Electric Guitar Amp Speakers...

Started by rrgguitarman, June 19, 2008, 09:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

While rearranging the garage I ran into my "OLD" JORDAN Stagemate 75W amp the other day. This guy is over 35 years old and the speakers sound kind of bad.
I'm thinking about putting in some of these speakers from Carvin (British Series)

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR12-16

Has anyone tried these speakers?
The $39.99 price tag is driving my decision but, I don't want to put in something that is going to make it sound horrible.
Is there anything else that might sound good that are not too expensive?
Thanks.
Ruben

If your Stagemate is one of those portable PA types, you don't really want to be putting an electric guitar amp speaker in there as a replacement. 

If it's like the newer Stagemates, it has a 10" woofer and tweeters, right?  Probably best to call or email Carvin and see what they recommend for replacements.

For a true, cheaper electric guitar amp speaker replacement, I like the Warehouse Guitar Speaker Veteran 30, which is a Celestion Vintage 30 clone:  wgs speakers.

QuoteIf your Stagemate is one of those portable PA types

Not a PA
It is an Electric Guitar Amp.
I'll check out the clones.

I'm trying to get the cleanest sound possible.

thanks.
Ruben

Hi Ruben - don't know if you already found something, but I realized I forgot to mention Weber speakers, too.  Lots of great options from him and all price points.
Good luck!

Thanks sfumato.
I've looked at the Webers.
I'm looking at the vinatage clones.
Have you tried them?
I have a Celestion V30 on my Crate and sounds real good.
Ruben

Didn't like the selections at Weber......

Well....I don't know much about the whole WGS line, but I do have one of the Vintage 30 clones in my Deluxe 5e3 (tweed) amp and I think it's great!  A lot of people run alnicos (like the Celestion Blue or the Weber blue) in the 5e3 but I found it a little flabby on the low end, so I wanted to try a good ceramic speaker and it did the trick for me.  Tweeds tend to overdrive quick on their own and can have a lot of bass response and I think this speaker actually works really well with the amp....and wow, is it loud (in a good way).

I got mine back when Warehouse Speaker was just starting up their business and they were offering them at a special of $20 a speaker, which was a steal....they're still a great deal at the current price and obviously less than a real V30 if you wanted to experiment.

Hope this helps!
Jane

QuoteDidn't like the selections at Weber......

Yes, they have a very nice selection and everything I've read about the Webers have been good.

I purchased a 2x12 cabinet from Carvin thinking that I could run from the Jordan but, the more I work with this beast the more I realize that is just too darn heavy!
I've been dealing with bad back for over 18 years and this beast is no fun to move around so, I think that it is going up for sale!

Ruben

I forgot to add that I own a Crate Stealth 50GT with a Celestion V30 (another heavy sucker) but lighter than the Jordan.
And I also own a Traynor YCV20WR with a Celestion Greenback, not too heavy but, not clean enough...it breaks up really quick.

One good thing that came out of the 2x12 cabinet purchase is that it is light and I can get a Head that is light so they can be moved around easily.

Now, I'm looking at a Head that will give me a very clean sound...any ideas?
Thanks.
Ruben

If you are looking for a light alternative, try looking for a Reverend Kingsnake. It is incredibly light and has a switch that will move you from a clean fender sound to a dirty American sound to British hard rock sound at the switch of a button. Or, if you want to stay with a separate cabinet/head configuration, look for a Kingsnake or Goblin head and I think you can still purchase the Alltone speakers straight from Reverend, or the later models used Jensen NEO speakers that do not add weight at all.

No relation and etc... but:
http://cgi.ebay.com/REVEREND-KINGSNAKE-1X12-COMBO-EXC-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ300237608828QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have performed the mentioned alterations to the amp that he mentions in his description. They are both very common modifications that Joe Naylor (designer) recommends and performs himself. I love the tone. Best of all, the whole unit is only 31 lbs. Actually, 30.9 per my shipping scale. It is easily the lightest amp I've ever owned.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on June 30, 2008, 01:14:30 PM
If you are looking for a light alternative, try looking for a Reverend Kingsnake. It is incredibly light and has a switch that will move you from a clean fender sound to a dirty American sound to British hard rock sound at the switch of a button. Or, if you want to stay with a separate cabinet/head configuration, look for a Kingsnake or Goblin head and I think you can still purchase the Alltone speakers straight from Reverend, or the later models used Jensen NEO speakers that do not add weight at all.

No relation and etc... but:
http://cgi.ebay.com/REVEREND-KINGSNAKE-1X12-COMBO-EXC-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ300237608828QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have performed the mentioned alterations to the amp that he mentions in his description. They are both very common modifications that Joe Naylor (designer) recommends and performs himself. I love the tone. Best of all, the whole unit is only 31 lbs. Actually, 30.9 per my shipping scale. It is easily the lightest amp I've ever owned.

Thanks for your input. I've read some great reviews about the Reverend.

I'm thinking about going with a Solid State Head, maybe the Vox AD100H?
There is a clip on youtube that sounds really good.

Anyone own this amp?
Ruben

Quote from: rrgguitarman on June 30, 2008, 12:30:31 PM
I forgot to add that I own a Crate Stealth 50GT with a Celestion V30 (another heavy sucker) but lighter than the Jordan.
And I also own a Traynor YCV20WR with a Celestion Greenback, not too heavy but, not clean enough...it breaks up really quick.

One good thing that came out of the 2x12 cabinet purchase is that it is light and I can get a Head that is light so they can be moved around easily.

Now, I'm looking at a Head that will give me a very clean sound...any ideas?
Thanks.

Boy you aren't kidding - that Jordan is a beast!  :roll

I'm partial to old Fender tubes for my sparkly clean, but I don't know of any current production Fender models available in a head other than the Super-Sonic, which is a combination Vibrolux and Bassman (and not cheap):  store link

In your other thread, you mentioned the Vox AD100VTH.  I haven't played that wattage model but I did own the 30 watt model for a while.  They're fun and have cool effects and amp models built in.  But if you're used to tubes, it's hard to say if you'd be satisfied with the sound over the long term.....

In your shoes, I'd almost go the jazz guitar player's route and go with a super lightweight, super clean solid state head (paired with your 2x12 cab) and something like a Vox Tonelab or other multifx if needed/wanted.  Fender makes one called the Jazzmaster Ultralight which looks cool (here's a review: article link).  Acoustic Image, Raezer's Edge, Henriksen all also make high(er) end solid state heads/combos, too.