Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Standard Phantom Power Value Changing?  (Read 4678 times)
ark

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:33:40 AM »

I had thought the standard for phantom power voltage was 48 volts -- condenser mics like the Marshall MXL 603S require 48 + - 4v. But now I see some of the recommended acoustic amps with XLR inputs, like the Fishman Loudbox 100, only supply 15 v of phantom power. Is there a move away from 48v to something in the 15v range for newer mics?
Thx,
Al
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:05:40 AM »

No professional recording equipment still uses 48V. Cheap phantom supplies have been around for awhile with less than 48V. Those mics will probably still run on 15V or 24V.

ark

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:56 AM »

Well, I admittedly know very little about this, but looking around the net a bit I find  mixing consoles by Mackie and Soundcraft listing for well over $5000 that supply 48v of phantom power, and mics by Neumann and Audio Technica that list from about $800 to $1500 that require 48v. I assume this is considered good quality, if not professional quality, equipment. On the other hand, in looking at some of the amp manufacturers discussed here on the Forum, I found  amps by the following that supply the listed phantom voltage:

Roland -- 48v
Fender -- 15v
Fishman -- 15v
AER -- 30v
Genz Benz - 13.6v

Quite a variety.

Al
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

Ark, are you certain about the XLR rating with your 100 series loudbox?

I have a Fishman performer and while the input for the 1/4 inch jack has a 15v preamp available, the XLR pre is a 48v. (They are both on the same channel and the 1/4 inch will cancel the XLR if both are used at the same time). I assume the 1/4 inch lower value was added for keyboard or TRS input. I have no problems using condenser, or dynamic mic's with mine at the XLR, line out feeds are balanced line level for board patches too.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »

There is no move by the industry to change the phantom standard away from 48V. Most condensor microphones require the full 48V to operate correctly, or at all. There are some very nice mics available (Audio Technica) that are designed to operate within a 11~52V range, usually with a small change in dynamic range and frequency response when used at the lower voltage.

The purpose of offering the lower voltage phantom supply is usually for one of two reasons:

1) An existing power source within the device is used (generally, phantom power is produced by a separate power supply within the device) in order to reduce cost

2) The lower voltage is offered to power "T" mics (generally looking for 6~15V on a TS connection) found in some guitar PU configurations

It is important to check all specs of equipment when determining how a new piece will fit with your existing gear.

The wonderful thing about standards is there are so many to choose from!

Ron

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »

No professional recording equipment still uses 48V.

There should be a comma after 'No'.

48V is still used.

ark

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »

Michael T -- I went back and rechecked the manual for the Fishman 100 Loadbox. It says it provides phantom voltages of 24v for the XLR input, and 15v for the ring on the 1/4" input ( all for input #2, I believe).

Jeremy3220 -- I misread your post. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks all for the responses -- I now have a better understanding. For awhile I thought my Marshal 603S was "outta style" by needing 48v of phantom voltage. This all started because I'm kind of looking for an acoustic practice amp that will handle both a K&K mini (in my OM-05) and the 603s mic, and was disappointed to see that some of the "recommended" amps, such as from the companies listed above, won't support the 48v phantom voltage I would need.

Thx,
Al
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

Michael T -- I went back and rechecked the manual for the Fishman 100 Loadbox. It says it provides phantom voltages of 24v for the XLR input, and 15v for the ring on the 1/4" input ( all for input #2, I believe).

Strange they would use two different thresholds for the 100 and performer series. Then again gotta justify the bucks somehow eh? Just a thought, if you haven't already bought your amp. I have been seriously considering trading my performer for one of those new Fishman Solo amps, reviews are good although I have not tried one myself yet. Supposed to be less than half the price of the Bose, and features a line array with a great self contained bass driver system for acoustics. You might look into one of those too.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »

No professional recording equipment still uses 48V.

???  A look around any professional studio will show otherwise.
ark

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

Michael T
I'm afraid the Fishman Solo amp is way out of my price (and talent!) range. I just play at home -- I tell folks I only play in the shower -- so I'm looking for a small, used amp that is in the $300 - $400 range.

Al
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »

???  A look around any professional studio will show otherwise.
read the rest of the thread.

sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:32:09 AM »

Got it.  I didn't see your correction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: