Best Larrivee Dealers ?

Started by Danny, July 11, 2008, 10:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on July 12, 2008, 10:40:11 AM
   Thanks, I have a brother in Jackson and a sister in Chelsea, so that is on my list now. Danny
Dan, if you're that close, I'm just a few miles away in Ann Arbor. I can show you
SD-50MT TSB
00-60
L-05MT
OM-50TSB
P-03
P-09
BT-60

the welcome mat is out.
-Q.

Quote from: Queequeg on July 15, 2008, 01:20:06 PM
Dan, if you're that close, I'm just a few miles away in Ann Arbor. I can show you
SD-50MT TSB
00-60
L-05MT
OM-50TSB
P-03
P-09
BT-60

the welcome mat is out.
-Q.
Sounds great, I'm not sure when to go, but hope it's soon. Thanks, Danny

I've got to give my vote to Jim Hollier at Trinity Guitars. I just got my LV03SP from him. Great guitar, great service and best price. Thoroughly recommend

:bgrin:

Quote from: devster on August 12, 2008, 08:04:51 PM
I've got to give my vote to Jim Hollier at Trinity Guitars. I just got my LV03SP from him. Great guitar, great service and best price. Thoroughly recommend

:bgrin:
:welcome: To the forum "devster" Jim does get high revues here. I do hope to visit his shop someday.
                 I look forward to your posts.    Happy playin  :guitar Danny

In other discussions I've raved over Spruce Tree Music in Madison, WI.  They have 40-50 Larries of all types at any given time.  A small store, nestled in a neighborhood business district about 8 blocks from the state capitol building.  They only sell fine acoustic instruments and are known for quality repair work.

Madison is a great town, 200,000 or so population, great food, arts and lakes...and BEER.  It seems that lots of folks outside of WI never get to Madison, which is a shame.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

40-50 Larrivees is a lot, I see 4 or 5 usually.

Quote from: dependan on July 11, 2008, 09:52:58 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have daughters in college in California, in laws in Kentucky (but we fly in to Nashville) and friends that I promised to visit in up-state New York so all of the above are on my list. I wasn't sure where Jim Holler's place was, but I already wanted to see his store some day. Artisan would be an easy stop.
     Thanks again, Danny

What area is the college in?

In the U.S., it has to be Elderley Instruments in East Lansing Michigan.
A virtual candy store for musicians and they are great people to deal with.
In Canada, The Twelfth Fret in Toronto.
Another amazing store with terrific inventory and a great staff.
Glen

Quote from: Walkerman on August 14, 2008, 01:19:53 PM
What area is the college in?
Davis.... not far from Tuffy I think.

Danny
If your daughters attend UC Davis it's about 8 miles from my place.  You got two girls going there ??
How can you afford guitar strings, let alone guitars.    :roll

I know....I've had two daughters who attented UCD Davis and Sacramento State.  Paid a lot of money to prove they were smarter than their old man.

They are doing some easier courses first in Community college. They haven't started at UC yet. And I'm not sure when and if they will. They're 19 and things change a lot at that age. Both are sweet as can be though and do try hard.   
      And as far as being smarter, I poke fun at them a lot and say you college kids can't do this or that and I only have a G.E.D.   Like a few days ago when I stomped them at scrabble. They record the day when they beat me at board games. I don't show them any mercy, so when they do win they know I didn't give it to them. That may sound hard but really all my kids love it when they can beat me. None of them ever win at chess though.(so far) :whistling:

I haven't been able to beat my oldest daughter at Scrabble since she became a high school English teacher.  She just knows too many words.   My youngest daughter is now able to whip me at Trivial Pursuit because I've grown forgetful and she has a mind like a steel trap; never forgets anything. I still like playin' the games though cause it's just fun to be around them.  I can give 'em both a run for their money at dominoes however.   I guess I've never been particularly brainy though;  "Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse" my wife often says of me. 

Hey, what community college are your kids  going to ?   There's a community college campus about 4 blocks from my house.

Tuffythepug

They were driving over to Sacramento but this year they will be in Davis, but I don't know which campus yet.

On the scrabble playing I win because I see 7 letter words quite often, my problem is usually spelling though. I read a lot and I study new words almost every day. At one point my vocabulary got above most people I would talk to including my Phd. Brother, so I backed off and don't use them in conversation, but I still am very interested in communication. A teacher once said "Communication is the number one problem in mankind today" I don't think it's number one but it is a biggie. You can see that in action on this forum almost everyday.
   But it is very cool to have a lot of views expressed informally and yet with some wit and courtesy prevailing for the most part.   
              I have an interest in geography and peoples of different cultures, so my twins and I play an old National Geographic Game called "Global Pursuit" It has parts that are way outdated but it's another game they enjoy and it teaches them about the earth and history and folks. They still ask to play it and it always surprises me in a good way.
Like I said before they are good kids.      Sorry bout the long answer.       Danny

If you ever make it out to Santa Cruz, CA check out Sylvan Music on the corner of Mission and Bay. Owner Al and his staff are nice and laid back. They carry a lot of Larrivees, Santa Cruz, and Lowden guitars. Don't miss their Vintage Room!
2010 Larrivee Forum IV
1974 Martin D-28
"Frankenstein" 1948 Gibson J-50 Body/L-00 Neck
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux (Name Created by adorshki on the Let's talk Guild Forum)
2008 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com

:+1: Trinity Guitars, here's a link to the post with pics of the lateset one he did for me with some pics.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=22623.msg199152#msg199152
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: bayoubengal on August 15, 2008, 01:07:48 AM
If you ever make it out to Santa Cruz, CA check out Sylvan Music on the corner of Mission and Bay. Owner Al and his staff are nice and laid back. They carry a lot of Larrivees, Santa Cruz, and Lowden guitars. Don't miss their Vintage Room!
Thanks for that one , I have not heard of them before.  I love your signature, I'm not cajun but I'm an Ozark hillbilly.       Welcome to the forum.                         Danny
Quote from: Michael T on August 15, 2008, 06:59:40 AM
:+1: Trinity Guitars, here's a link to the post with pics of the lateset one he did for me with some pics.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=22623.msg199152#msg199152
Thanks for this link

Quote from: dependan on August 14, 2008, 04:51:31 PM
    Davis.... not far from Tuffy I think.
Danny...if you are going to visit your girls before you come to Oxnard, then you can go to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in the Bay area, Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz (spend a night in that town) and do a tour of the Santa Cruz Guitar Company shop.  Then, stop at Lightening Joe's in Arroyo Grande (no Larrivees, but a very cool guitar shop).

I have had good luck with Jason at Notable Guitars................
R/Bud
P-05MT

Thanks Danny! I grew up in Shreveport near the Texas/Arkansas border, and my Mom is a South Louisiana Cajun.

Enjoy your tour of Guitar Shops!
2010 Larrivee Forum IV
1974 Martin D-28
"Frankenstein" 1948 Gibson J-50 Body/L-00 Neck
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux (Name Created by adorshki on the Let's talk Guild Forum)
2008 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com

Quote from: Walkerman on August 15, 2008, 09:20:25 AM
Danny...if you are going to visit your girls before you come to Oxnard, then you can go to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in the Bay area, Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz (spend a night in that town) and do a tour of the Santa Cruz Guitar Company shop.  Then, stop at Lightening Joe's in Arroyo Grande (no Larrivees, but a very cool guitar shop).
Wow!  I may have to borrow or rent a R100-RT for that trip. Or get my wife to tag along. She's buggin me to go to Montana this fall. Can't say I wouldn't mind goin there. Miles city, where "The Rodeo"  is held and Gibson (sorry) I'll always be a fan of Gibson and Washburn, they just say "American Guitar" to me. Not that others don't. These 2 are the ones that I would like to have something pre-war of.
      Anyway sounds like a plan on that California trip.      Thanks, Danny