model but I would look into their new contemporary line instead.

I did not have a chance to try out the D-TAR but the friend I borrowed the git off of swears by it. He records on a regular basis and seems to favor the D-TAR rather than his older Fishmann pickups.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

D-55 definitely ( mines a '71 D-55)  and ive heard some great things about the D-tar - but honestly would rather have a k+k mini - besides being alot less bucks , the darn thing doesn't need batteries !    :guitar

I have no experience with the DTAR pickup....but I love my D-55!  The sound is warm, rich and complex.   I wouldn't say it is the loudest dreadnaught that I have ever played, but I feel the volume has improved in the year I have owned it.  (I bought it new)  Probably the best word I have heard to describe it is "majestic".  There is a lot of bottom end, but I have never strummed a guitar that homogenized into a wall of blended sound quite like this dread.  I used to own a F50R which was beautiful as well...but it clearly had more note separation and was brighter.  That said, I love the way this guitar finger picks.  The sound is thick and sweet and there is wonderful sustain.  I have sampled a lot of guitars in the last few years...and this is one that has stood out and has stayed! :thumb

peace, mike
Guild D-55
Larrivee LS-05....amazing!

I had a D-Tar Wavelength in one of my guitars for about a year.  While I did switch back to K&K, I will say that I like the Wavelength the best of any undersaddle pickup I've ever used.  It is warm, fairly natural sounding, and has excellent dynamic range. It doesn't quack much, even when you really bang on it.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Guild D55's are great guitars that got some balls to them, I'd lovt to own one somedsy.......................here's a short you tube clip of what one sounds like.......

GooGoo Dolls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1DmnJN8gQ

Heres a nice rag on a D-55.  Some nice tunes on a Guild on this guys youtube page.   :+1:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I have played several D55's and they are all solid great sounding guitars that have, I feel, a richer sound than a D28. I recently acquired a Guild CO-1C (Contemporary design, cedar top, mahogany b&S) with DTAR and I thing the system is very responsive. Sounds better to me than many of the Fishman systems. I have read of people thinking it weighs down the end of the guitar, but I'm not feeling it.
Guilds are great values.
Good luck!
tj